meccman1951

Pumpkin or Lunchbox Wheels on a Blackfoot

I have a set of new chrome Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox rims and tires. I have an original Blackfoot. The rear wheels and tires fit fine, however the front tire rubs on the steering linkage since it is a slightly smaller diameter. A 5mm spacer seems to give enough clearance, but then I don't have enough of the shaft left to use the outer bearing and wheel nut. I tried an old Mauri Big Bear to Blackfoot conversion axle, but it's way too long. Moving the steering linkage to the underside of the knuckle mount won't work. CRP has an axle extender nut to mount monster truck tires to various chassis, but in stock form or without more spacers, it is too long also - I tried. Does anyone have any other bolt-on parts that will allow this to work, or do I have to start modifying things? Thanks!

This is how it looks.

ZvVsw8E.jpg

Im not sure what the inside diameter of these are but they clear everything, just needed front knuckles swapping to ones that take hex wheels.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pick up a set of CRP #1565.  They add the extra length you need.  You'll need to lock-tite them on.  I use a set on my Frog to add 2.2 wheels to the front...

You should be able to get the necessary space you want with some washers, etc.  I found beveled washers are handy for this.  HPI #6125 are perfect for the job and they don't mess with your bearings...

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graemevw said:

This is how it looks.

ZvVsw8E.jpg

Im not sure what the inside diameter of these are but they clear everything, just needed front knuckles swapping to ones that take hex wheels.

Sorry to thread-jack here but...

Can you show us some pix of your front knuckles, and give us a list of parts???  I'd love to be able to switch to hex wheels on the front...

Thanks,

Terry

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

Pick up a set of CRP #1565.  They add the extra length you need.  You'll need to lock-tite them on.  I use a set on my Frog to add 2.2 wheels to the front...

You should be able to get the necessary space you want with some washers, etc.  I found beveled washers are handy for this.  HPI #6125 are perfect for the job and they don't mess with your bearings...

Terry

Thanks for your input. I do have a set of the CRP1565's that I tried. They are pretty long. I used an old plastic bushing as a spacer on the inside rim, and with the CRP part, I had at least 10mm between the outer bearing and the end cap "nut" so it would look funny using spacers inside the hub to take up the void. I was contemplating cutting them down a tad, but I'm not sure they are threaded all the way to the end.

4 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Can you show us some pix of your front knuckles, and give us a list of parts???  I'd love to be able to switch to hex wheels on the front...

Thanks,

Terry

Yeah, and more pictures if you can. That truck looks gorgeous!

7 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Thanks,

Terry

• Like 1

13 hours ago, meccman1951 said:

I have a set of new chrome Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox rims and tires. I have an original Blackfoot. The rear wheels and tires fit fine, however the front tire rubs on the steering linkage since it is a slightly smaller diameter

I've been playing around with Luchbox and WW2 wheels on another project , and I just tried out some LB wheels on my vintage Blackfoot and they clear the front assemblies fine , no rubbing or binding . Are you using actual Lunchbox wheels and not WW2 front wheels , as they are totally different in design to the LB ones and you will get some binding

They were sold as new Midnight Pumpkin wheels...and the same seller had pumpkin and lunchbox tires, which I purchased at the same time. They were new on the tree. I don't know or didn't know there was a difference with the Wild Willy 2 wheels - I know nothing about that kit. You can see where the tire rubs very slightly on the end of the steering linkage. It's close, but when tightened down, it will keep the wheel from spinning. I can get better pictures later.

blkfoot.thumb.jpg.051ecc181380de85a1919e409eee556c.jpg

37 minutes ago, meccman1951 said:

They were sold as new Midnight Pumpkin wheels...and the same seller had pumpkin and lunchbox tires, which I purchased at the same time. They were new on the tree. I don't know or didn't know there was a difference with the Wild Willy 2 wheels - I know nothing about that kit. You can see where the tire rubs very slightly on the end of the steering linkage. It's close, but when tightened down, it will keep the wheel from spinning. I can get better pictures later.

blkfoot.thumb.jpg.051ecc181380de85a1919e409eee556c.jpg

I've tried stock yellow Lunch Box wheels on my Blackfoot with the exact same results. The inner rim drags on the knuckle just as pictured.

I've done a bit of checking , and it appears that a set of LB / MP chrome wheels that I got hold of were modified by cutting off the front bearing boss and recessing the bearing further into the wheel hub and extending the inner boss to take the bearing , thus 'widening' the track of the wheel by changing the offset , never noticed this until now . That's why it clears on the BF . not a mod I would recommend . A possible remedy for your situation could be an inner spacer as you mentioned , maybe a plastic 1150 bearing and a shim  , and using a cut down barrell nut to fix the wheel on , it should work ok .