ThunderDragonCy

Thinking of giving 2wd offroad racing a go - help with rules?

There's a 2 weekly indoor race meeting not far from me that uses an indoor sports hall to build the track. The Schumacher Indoor Cup at Worksop. I have never really wanted to race, but I do enjoy track time and indoor sounds good at this time of year. What I can't get to the bottom of is the rules for the cars. I've looked at BRCA, but the rules just cover everything and nothing specific, and asked the organisers and they just say they have '2wd' and '4wd'. I'm guessing it's mod class? They run a spec tyre so that's easy, but I'm really unsure about my ESC legality. It's a Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120. There's no blinky mode, but in mod can I run boost and timing anyway? I can obviously turn everything off if it's is 'blinky' rules. I haven't got a transponder either so some advice there would be good. I genuinely have no idea about this, but would like to have a go. What I don't want to do is turn up and not be able to race for some techincal reason. 

I have hard case shorty and regular Lipos which appear to be BRCA approved, and the I run Speed Passion motors which are also on the approved list as well. Any help and advice would be most, most welcome.

• Like 1

As far as I know the 10BL120 is blinky (I have a couple of the 10BL60's - there are no boost or turbo options) so you'll be fine with that, I'm guessing there will be the option of 13.5 or 17.5 blinky so as long as you have one of those you'll be fine

For the transponder, the MRT mPTX seems to be a good standard that works everywhere although it may be you can borrow/hire one from the club, as long as you're lipo is hard cased you should be fine

From my limited experience, club nights are pretty flexible, the BRCA rules come more into play with specific events, and everyone is very friendly and encouraging

I only started racing as I just didn't get out and use my cars but I love it and never looked back :)

• Thanks 1

I have just started the exact same thing. (Done 2 events) No one appears to care what you run. You are either in the 2wd and 4wd class.

The only rules I have seen enforced is charging in a lipo sack and car must have a body shell.

Maybe if you turned up and rinsed everyone, then they might look at what you running.

My first event I used a bog standard DT02. Then for the second one I had bought a Team Associate B6. I am using cheap turnigy stuff for now until I start to get a bit closer to the pack.

14 minutes ago, Butler said:

My first event I used a bog standard DT02. Then for the second one I had bought a Team Associate B6

yep, first time out I murdered a DT02 (and a DT03 I'd bought along as a spare), then bought a Schumacher KF2 from someone at the club

From what I've seen/read, most clubs and/or tracks have their own rules so it's best asking the track these questions.  For the most part, no one cares as long as you aren't winning.  If you are winning, then they want to check for legality of the car.  If you aren't winning, they are just happy to fill the grids for local club racing.

2 hours ago, Butler said:

I have just started the exact same thing. (Done 2 events) No one appears to care what you run. You are either in the 2wd and 4wd class.

The only rules I have seen enforced is charging in a lipo sack and car must have a body shell.

Maybe if you turned up and rinsed everyone, then they might look at what you running.

My first event I used a bog standard DT02. Then for the second one I had bought a Team Associate B6. I am using cheap turnigy stuff for now until I start to get a bit closer to the pack.

1 hour ago, Mahjik said:

From what I've seen/read, most clubs and/or tracks have their own rules so it's best asking the track these questions.  For the most part, no one cares as long as you aren't winning.  If you are winning, then they want to check for legality of the car.  If you aren't winning, they are just happy to fill the grids for local club racing.

This is all very good to know. No wonder the organisers were so vague about the classes. I thought it was much more rigid than that.

Both my options for racing are TRFs, so although not mega spec they should be up to the job. Neither are running crazy power, but I have an 8.5 motor which either cars' ESC would run if I needed to. Sounds like I might just need to bolt on the spec tyres and run what I brung. Despite having quite a nice TRF211 with a 3 gear laydown drivetrain, as it's a low-ish grip sports hall I'm quite tempted to take my TRF201 rear motor just because it's so lovely and easy to handle and rear motor will be funny, but on that surface could be quite good.

Are you sure they don't lay carpet down in the sports hall?

I know my local club do and the carpet is high grip.

Usually if you can comply with their tire and motor rules, the rest is just for those at the top of the charts.  ;)  

4 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Are you sure they don't lay carpet down in the sports hall?

I know my local club do and the carpet is high grip.

Definitely not. Bare floor with hardboard obstacles. Spec tyre is the Schumacher honeycomb

• Like 1

Yeah my DT02 on carpet wheelied all down the back straight. :lol:

Whats everyone else running?

