Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

Newb. 1/14th truck initial build result

You might of seen some posts from me because I have just got my first Tamiya 1/14th.

I wanted a Grand hauler or King BUT the shop did not have the matching MFC so I settled for the Scania R620 and MFC.

I have been waiting for a motor and bearings to arrive before I started the build.So while waiting I have been looking online at others trucks and wow there are some great builds out there.

Now I am into the build I wish I went with the Grand or King. I really don't like that steering setup,the servo mounted on the side and the bell crank look naff. I read that you can use the gearbox servo position instead for the steering servo and a link straight to the hubs. I have spent best part of 2 days with no luck. Motor in way of servo for best position. The new steering will hit metal work etc etc.

Finally decided that I will build stock and ignore the looks and the slop. I will get a Grand or king at some point so I can compare the 2.  Might run that with non Tamiya MFC, Read the MFC 01 is rather old and not that good?

The above will be of no interest to many here but it might give a bit of back ground for future posts I am bound to make.

being the owner of a grandhauler i will say you should have waited for your lhs to get one for you.

i love the 1/14 trucks but the scania are 2 a penny and i aint a fan of them tbh.

you can always relocate the steering servo on the chassis rail.

i would say all the mfu's are ruffly the same age  but their are allternatives out there.

these 2 are my mine and the next will be a globe liner

IMG_20180603_104528.thumb.jpg.7a4d3527d11c3d450600c748687102f5.jpg

Welcome to the trucking club.  Start saving now for a trailer, and for all those bolt-on goodies that are specific to the Scania.

I will probably be relocating my steering servo to the front of my MAN TGX sometime this year.  I haven't looked at it yet but I'm told it's possible.  But I may possibly get rid of my 3 speed box, so I can use the gearbox servo position for the steering servo.  Otherwise there's a lot of scale goodness that will bolt up to the chassis to hide the steering servo.

There are also various ways of improving the steering angle.  I've got a Carson steering link on my MAN and I've got modified front axles on my Globe Liner, which gives better lock for both rigs.  Recently I bought an aftermarket front axle for the MAN which should make it better still, but needs some pokery with the steering links to fit.

Part of the fun of these trucks is modifying and improving and making them look better.  Enjoy it stock, then work out what you want to improve :)

i know when i got my GH i also wanted to build one of the Scania's, MB Actros, or MAN, but GH prevailed for the time being. the GH is also my first 1:14.

have a great time with your R620, and Barbie thinks she has accessories:lol:

all of these kits are nice, my truck is being made to haul thisattachment.php?attachmentid=162803&d=1543648585

The servo placement on the Scania (and other euro trucks) is nothing compared to the turning circle of the Grand Hauler. 

There is 10 years difference between the MFC-01 and MFC-03, and although physically the same unit, the 03 is a much more refined unit.