geniusanthony

TXT-2 Agrios build and initial impressions.

I am running a castle 3800kv sct combo, with 2s speedzone 100c 5500 mah or 2s gens ace 50c 6500 mah. I never ran the silver cans, i used to run two superstock rz motors.  Thanks for the input though it is appreciated

Got tomthe second axle and the same thing, all three cap screws were loose for the diff. I cleaned off the grease as good as i could and added threadlock. Hopefully it holds up for a while. I think i spent more time trying to get one of the suspension rods snapped back on to the chassis then tearing down each axle. 

I am going to do a tear-down of mine soon I think, based on what you and others have said, they are prone to coming loose. I think at the same time I am going to explore some changes to the diff, namely to try shimming the inside of the differentials to avoid the left or right side unloading if the wheels come off the ground. In my beach video at one point I captured the truck up on two wheels and all the power went to those wheels, while the truck nearly coasted to a stop. 

My 12x6 bearings also came in so, good a time as any

Have you heard or have you tried anything similar besides adding compounds and puttys for more of a limited slip effect?

• Like 1

That's great Rb, glad I was spot on and it was an easy fix.  As I said they've been coming loose from time to time in all of my TXT-axle trucks since day one.  The threadlock helps, but they will still eventually come loose.  If diff parts were more readily available I'd just lock it up and JB Weld it together, but afraid to do that with the lack of parts.

Anthony - Unloading the diff is definitely a problem with these.  I pack the diff completely full with Lucas Rad n Tacky and it helps, but will still unload under certain conditions.  The only way to completely prevent this is to lock the diff up.  I did this on one of my TXTs, but its strictly a trail truck and does great.  I would not recommend locking the diff under brushless power or anything that you're running at speed or jumping with.  Once the diff is locked the weak point is the axle shaft, they break right at the dogbone on the end.  Used to run a race Clod with locked diffs (don't remember why) and it broke axles shafts constantly when coming down from a jump under throttle.  Have had a few bashers with locked diffs that broke axle in the same manner, coming down form a jump under power.

• Like 1

87lc2, 

I appreciate your input and it is nice to know what the failure mode looks like. I am using Mercedes axle grease in mine, packed full and can only assume it helps some. I can understand not wanting to fully lock the diff, especially with grippier tires and big power. My intent is to increase the pre-load on the gears by shimming them between the ring gear and the "differential carrier". I would hope that it would works similar to a clutch type lsd yet still allow enough action prior to parts breaking. 

That's what I am thinking anyway. Only thing I cannot figure out is a way to test or quantify the results, perhaps a small beam type torque wrench.

I have not had a breakage yet (knock on wood / maybe the 1/8  Mamba X can wait) you mentioned that parts were hard to come by, as the truck is still being produced I am curious as to in what way the supply is limited, are you US based? 

Everything i read on all different groups on facebook and sites on the net is to do not ever lock the diffs. I never would but just saying to anthony

Tomorrow i will try my txt 2 after i let all the threadlock sit overnight. Hope it last and is the fix. Again thank you for giving the advice about the loose screws in the diff

Took out the truck for about 20 mins today, all good. Hopefully it lasts for a decent amount of time, but ill take the cap screws coming loose every so often then a transmission failure. It wasnt as big of strip down as i thought it would be. I can deal with this if its every few months

Sounds like the way you run the truck would not go well with locking the diffs.  As I said I've had the diffs locked on my trail TXT for years and no issues, but it never sees a jump or more than 7-8mph.  

In one of my other TXTs I run a 1/8 Castle Sidewinder 2200kv setup and have had no issues other than the crappy stock driveshafts chewing themsleves up and the diff screws loosening.  Have never broken a single meaningful part with the 1/8 system on 2s/3s.   

Most parts are still available on TamiyaUSA, but the diff case is hard to find.  It may be available now, but it was out of stock for years and buy them whenever I see them up on Ebay just to have spares.  I am in the US (Philadelphia area).  If you happen to find a good source for parts please share.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Sounds like the way you run the truck would not go well with locking the diffs.  As I said I've had the diffs locked on my trail TXT for years and no issues, but it never sees a jump or more than 7-8mph.  

In one of my other TXTs I run a 1/8 Castle Sidewinder 2200kv setup and have had no issues other than the crappy stock driveshafts chewing themsleves up and the diff screws loosening.  Have never broken a single meaningful part with the 1/8 system on 2s/3s.   

Most parts are still available on TamiyaUSA, but the diff case is hard to find.  It may be available now, but it was out of stock for years and buy them whenever I see them up on Ebay just to have spares.  I am in the US (Philadelphia area).  If you happen to find a good source for parts please share.

I am beginning to understand the gravity of when someone responds with "one of my other TXTs", by that statement you have much more experience with this chassis than I. I will definitely tread lightly with the matter as I don't want to break any hard to come by parts. You are right about TamiyaUSA showing out of stock on diff parts. FYI this US ebay seller has 6 available. Well 5, because I just bought one. link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-9445933-Diff-Cover-Ring-Gear-Set-58232/292605279881?hash=item4420a23e89:g:AbcAAOSwjatbJCPA:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

To be honest, I just discovered actual monster trucks this summer.  Now I am hooked, the go anywhere do anything-ness is a treat. My CR-01 kind of paved the way towards the Super Clod, the Agrios and an eBay Mod-Clod (which I have barely run, probably should). I haven't touched anything else since except for the the DynaHead that I am modifying. 

