nowinaminute

Anyone ever been suspended from YouTube?

I just got an email informing me that my account has been terminated for spam, scams or commercially misleading material. I've checked the community guidelines and I cannot see any way I could have genuinely broke the rules so I can only assumed something errenously flagged up or perhaps a malicious complaint from a bigger channel? (I have argued with flat earthers and moon landing deniers recently and I've heard the bigger channels are able to abuse their significance)

Anyone else been in this situation? I only had about 75 followers so I don't see how they can think I was running a scam with videos of Tamiya Lunchboxes etc.

I've made an appeal but apparently, I should only expect it to be declined some time in the next 30 minutes with no further options and zero clarification about why it happened.

I wouldn't mind so much but I have loads of personal videos on there that I am unable to access.

And there's very conflicting reports about being able to make a new channel, some people say you can't because they will hunt you down and other people say unless you're a huge celebrity user or a major scammer, they won't make the effort and you can make another account just fine.

The idea of not being able to make another account really bothers me, I never set out to make money from my channel and it has just been a personal one for about 15 years. I upload my RC videos for the sheer fun of it and to help share my hobby with others including on forums and Facebook etc.

Don't get me wrong, if my channel had suddenly blown up and become viable to monetization I would have been very happy but that's not why I make and upload RC videos. I would have gladly gone the rest of my life just using it for my enjoyment and engaging with other RC people and not making a penny from it.

5 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Probably the flat earthers you have upset - they have 'friends' in high places.

Yeah, a lot of those idiots have ridiculously large subscriber bases and they have a little clout and abuse it relentlessly. Just like if you're lucky enough to know someone with a large channel they can often help you get back on. It at least it used to be that way.

Don't know a great deal about having a YT channel but it might be a good idea to have a separate ID for posting comments so they are not traceable back to your own channel ?

A lot of YT clips are mirrored on channels with similar interests - can you get someone else to host your videos ?

Yeah I've been thinking about starting a new channel for a while, I only have about 70 subs so 90% of my views currently come from non subscribers anyway. I have a lot of personal videos on the account so it would be nice to separate that from the RC videos. The problem now is that even if I make another channel, it could just get deleted because simply owning a channel is now a violation of their TOS.

And even if I get reinstated and make a seperate channel, if one gets suspended they could all get suspended.

I've been trying to wrack my brains but I just can't work out what I could have been reported for, even maliciously. Apparently, if it's for comments, it comes under abusive behaviour and would initially result in a strike and comment ban but not an account suspension.

For this to happen, someone has to have reported me and then someone at YouTube reviewed the complaint and decided that the video of comment represented a "severe" case of spam, scams or commercially deceptive content and I just can't fathom anything that could be considered as such.

The only specific thing was that it was related to scams, spam or commercially misleading which usually involves repeated spamming of links to affiliate sites, adword sites etc. Or videos with misleading titles or thumbnails and are designed to drive users away from YouTube.

I can't think of anything I have ever commented or posted that could have been reported for such things, especially for it to result in an immediate suspension and not just a warning.

The problem is, with no idea of what I have supposedly done wrong, I have no way to mention it in an appeal or offer to rectify it etc.

The only other thing I can think of is that one of my videos has a Traxxas clone in it, Traxxas have bullied a lot of smal channels over stuff like this. Even though I didn't attempt to represent it as a genuine Traxxas. But even if this was the case, channels such as rcsaylors received a strike and not an immediate and permanent suspension. 

unfortunately until you get more information, you won't know for sure why this has happened. I also doubt that the initial review was handled by a human, and its at least partially automated. Either way its a crap experience and is one of the pitfalls of a place like youtube. Same goes for a lot of other Google products, you are at their mercy and inefficiency of their internal systems.

I've not been suspended myself, but I have read enough bad stories that youtube overall only seem to care when they get bad publicity.

Wait,  did you say flat earth?  That’s been getting a lot of traction lately from what I’ve seen.  Did you mention specific people?  You didn’t upset Dubay did you?!  I hear he’s the worst.

On the plus side if you can make another account you may get lucky and have a super popular account straight out of the box 

On 2/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, novicelad said:

On the plus side if you can make another account you may get lucky and have a super popular account straight out of the box 

The problem is they will blacklist your IP and mac addresses for any hardware you have used to access YouTube in the past...supposedly anyway.

I guess I'll never find out now because they re-instated the account after I made the appeal. They still didn't clarify what exactly I was reported for.

Not sure if it was done in error or an act of malice or what. They have a "trusted flagger" program where they have users they trust and give them the power to fast track accounts for suspension or re-activation, it could have been one of these people abusing their power or it could have been one who helped me get re-instated or even both!

A complete and utter mystery.

• Thanks 1

Stick a link to your channel. I am tempted to subscribe now just to help upset whoever reported you

5 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

The problem is they will blacklist your IP and mac addresses for any hardware you have used to access YouTube in the past...supposedly anyway.

I guess I'll never find out now because they re-instated the account after I made the appeal. They still didn't clarify what exactly I was reported for.

Not sure if it was done in error or an act of malice or what. They have a "trusted flagger" program where they have users they trust and give them the power to fast track accounts for suspension or re-activation, it could have been one of these people abusing their power or it could have been one who helped me get re-instated or even both!

A complete and utter mystery.

that is annoying there is no transparency into why you were flagged, but at least there is a human on the other end who can review it quickly. Subscribed too :D

good ol you tube strikes again.:rolleyes:...there a law unto themselves....:angry:.....what did u do?who knows?..even if u did`t actually do anything  at all...:huh:....they seem to make up the rules as they see fit...:rolleyes:..not much help I know....

I’ve never joined or signed up proper. I’ve been watching vids as “guest” ever since the platform debuted.

Kinda crummy whoever flagged you though.