Darug

Restoring an 80s Wild willy

Hi all. I hopefully will regain my 1984 wild willy with a futaba 4 channel Radio. I have a WW2, however what would it take to restore my original ww, assuming that the motor receiver + transmitter are okay?

Depends on the shape it's in, lots of parts are now available as 3D printed in good quality. Motor and gearbox would be the important bit and the state the potential parts on the rear axle are in, they tend to fall apart on some cars.

Hi,

as Waterbok says, the rear axle assembly can be fragile. Other problem areas are chassis covers, these tend to crack around the mounting screws, tyres will be perished, but you can get very good repro's on ebay now. The front grill tends to break easily, and as this is different to the WW2 version it isn't easy to replace. Same goes for the windscreen, especially the little alloy mounting arms.

Having said all that, if plastic is cracked but complete, it can be repaired - it can even be rebuilt up if needed. 3D printed parts are available too, as Waterbok says.

I'm currently restoring a WW for @barneys66 - you can see the build thread here:

there may well be some spares that Barney won't need, so give me and/or him a shout when you get yours - might be able to help :)

Thanks dude. I was thinking I just needed a new battery and charger. Lol.

I don't think it's been used since @1995, even then the battery died after 2 mins.

Don't run it with old electronics, get something new if you don't already have something. Like a Flysky GT2E remote, quicrun 1060 ESC. Battery get a 5cell 6volt NiMh, fast enough but not to fast to break stuff and less strain in the components. I wouldn't go Lipo on the vintage stuff.

If you need a manual send me a PM 

2 hours ago, Darug said:

Thanks dude. I was thinking I just needed a new battery and charger. Lol.

I don't think it's been used since @1995, even then the battery died after 2 mins.

no worries mate and if you need any advice etc feel free to ask - happy to help :) 

16 hours ago, waterbok said:

Don't run it with old electronics, get something new if you don't already have something. Like a Flysky GT2E remote, quicrun 1060 ESC. Battery get a 5cell 6volt NiMh, fast enough but not to fast to break stuff and less strain in the components. I wouldn't go Lipo on the vintage stuff.

If you need a manual send me a PM 

Thank you for that. Believe it or not, despite several house moves, I still have the manual (though it is a bit frayed).