Sign in to follow this  
dannymulder

boomerang front driveshaft binding problem fix

When I build my boomerang I notice that the front driveshafts are binding, and that was a known problem.

First i tried the tamiya recommended  70mm df-02 cvd and some yeah racing 70 mm cvd for the wt-01, they both are to long and with steering and compressed suspension they stil bind.

Then I tried some spare db-01, trf501x rear cvd's, the driveshaft are 64mm thats to short but because the wheel axle are longer I have got some 3.5mm extra in length so now i am at 67.5 mm thats perfect for the job.

I have used a 850 bushing and 2 shims 0.2 mm and 0.3 mm and put it on the axle before putting it on the knuckle, then I drilled out the wheel adaptor and wheel to 5mm and put 2 washers on the outside of the wheel to lock it.
Job done no more binding.

IMG_6985.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, taffer said:

hotshot/ super hotshot drive shafts work as well

I know that they do because the are a little shorter in lenght, shorter dogbones can work to, I have tried it with zahhak dogbones and a o ring in the drive cup thats worked as well, but I wanted cvd's at the front.
But thank you for your reply.

Mmm I have never tried the thunder shot Universal's in the front, but they would be the hopup to use (I no longer have a boomerang to try a set)

Many think Tamiya gives perfect instructions. Close, but not quite. That's why every part has to be double checked.  2, 3, 5mm washers, and 5mm shims of various thickness are very useful.  

With a 850 working as a spacer, the joint is placed right under the kingpin of the steering knuckles?  Life gives you a lemon, and you make lemonade!  Well done.  

9 hours ago, Juggular said:

Many think Tamiya gives perfect instructions. Close, but not quite. That's why every part has to be double checked.  2, 3, 5mm washers, and 5mm shims of various thickness are very useful.  

With a 850 working as a spacer, the joint is placed right under the kingpin of the steering knuckles?  Life gives you a lemon, and you make lemonade!  Well done.  

The joint is placed under the kingpin of the steering knuckles, and not placed out of the knuckle