Sammo

Do I want a truck???

There's a lot of consideration to make when buying a truck.  How many axles being just one of them, but it's worth considering.  Here's some things to take into account:

Chassis length.  The longer your truck, the harder it will be to drive on a layout.  Most club layouts have restricted space, and a Grand Hauler or an extended rig will be hard to drive.  You'll have to swing onto the opposite carriageway, especially when towing, and when it's busy you could be waiting for traffic to make space for you to get around bends.  Reversing your trailer is harder with a longer chassis.  Actually I surprised myself last week when I discovered the wheelbase on my Globe Liner (which looks really dinky) is longer than the MAN TGX 6x4, despite the MAN cab totally dwarfing the Globe on the shelf.

Number of axles.  Mostly related to chassis length but a single axle rig will turn tighter.

Cab size.  Mostly applies if you want to fit MFU or other electrics.  The King and Grand come with that lovely sleeper cab to hide your electrics in.  The Globe Liner can hide an entire MFU and still have an interior but it's not so easy.  Big Euro cabs have a lot of space but the tilt mechanism means you can't always mount the MFU in the most obvious place.  The Mercedes linked above has a fairly small cab.

Upgrade options.  The King, Grand and Globe have a whole heap of Tamiya and aftermarket direct-fit hop-ups.  I'm not so sure about the newer US rigs.  Scania cabs have a whole heap of Scania-specific and/or Scania-branded parts - other Euro rigs also have upgrade parts but they are fewer and harder to find and not as well stocked.

Trailer style.  I overlooked this when I bought my MAN - some Tamiya trailers are US-style and some are Euro-style.  Want to haul a tanker trailer?  Better get a yank rig; Tamiya's tanker looks all wrong on a Euro rig.  Hercules Hobby make some great euro-style trailers.

Home-brew parts.  Do you want to build a custom trailer?  A 6x6 drivetrain?  8x8 with 4-wheel steer?  A HIAB?  Do you have the skills, tools, space and time to do that yourself?  Do you have the money and patience to pay for someone else to build it?

There are so many directions you can go in the rig-building arena and although you might be perfectly happy with a vanilla everyday rig, it's worth looking at what other people have done to get some inspiration before you hit the BIN button.

That said, the Mercedes looks like a real gem and is a steal at that price.  I'm wondering what I might be able to sell to add that to my fleet :o 

• Like 2

I’ve always wanted one of these, the Mercedes tipper nearly had me clicking buttons but ultimately the entry price when you add the tipper unit and mfc, then the required other bits.. obviously you’d buy a pile of hopups.. it’d easily be the most expensive project I would ever have taken on. 

I guess if I didn’t buy the DB01RR and the subsequent DB02 and it’s zillion dollars worth of hopups... 

9 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I’ve always wanted one of these, the Mercedes tipper nearly had me clicking buttons but ultimately the entry price when you add the tipper unit and mfc, then the required other bits.. obviously you’d buy a pile of hopups.. it’d easily be the most expensive project I would ever have taken on. 

I guess if I didn’t buy the DB01RR and the subsequent DB02 and it’s zillion dollars worth of hopups... 

Agree, not cheap but incredibly satisfying...go on, you know you want one...:D