Does every Dutch guy here live close to a beach, except me??  :lol:

But indeed, I also thought that having an air compressor can be a very handy tool around the house. For getting junk off the RC cars, off the kid, inflating tires, etc...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

Does every Dutch guy here live close to a beach, except me??  :lol:

Have car, will drive. We're about an hour away from the beach. For us, this is close.

28 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

off the kid,

Hahaha! The mental image is hilarious. :P (Better than a high pressure washer I suppose)

@GooneyBird, those pics look awesome. The third one is indeed more than suitable for a Tamiya RC Guidebook. Mrs GooneyBird definitely deserves a pat on the back for that one.

I wondered if you might head out to the beach over the last couple of days. Carpe diem and all that. looks great, hope you had fun!

On 2/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, GooneyBird said:

The steering servo is a PowerHD high-torque waterproof thing I got from HobbyKing. It should have about 16KG of pulling force @5V. It seems the be well up to the job, steering both axles even while at a standstill. 

This I got to see as it will prove my newly installed 25KG servo (DS3228MG - which can barely move the wheels at standstill)  is full of baloney lol.

40 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

This I got to see as it will prove my newly installed 25KG servo (DS3228MG - which can barely move the wheels at standstill)  is full of baloney lol.

I find that the main problem are the servo savers. The servo will go from lock to lock at standstill, but the servo savers will flex and not allow the wheels to steer fully.

I tried tightening the servo savers down, but that meant I broke the upper steering arm on the first run. :P

• Like 1

Also the plastic servo mount secured to the plastic bottom plate secured to the plastic chassis... maybe it's asking too much for standing still wheel turning.

What aftermarket lexan bodies will fit this Clod chassis in case you wanted a runner shell to beat on?

I just tried sitting a Proline f100 Ford truck shell ( grabbed of my 1/10 HPI Jumpshot MT) which is meant for a 1/10 Traxxas Stampede,  it looked awful and the front body posts posts were too near the edges lof the shell and rear posts not high enough.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:50 AM, GTodd said:

I NEED a Clod!!! A big OG red one!

That's how it started for me as well.

This forum, I swear, is not good for one's wallet and/or sanity.

And for me a super clod won't due. I need a red OG. I spent all day on the net trying to find Red F parts! No luck!

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

And for me a super clod won't due. I need a red OG. I spent all day on the net trying to find Red F parts! No luck!

Any idea if the bullhead yellow parts  would take dye?

5 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Any idea if the bullhead yellow parts  would take dye?

I'm sure they will, maybe I'll buy a set and see what happens.

5 hours ago, Super Clodbuster Junkie said:

To stop the plastic servo savers from flexing, this might work.

Good one! I have a few spare bits now, but the next time something breaks I'll look into those.

Remember when I said I'd be keeping this one mostly stock? Yeah, me neither. :P

• Like 1

Not much, honestly. I've been out driving the thing a couple of times, but other than that it's been sitting on a shelf mostly.

The rear bumper fell off on the last drive, the mounting points just sort of shattered. Old brittle plastic will do that I suppose. I've ordered a new set online, and I hope it gets here soon so it'll look vaguely normal again.

Whats-App-Image-2019-03-31-at-15-55-42.j

Whats-App-Image-2019-03-31-at-15-55-59.j

Honestly, who takes a Clod to an onroad track? I do! :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And after all that on-road action for the big Clod, it was time to do some proper 1980s style car crushing with it!

I've mowed the lawn (sorta...), the yard is still in its proper state of disarray, but since I've got a few days off from work I still grabbed a moment to do some RC'ing!

Also, the wife is out of the house for a few hours, and those moments are precious and few. :P 

• Like 5

*Blows the dust off of this thread*
*cough cough* 
Not Corona, don't worry. 

I still have the Clod. And I still use it somewhat frequently. But lately I've been noticing a distinct lack of something on the truck. 

Yeah. Mirrors. With all the Chrome doo-dads Tamiya bestowed on it, they somehow forgot mirrors. Now, the Tamiya Hilux actually has decently accurate mirrors for a K10-truck...
HiLuxe.JPG 23218127-1976-chevrolet-blazer-jumbo-128

.. but they require three separate parts trees AND a metal parts bag. Ugh.

Now, I don't mind going to the period-correct aftermarket for mirrors. It is, after all, a monster truck from the '80s, and Lords know they ran those things through the Sears catalog and had all the aftermarket parts stick to it on its way out. I mean, bug shields, roll bars, blackout headlights... so why not aftermarket mirrors? 

But where do you get mirrors....? Oh wait, I have a Blazer that just donated its (too-tiny for its scale) mirrors to the good cause!

IMG-0429.jpg

Fortunately, the Blazer's mirrors came with a template (actually, the OTHER mirrors did, but this can be used for the stock mirrors too), so marking the correct location was easier than I thought.

IMG-0425.jpg

Just use the top holes for the mirrors on the Clod, and done!

IMG-0430.jpg

Bam. I snugged them down a bit further after this photo was taken.

IMG-0435.jpg

I've had to modify the window slightly, making a hole for the mounts. However, the extra width meant I couldn't get a body clip through. I've secured them with hot glue. Time will tell if they'll hold or not.

IMG-0434.jpg

I've used hot glue to stick the wires from the front lights down, and that hasn't come off yet, so I have good hopes for the mirrors staying on. if not we'll see about a different solution.

IMG-0432.jpg

IMG-0433.jpg

• Like 5

178483159-4289653347725569-3336873861806

177667195-4289653457725558-8635386087159

I do believe I've pretty much hit peak Clod with this thing. Ever since I installed the JConcepts steering lockout set it's been a completely different truck. It's responsive, doesn't flop all over the place when landing a jump or wheelie, and is just generally a far nicer rig to run. Plus, the crab-walk steering is SO MUCH FUN to play with. Having it on a switch means you can throw it around on the fly.

Recent observations:

• Made a lead to put direct battery voltage on the lights. They ran through the BEC previously, but I noticed with the dual servos the BEC was struggling to keep the lights lit. Will running 6V LEDs on 8.4V explode them? Probably. But I have plently, and I'll get a bigger resistor behind them when they do. For now though, nice and bright.
  • The mirrors look AWESOME.
  • It wheelies on a fresh battery! (Once you get about 10 minutes in it'll only barely pick up the front axle. But on a fresh lipo it'll run the rear bumper into the lawn!)
  • .... but the body is cracking from old age... :(
  • ...and the wheels are getting more and more yellow.

I should probably paint the wheels at some point. The tires glued to them are still good, but the wheels are getting bad. There's a hairline crack developing in one of them. And the body is starting to split right down the middle where the bed meets the body. I've glued it shut again, but at some point this does need attention. Maybe tilt bed, staying in theme with the 1980s Monster Truck-vibe?

• Like 1