Busdriver

Aqroshot v Blitzer v Madbull

I am planning a new project. My defender CC01 is great but I have some woods near me with Moguls created by the BMX kids and I want something to thrash around with.

I have 3 options

Option 1: a madbull cheap and cheerfull.

Option 2 Aqroshot + mad bull/wily wheels (this is my fav) but body is very difficult to get hold of.

Option 3 Blitzer? Stadium or beetle with madbull/willy wheels.

Any thoghts

having owned a madbull i absolutly hated the thing and only used it a few times.

i really like the aqroshot but never owned one

i do have a stadium blitzer and i just love it mine is set up for the tarmac and running a 9.5t brushless motor in it witch makes it a wheelie machine i do have traxxas wheels on mine i would say go for that but check how easy the parts are for witch ever one you buy first seeing you want it for bashing.IMG_20190208_141456.thumb.jpg.14f1cdc5b2a55214a34c36131907ad3e.jpg

• Like 2

One thing to be cautious about is that DT03 isn't designed to deviate too much from the original tire size.  

The smallest pinion DT03 allows is a 17t.  That's why Aqroshot's tires are the same size as other DT03s.  Going from 85mm to 105mm would make the gear ratio much taller.  The Hornet and the Lunchbox use the same gearbox.  The Hornet had an 18t pinion.  To run 105mm tires, Tamiya put a 13t pinion on the Lunchbox.  Otherwise, we'd have smoked the motor and the Lunchbox would have been a historic failure.  

But, not all is lost!  A brushless setup might be able to handle the taller FDR.  So, if you decide to go with bigger tires, you might want to consider going brushless.  Obviously, full bearings too, because you would want to lessen the burden on the motor.  

• Like 1

As above - the Aqroshot is overgeared for many brushed motors if fitted with Mad Bull wheels, but is spot on for brushless power. I run a 13.5t motor, 17t pinion and Mad Bull wheels/tyres on my DT-03 Aqroshot, and it handles them just fine. Looks great too - far more purposeful than the stock rubber.

That said, the Mad Bull is the toughest of the three options, and thus the most likely to survive BMX jumps.

• Like 1

+1 for the Blitzer. Definitely factor in at least new rear 2.2 tyres though. My originals didn't last long at all on a Sport tuned and slide all over the place. I put some Proline Dirt Hawgs (i think they were) to kick up the dust. Schumacher Tyres also work well by all accounts. I'll probably change to brushless soon as I found that the NiMH battery ran much cooler in my Blackfoot once I'd swapped the Silver can to Brushless.

IY9NZgD.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, topforcein said:

having owned a madbull i absolutly hated the thing and only used it a few times.

i really like the aqroshot but never owned one

i do have a stadium blitzer and i just love it mine is set up for the tarmac and running a 9.5t brushless motor in it witch makes it a wheelie machine i do have traxxas wheels on mine i would say go for that but check how easy the parts are for witch ever one you buy first seeing you want it for bashing.IMG_20190208_141456.thumb.jpg.14f1cdc5b2a55214a34c36131907ad3e.jpg

thanks for the picture. It took me back to 1979/80. My first RC car was a Sand Scorcher bought from Beatties in Bristol. Thanks to all for advice wont start anything untill March as its my birthday!!!!! Does anybody know where to get spare Arqoshots bodies as I do love the look of it.

Thanks for all the responses. After much trolling through all available info I think I'm going to go with the Blitzer platform. So now I have another problem, Beetle or Stadium? I am presuming the Stadium Thunder is a Stadium Blitzer with a different body??? Is there any reason that anybody knows of as to why the Stadium is about £30 more (Modelsports) than the beetle? I really want the Stadium as I like truck bodies and I cant seem to find anywhere that sells a replacement body if I bought a beetle to convert, also I want yellow wheels so that I can do a Lotus 1960's colour theme. The description in Modelsports  seems to infer that some of the Stadium's come with bearings and also a specific speed controller. The Beetle makes no mention of bearings and merely says forward and reverse speed controller. Is that one of the old mechanical resistor type?

Sorry one other thing, does anybody know if either the Brat body or Blackfoot body would fir Blitzer platform. I seem to remember seeing both somewhere on this site but for the life of me cant remember where

i had the same problem when i was buying my blitzer as my lhs had the thunder in also and as you say the shells are diff and also some of the plastics are red instead of black i went for the cheaper option of the blitzer and yes the shells are hard to find i got my lhs to get me one and i had to wait a month for it and is atm in my loftwhat i would say is try asking where ever you buy the kit from to try and source a spare shell and prob decals. if they cant help you try tonystamiyaparts for both as he can do real good prices.

I would go for the stadium thunder, the car is much cheaper then the blitzer and have a lexan body, the blitzer hard abs body cracks easy, bodies are not so hard to find, kamtec have lexan beetle bodies that meant for the sand scorcher they fit on the blitzer, and they are tough i have 2 of them.

I see now at modelsport the stadium thunder is expensive 192 euro when i change pond to euro and more the a blitzer there.
At Tamico the stadium thunder is 119 euro = 104 pond much cheaper then modelsport, and there the blitzer 169 euro so there is the blitzer more expensive.
If you life in europe I would buy It from Tamico.de

11 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Sorry one other thing, does anybody know if either the Brat body or Blackfoot body would fir Blitzer platform. I seem to remember seeing both somewhere on this site but for the life of me cant remember where

Blackfoot fits perfectly, here’s a pic from last year of my Ranger shell sat on a Blitzer chassis;

26996268269_a63ce8cdfc_b.jpg

Yes I saw that which is what made me ask. Just couldnt find it!! Do you know if a Brat fits?

To answer my own question, none of the above.  took delivery of a TT02-T Sandshaker. Not sure where the sand bit comes from as it has rally block tires nor the shaker bit, but hey ho who knows how Tamiya's mind works. Having said I would get none of the above I managed to get the box into the house completely unseen so nobody but me knows its here so I think Ill ask for a Madbull for my birthday in March:rolleyes: Will build it pretty much stock apart from bearings and a metal propshaft.

Alreadycomes with Torque tuned motor, Oil filled shocks and an Esc so only have to get a servo for steering to comlete. All for £118 + the above bits (£16.00 ish)

When I get the Madbull I think I will dip my toe in the water of Brushless so will be asking lots of questions.