Sign in to follow this  
87lc2

Dynahead Portals on TA01/TA02?

I saw an article on the Dynahead in RC Car Action and from a close-up shot of the portals it looks like they would fit a TA01/TA02 perfectly.  I have a few TA01 Hummers that would be awesome with portals.  

Not sure if anyone's actually tried this but figured I'd ask.  I haven't looked yet, but going to try and buy the necessary parts for at least one axle and see how it goes.  If it works it could really add a lot of ground clearance and just look cool when dyed black.

Are there any 3party clones yet, GPM or such. Alloy versions would be cool.

I'm about to convert a Dirt 4WD chassis (like Hummer) to G6-01TR portals. It's basically no problem, but if you want to keep the original width so the tires are covered by the fenders, the suspension arms need to be replaced with some shorter ones. I used TA01 front suspension arms, but the TA01 or TA02 rear suspension arms are't angled enough to give the right wheelbase when angled backwards. So I experimented a little and found that TL01 rear suspension arms with spacers between the halves can be used.  

Having portals on the Hummer, just like the original, is nice, but it's expensive. In Germany, the Dynahead can be had for about 250 Euro, although I paid just 203 Euro for mine. I made a list of the parts needed and checking the cheapest sources, the 6 portals in parts cost around 200 Eur, and that's even without the bearings. From an objective perspective with regard to off-road capability, I don't believe it's worth it, but then again, who wants to be rational in this hobby!? :P

I can make some photos, if interested. I have actually just converted one side so far with the intention of posting photos on my FB page to show how the portals can be used while keeping the original width and wheelbase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.  I already have the shorter TA02 arms on my Hummer so it should be OK.  Don't really care about the money, I just think it would be cool.  Too bad they dont mold them in black, but guess I can dye them.   As far as off road performance I already have a custom plate chassis and the Hummer performs really well off road.  Even the little bit of clearance the portals would add would be helpful, but it's more about the cool factor in my mind.

I'd love to see some photos if you don't mind posting them.  Do they sell the portals as a unit or do you have to buy the parts individually?  Happen to have part numbers?  Guess I can just look through the Dynahead manual, but figured I'd ask.  Thanks again.

Thanks for posting, looks like they fit perfectly.  Looks like a pretty substantial increase in ground clearance to me at least - when you're running trails and crawling every little bit helps.

MF01X shares the front knuckles with the TA cars, maybe we can expect some neat stuff to distill down.

I haven't touched my g-wagen in some time due to its modest capabilities, maybe I should dig it out and ponder some things.

In fact, just thinking out loud, any extra width could be concealed quite well since the car is so narrow to begin with.

• Like 1

I can't seem to find the Dynahead manual anywhere online, has anyone seen it?