Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

Racing a Novafox - what's necessary?

My entry into this year's Iconic Revival has been approved in the 84-88 2WD class, so it looks like I'll be building my NIB Novafox this year.

The track is outdoor astroturf and takes place in the height of the British summer, so experience tells me it will be 31 degrees and dry as a bone, and also torrential downpours and freezing cold.  Oddly enough last year's Revival managed both in the same weekend.  And still we raced, we few hardcore who stuck it out :D

Tyre-wise I'll be asking the track locals and going with their recommendations.  It's a new venue this year so I've no experience with the track, but TBH the Schumacher tyres that I run most years will probably be fine.

I understand the Novafox comes with a sway bar in the kit?  So that's one less thing I need.

Are there any known weak parts I should stock up on before I go?  I don't have a backup car for that class and it could be a dull day if I wreck it in first practice (I have done this before...)

Any other mods or hop-ups I should consider?  I'll be racing against RC10s and Schumacher Topcats (as well as other Foxes, Hornets, Ultimas, even some Mardave Meteors) so chances of hitting the A final are very slim, especially as I've re-graded my racing ability from 5/10 to 3/10 following last year's debacle in which I finished last in both finals basically through driving like a total novice.  (In fairness I've raced 4 times in the last 2 years and I was never particularly good when I raced weekly).

Period-correct modifications and hop-ups are allowed and wheel/tyre choice is open, provided they are 1:10 buggy wheels/tyres.  I'm up for considering anything at all, from plain Jane box-stock with some modern rubber right up to custom lightweight plate chassis and all manner of goodness.  Throw me out some ideas and inspire me to build something great :D

(Also, inspire me to build something totally crazy so I don't feel too bad when I fail to finish).

• Like 1

Are you allowed to do wheel adapters?  If so, that would probably give you some more options for tires.

If you work out how to make it (a lot) less understeery then please share your magic. 

I would probably set my Ultima up in rear motor and graft the Fox body onto it, thats the only way I can think of to fix the Fox. Not that I think it needs fixing, its fun as it is.

Once again, a completely useless post...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mahjik said:

Are you allowed to do wheel adapters?  If so, that would probably give you some more options for tires.

Any 2.2 buggy wheel is permitted, so I can fit adaptors.  I'll probably use my favourite HPI Super Star wheels on the back (technically they are touring car wheels but hey are hex drive 2.2s and the right width for buggy tyres and I guess a Tamiya stardish or similar on the front.  I've never found a good 2.2 that accurately matches the Super Star style.

It's a shame that sticky grease cannot be found for UK members. 

I've been looking for cheaper "plastic safe" greases that are sticky.  Dynamite Marine Grease says "Lithium complex grease with anti-sling technology for superb adhesion. Designed for use in multiple RC applications."  I wonder if that would be sticker than Anti-wear grease, & plastic safe.  

The safe bet is the Tamiya Anti-Wear grease everybody uses on their diffs (though it's not very sticky).  With much stickier grease, 2WD drives would go as willing as 4WD.  I don't know if messing about the diff is allowed. 

On second thought --after Jonathon's post-- maybe just AW would be fine.  Stickier than AW grease could cause it to under-steer more.  The nose of the Novafox is very light.  The tail is heavy.  Since front wheels are off the ground a lot, they would not steer well.  Building the front shock with lightest oil and biggest holes in the pistons could help.  As with more pronounced toe-out and slightly harder rear shocks.  

• Like 2

Wading in with some hand waving here based on getting my DT03 to stop understeering, buy some adhesive wheel weights for full size cars off ebay and stick as many as you can around the front of the buggy. I have about 50 grams stashed in the front of the 03 and it really helped. Also if wheels are open get some TRF201 / DN01 fronts. They are full width 2wd and bearing fit (1050 not 1150 like yours though) not the slim width of your novafox so you can get some more rubber on the floor. On astro Schumacher wide cut Staggers with a foam insert give some decent grip. As mentioned above, stiffer rear springs will help too. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have about 50 grams stashed in the front of the 03 and it really helped.

I suspected that the Center of Gravity on DT03 should move forward to make a better runner.  I'm glad to know how it is, thank you, ThunderDragonCy. 50 grams is as heavy as 9 US quarter coins, that's a lot of weight.  Maybe somebody should make the front shock tower of DT03 in cast iron.  Too bad Novafox cannot move the battery forward.  

I would use thinner shock oil and softer front springs to  allow the weight to transfer to the front as you come off power and steer into the corner. Also stiffer rear springs can help with making  the rear looser causing more rotation in the corner.

2wd cars will always want to understeer on power, so you just need to ensure you are making the most of the brakes.

• Like 1