Baddon

Polycarb body finishing - those hard to get places

Hello all, 

Does anyone have a low speed dremel (uk link please) that will let me get to those hard to reach places that wont melt the plastic. 

Its for taking off those last few mm round suspension towers etc.

The lexen tends to be quite thick here and trimming with the angles is hard to do.

The lower the cost the better of course.

I use sand paper that I roll into a tapered tube and then turn by hand. Usually start with coarse and finish with something finer grit. The dremel isn't really my preferred tool for lexan anymore.

• Like 2

You can pick up a Dremmel for less than £40 on Amazon, the dremel brand tools are really expensive but you can get A selection of other branded parts like this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accessories-Meterk-Universal-Accessory-Sharpening/dp/B07C1XLLXN/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1550174872&sr=1-5&keywords=Box

i have only used a few of the tools so far but they’ve all been pretty good. 

I used the side of the smallest reamer on the high speed setting to make the pin clip holes and do the fine detail. It cuts well and the small amount of flashing can be picked off.

• Thanks 1

Having got a cheap drenel off ebay to open all the slots on my sct body and promptly nearly ruined it I would recommended drilling holes in the tight corners you want to get in the score out from there with a hobby knife. Finish with sandpaper. Drenel isn't the one for lexan despite what Teh Internetz says. 

• Like 1

I used the 3.2mm reamer like this, personally I found this made a cleaner hole and cut quicker than any of the drills I tried. You do need a steady hand though and to know how fast to feed and when to stop!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CKT7C77/ref=asc_df_B07CKT7C7758497396/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B07CKT7C77&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309808827530&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17217612327950104700&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006959&hvtargid=pla-474912480928

• Like 2

I have several bodies with scrap marks where the knife has gotton away from me. I am after something like the rolled up sandpaper but I am LAZY and want a faster solution BUT not a high speed dremel as I know you can take mm off in seconds.

So again I ask is there anything lower to med speed version that will SLOWLY take a mm here or there off?

51 minutes ago, Baddon said:

So again I ask is there anything lower to med speed version that will SLOWLY take a mm here or there off?

The 3mm cutter has a relatively low surface speed, if you are suggesting ‘a mm here or there off’ I think that’s actually quite a large bite. So it might work for you. I found the dremmel sander to be less effective.

If you want to go even slower you’ll find a normal cordless drill is about 1/5 the speed of the dremel. You could tie-wrap the trigger and use it bench mounted with a £10 set of sanders/reamers to experiment with.

shame you’re not closer you could have borrowed my toys...

• Thanks 1

Some Dremel models have adjustable speed. One of those on a low setting might do the trick?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can buy cheap battery powered ones for a couple of pounds. They are painfully slow , which should be just what you want . I use an adjustable speed Dremmel type tool and I've got lots of attachments for it . But I usually finish the cuts by hand anyway with a rolled up / folded around a former ,sand paper and needle files method, and a reamer for holes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

got this and finished the saint Dragon today, got those hard to reach front cut outs for the shock towers a lot tidier and with less effort than previously.

Also quite good for tidying up body mount holes ( WITH EXTREME care!!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ELJ0HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was using on its slowest speed setting and it was fine but reasonable care is still needed.

• Like 1

I use my drill press with a large sanding drum chucked in it to finish off the wheel arches, but I have had good success with a Dremel and small sanding drum attachements..  You just have to go slow and use a steady hand.

• Like 1