52 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

I am beginning to understand the gravity of when someone responds with "one of my other TXTs", by that statement you have much more experience with this chassis than I. I will definitely tread lightly with the matter as I don't want to break any hard to come by parts. You are right about TamiyaUSA showing out of stock on diff parts. FYI this US ebay seller has 6 available. Well 5, because I just bought one. link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-9445933-Diff-Cover-Ring-Gear-Set-58232/292605279881?hash=item4420a23e89:g:AbcAAOSwjatbJCPA:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

That’s funny i ordered one today also 

• Haha 1

Great find Anthony and thanks for the link.  They do come up on Ebay from time to time, just meant I haven't seen them through Tamiya in a while.  Going to pick up at least a couple more from that guy.

I do have a bunch of Tamiya monsters, but by no means do I know everything.  There's always something to learn.  I just know what has worked for me and what has not worked for me over the years of running them.   I actually started with monster trucks and have recently gotten into crawling (last 2 years or so).  There used to be a lot of monster truck guys in my area and we even had a race series at one point.  That has dried up unfortunately and I don't run them as much as I used to.  Have thought about selling a few, but I've put so much time into them and simply love looking at them that I haven't come to that yet.  Got into crawling because there are a lot of great trails by me and my father got me into it when he bought his first RC in over 20 years a little while back.  Crawling is fun and we're out almost every weekend, but I really do miss having people to run my monster trucks with, they are still my biggest passion in RC.

I just noticed that you're in DC.  Im just outside of Philadelphia.  If you ever come up this way let me know, would love to run some trucks or even hit the trails if you're up for it, we have plenty of local spots.

lc2, 

Thanks for the offer, If I eventually finish any of my projects that sounds like fun. Do you have many good hobby shops up there that might even have an SMT10 in stock? Basically for the same reason as you, I just like having them around and variety is good too. Just got my spare diff gears from that ebay link, NOS labeled Juggernaut, any changes from the old stock to the current? I seem to recall the kit components as looking like chrome plated steel.

We actually do have a few decent shops up here, definitely a few SMT10s in stock.  Funny enough, going to meet a guy from CL that I just sold one of my SMT10 Grave Diggers to.  If I'm honest, the SMT10 is not a great platform at all, the only good part about it is the realistic plastic cage.  Drivetrain is junk compared to Tamiya.

The diff cases are the same from Juggenaut 1 through the TXT-2 so you should be fine with them.

Guys Ive pretty much decided to add one of these beasts. Where is the best (cheapest) to order one? My usual source RCMart is out!

46 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Guys Ive pretty much decided to add one of these beasts. Where is the best (cheapest) to order one? My usual source RCMart is out!

Don’t know where you’re based but Tamico have them in their sale section.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=9860&lang=eng

300EUR. In comparison, Timetunnel in the U.K. have it for £370!

Are bearings included in the Agrios kit?

I can't find a definitive list of the sizes required.

2 hours ago, Bromley said:

Are bearings included in the Agrios kit?

I can't find a definitive list of the sizes required.

It comes with about 1/2 set of bearings.  When i purchased my kit i was told an entire set came as a bonus but that was apparently in the early runs of the truck. I ended up buying a txt set on ebay for $35

20 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

It comes with about 1/2 set of bearings.  When i purchased my kit i was told an entire set came as a bonus but that was apparently in the early runs of the truck. I ended up buying a txt set on ebay for $35

Thanks Rb4276, I'll wait for it to turn up and see what I'm missing. I have a few assorted bearings spare.

Just now, Bromley said:

Thanks Rb4276, I'll wait for it to turn up and see what I'm missing. I have a few assorted bearings spare.

A bunch are an odd size and if i remember are literally like a mm difference in size and can be mistaken easily. The one positive of buying the txt set is i now have about 15-20 spares in various sizes

I'm having real trouble finding someone in the UK who can supply a complete set of the TXT-2 bearings. RC Bearings, list a set for the TXT-1, but not the TXT-2. Are they the same or are there enough of the right size in that kit with the included bearings?

I'd imagine they're the same. The drivetrain of both TXT's is the same.

• Thanks 1

As Peter said the drivetrain is the same, you can use the TXT-1 bearing kit.  The only difference is the TXT-1 uses bearings in the cantilevers for the suspension so it comes with more bearings than a TXT-2 kit.  You'll  have a few extras, but everything you're looking for will be there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I'll get some on order then. The kit should land tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, 87lc2 said:

FYI I re-built my TXT1 with all brand new plastic parts tree. Tamiya Canada was able to order everything straight from Tamiya Japan. Pricing wise, it's quite reasonable considering Ebay prices tend to be a lot higher. I didn't try ordering the metal parts bags except for the ball connectors. Screws I was able to source higher quality hex screws from Ebay. 

Do note, it literally took half a year for all the parts to arrive. Apparently, some parts were unavailable so they had to wait for Tamiya Japan to manufacture more.