graemevw

Super astute body to rear shock

Started looking at the body for my super astute, tried it on the chassis and it doesnt clear the shocks.PaHJ24D.jpg

Everything appears to be right and to the manual so im guessing this is a known issue? Anyone else come across this? And accepted solutions? It had crossed my mind to reduce the shock mount area on the rear arms but seems a bit drastic. 

• Like 1

Ok, while were at it, i also noticed the body doesnt fit the front mount either. The angle of the mount means the body bottoms on the mount before the hole lines up. No way of pushing it down without badly distorting the shell. Seems i need to cut back the mount right up to the body pin.

hhBWBrs.jpg

All correct genuine parts, but it wont work without modifications. Not like tamiya!

Before i start cutting bits of car up, is this normal?

Are you sure you have trimmed the shell correctly ?

Just had a look in my vintage SA build manual and it would appear there is some more trimming to be done.

2 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Are you sure you have trimmed the shell correctly ?

Just had a look in my vintage SA build manual and it would appear there is some more trimming to be done.

I dont have a vintage manual, ive been going by the body cut lines and the rere manual. It is correct to those, maybe 0.5mm of sanding here and there. 

Where does it show it needs more trimming?

If you go to the Tamiya USA website the re-re manual is available to download and the pics for trimming the shell look the same as in the vintage manual.

5 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

If you go to the Tamiya USA website the re-re manual is available to download and the pics for trimming the shell look the same as in the vintage manual.

I have a pdf copy of the rere. Its definitely trimmed how it should be. I stumped as to why it doesnt fit right.

Hi Graeme,

Astute rear damper to body clearance is always tight but yours does look too tight.  Your first pic shows the rear upper damper mount and there seems to be no clearance between the back of the damper tower and the upper cap on the damper, (there should be).  Maybe that upper damper mount needs a washer behind it to push the damper back away from the tower and body a little.  It's also helpful to flip the screw and nut around at those upper rear mounts, making it a bit easier to get the body on and off.

At the rear lower damper mount, the Super Astute should have a 3mm stud with a ball nut (instead of a ball stud).  There are different height ball nuts too so you would go for the low ones to bring the lower part of the damper as close to the arm as possible.  The difference here would be tiny though I would think.  The rear damper spring might just rub on the back of the body but the lower part of the damper shouldn't be close enough to catch under the body.

I would only elongate the holes in the body with a hobby knife as a last resort.

Normally you do have to push the body shell down a little at the front before the body clip goes in but then it should just pop back into shape.  Watching with interest as I also have a re-re body in the pipeline.  

• Thanks 1

I had a look for ball connectors, maybe a short ball connector would do it. They look like they would gain me a mm or two.

I had to trim the front body post, there was absolutely no way to fit the body pin otherwise. You had to squash the body to clear the hole, there was no popping back up!

I may just trim the rear arms a little to move the rear shocks rather than order parts that still may not give enough clearance.

I swapped the ball studs for some ball collars that i filed down a little on one end. Pulled the shocks as close to the arms as i can, gained me a few more mm clearance. I havent tried the body yet as i want the paint to set up a bit more before i wrangle it back into place.

This has also given me a little more clearance between the shock cap and the shock tower as that was not touching, but VERY close.

OmapVb2.jpg

Edit... and with the body

neLGB6S.jpg

Still tight, but just good enough, no chance of any more clearance without modding the arms.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, graemevw said:

Trimmed front post.

2tLIyWK.jpg

Didnt want to, but it was the only way!

Where did you find these pink wheels?
Thanks

Max

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kontemax said:

Where did you find these pink wheels?
Thanks

Max

They are the pink astral dish wheels . I just bought some . You can get them on eBay from Japan They just look a different shade of pink in these pics. 

• Like 1

Hey @graemevw sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but wondering how you've been getting on with your SA particularly regarding the tight fit between the shell and rear dampers

I've hit this exact issue with my SA build, although I am using hi-cap dampers. 

Have you resolved it to the point of having clear air between the shell and dampers, or just living with it?

Cheers!

I am just finishing a Super Astute ReRe build and have the exact same issue. Rear shocks touch the body and the front body clip distorts the note because the mounting pin isn't tall enough.

Any solutions or is this just the way it is?