• Haha 1

The rules down here are pretty settled amongst the clubs. 2wd indoor is usually 10.5T blinky, outdoor is 17.5T blinky or mod which is open motors and boost, timing, turbo etc allowed. They always allow adjustable endbell timing, and in offroad its just any ROAR approved motor.

However I know overseas are always different, the US run 13.5T for 4wd stock and 17.5T for 2wd stock for instance.

From what I have seen there is very little difference in times between the classes as the stock cars are geared aggressively and in low grip more power is meaningless anyway.

If its blinky that ESC won't be legal, it either has to be like the TBLE-02S where there is no programming, or in blinky.

To me it sounds like mod, so you should be fine with everything you have. The other thing is every club I've been to will fit you into a class and let you race with whatever you take along. If its blinky but you can't comply they'll no doubt let you run and just ask you slow it down to match the speed of others. You could use EPA for that.

Every club I've been to insist on hard case lipos for obvious reasons, and most insist on lipo charging bags. I haven't seen a restriction on the type of battery though, ie shorty vs stick pack, its just whatever fits your car.

The club will probably have a transponder you can hire for the night. Here they usually charge NZD$10 per meet. They cost about USD$90 from Amain so cost wise it doesn't really make a difference. Its easier to have your own, I bought one after a few months. I use one and swap it between my cars. Every NZ club usings mylaps but there are a few systems out there. There are also generic copies which work but then mylaps will update software and they won't work etc etc. While you could get a cheaper one if the club uses mylaps then just buy a mylaps, ist much easier.

I would go along with your buggy setup how it is and not worry about a transponder until you know you like it and you know what you need to buy.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Definitely not. Bare floor with hardboard obstacles. Spec tyre is the Schumacher honeycomb

Interesting. Saves time setting up and putting away I guess..

My local club is pretty much run what you like, certainly for club nights.

I run a Speed Passion 10.5T, with a Speed Passion Reventon Pro ESC in my Cougar KF2 SE. 

I know a lot of the top guys run hotter motors, 6.5 or so. But being a new returnee to racing, drivability is more important than out and out speed for me at this stage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Interesting. Saves time setting up and putting away I guess..

My local club is pretty much run what you like, certainly for club nights.

I run a Speed Passion 10.5T, with a Speed Passion Reventon Pro ESC in my Cougar KF2 SE. 

I know a lot of the top guys run hotter motors, 6.5 or so. But being a new returnee to racing, drivability is more important than out and out speed for me at this stage.

True, but they do spend that time building massive features!

I have a 10.5 Speed Passion in my TRF211 so sounds like I just need to have a go.

Thanks chaps.

• Like 1

As far as i know,

Honeycombs, legal 2s Lipo (LIhv charged to 4.2v per cell) and some kind of shock guard (to protect the floor if/when you roll) are about all I can think of , although things like metal bumpers aren't allowed, but probably don't really matter.

Some other countries run lots of different classes for 2wd and 4wd, blinky, stock ,mod etc, we (the UK), just tend to run 2wd and 4wd, so any (legal) wind of motor, but usually 7.5t/8.5t in 2wd and 5.5t in 4wd (not made it down to Worksop yet though) sometimes the fastest laps aren't with the fastest motor, so the 10.5t would be a good start point.

The 10bl120 does have a timing option in sensored mode, but haven't played with that yet, but no issues with legalities if you do.

Transponders - MRT are the most popular/cheapest, but, mylaps are the company that have the monopoly on the timing gear , and as such have made their new version and any updated older version (If it goes in for repair, it'll come back with the new software), so that the MRT transponders don't work. This was back at the tail end of 2017 and I don't know of anywhere that's running the new system (but maybe worth an ask). MRT transponders are half the price of mylaps.

Offers for MRT on their FB page- 

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Electronics/Model-Racing-Technology-698590320257568/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Wooders28 Thanks for the solid info. Transponders was confusing me as well and I don't have shock guards either. Are they easy to come by?

Cheers

Cy

Transponder wise, I've an MRT mPTX ,  and it works, the mylaps can give temp readings and other telemetry.

The cars I race are all new (ish) cars, and the shock protectors are easy to buy, older stuff you might need to make some out of Lexan off cuts, or 3d printed ones. They are more required when racing on carpet, clubs aren't happy when you put a big rip in a nice new carpet! 

• Thanks 1