kyosho1

Would you buy a Striker &/or Sonic Fighter if they were re-released?

After watching Tamiya Legends Youtube presentation on the Striker and Sonic Fighter,  they look quite nice when placed side by side as a pair. 

But when I first saw the Striker/Sonic Figher 30 years ago in the Tamiya RC Guide Book, they were like a joke when compared to the fox, hotshot, boomerang.

Maybe they can be considered the bridge for the smooth evolution from the Hotshot/Fox to the Thundershot / Fire Dragon series.

Would you get one if they were re-released? 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

After watching Tamiya Legends Youtube presentation on the Striker and Sonic Fighter,  they look quite nice when placed side by side as a pair. 

But when I first saw the Striker/Sonic Figher 30 years ago in the Tamiya RC Guide Book, they were like a joke when compared to the fox, hotshot, boomerang.

Maybe they can be considered the bridge for the smooth evolution from the Hotshot/Fox to the Thundershot / Fire Dragon series.

Would you get one if they were re-released? 😁

Yes, like a Hot Shot!

The Sonic Fighter appears to be much rarer these days than the Striker is and I haven't seen one come up for sale in ages... the Striker is still a lovely quirky car but isn't as pretty as the Sonic in my eyes, typical that I have only 1 SF and 4 Strikers plus an adopted Futaba FX10 such is my love for these cars.

I'm still restoring one of these Strikers in  a lovely candy Orange and when finished I'll get a group photo... like the Adams family!

• Like 1

I would jump on either, I love the F1 look, they would make awesome runners with foam tyres for on the street.

They are also very competitive in silver can vintage race's due to the power to weight ratio

• Like 2

I would say no-one will have a chance as Jason will buy them all.

I wouldn't buy either as I have a list of cars I want already and these won't knock a Super Astute ot Top Force off top spot, butbthey are kind of cool and quirky

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Going to go against the grain and say nope not for me. Whilst they're kinda quirky I just don't get them even though there have been some great restorations on here. 

• Sad 1

Pass on neither but if I had to choose one, the Sonic because it has better suspension. Suspension plays a very big role in performance (that's obvious :D ).

• Like 1

Erm no, they don’t do anything for me either.

I get the fighter pilot look but they just don’t float my boat. 

• Sad 1

I'd probably buy loads of parts but probably not an entire kit. Don't get me wrong, I'd want to buy multiple kits, I just don't think I'd be able to justify the expense while I have so many projects that require the funds. 

• Like 1

Striker no...as i have mine here:D

vcgdyhurt031

sonic fighter yes ..although I'd like a orginal 1988 one tbh....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

The only car i remember disliking when i was a kid, but that may be because my friends striker was always snapped in half so we couldnt use it!

No, i wouldnt.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

They are quirky and quite different to most other models, both Tamiya and otherwise. There are many other models I would buy first, but assuming they were still available once I had added those to my fleet, I'd buy one.

• Like 1

No I wouldn’t buy these if rereleased, I’ve been known to change my mind though 😁

• Haha 1

Yes to the Striker, and will give the Sonic Fighter time - I like the F1 styling, unique construction, and light weight of the former, but feel like all its quirks would make it difficult to justify acquiring the latter. If I had one, I would probably not want the other, and the Striker is more attractive to me; therefore, I would likely have the Striker or Sonic Fighter (in that order of preference).

However, I am not ruling out having both, especially since the Sonic Fighter looks disconcertingly like the F-117 Nighthawk:

1280px-F-117A_GBU-28.JPEG

This is all putting aside my cynicism that the tooling for neither model exists right now, since life is too short for that kind of negativity!

• Like 1

Probably not, because I already have a Futaba FX10, and I'm not super-impressed by it. More of a historical curiosity than anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great guys... well done... you all just practically killed the dream if there was one, because if a Tamiya employee reports this back to HQ it ain't ever going to happen now with all you killjoys lol!

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I would say no-one will have a chance as Jason will buy them all.

I wouldn't buy either as I have a list of cars I want already and these won't knock a Super Astute ot Top Force off top spot, butbthey are kind of cool and quirky

I suggest you all hang your heads in shame, find your "Edit" buttons and go rewrite your answers to a resounding yes... then I will go edit this post too ;)

ready.... right click.... edit!

You'll all change your minds when I put up a group photo of all my versions..... and the Japanese apparently love group activities ( ahem) so that might sway Tamiya Japan HQ to ReRe them?:)

In all honesty I haven't even ran mine that much for fear of breaking them... the stock ones are fragile as we all know and the restored toughened ones with CRP front braces ended up too pretty for me to risk Scratching them up :(

They are shelf decoration eye candy to me more than anything else, and it was the first RC that I ever restored... fully took apart, cleaned, sanded, filled, painted, lacquered, hunted down elusive spares, replacing  worn parts etc so for me it's quite special, but I get the lack of enthusiasm lol,  unless you've trod that same path these cars can be a n acquired taste, a look only a mother could love.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I like the Sonic Fighter. Always have. The Striker is by far my least favorite Tamiya vehicle ever. Aside from the bland color scheme, the lack of any roll bar or canopy for the driver is something that drives me nuts. It looks like a toy RC buggy with its roll bar snapped off in an accident and never repaired. The poor driver has his head just hanging out there in the breeze just waiting for a snapped neck in a roll over. I know real F1s are built with integrated roll over protection, but their heads sit a bit lower granting some added protection. I mean, I feel bad for the guy, like the race team doesn't like him or something and gave him this unsafe ride to race.

edit: While I'll leave this reply, as it seems to be part of another joke that I don't understand the reference to, I will apologize for my criticism of the Striker. I may not care for the appearance of the buggy in my opinion but perhaps have been too harsh on a buggy that some may enjoy. It was callous and again, I apologize for my harsh opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

He's plastic... it's a puppet!

Whilst the age demographic here might be broadly right, the geographical spread means only a few will get that reference :D

Where’s a Brian Conley GIF when you need one?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When it comes to buggies, I'll buy whatever Tamiya re-releases. I'd even buy Fire Dragon. I feel picking out just the classics or the cars you like is unpatriotic in a Tamiyaland sense of way.

Plus, the more re-releases I buy, the more re-releases there'll be, right? I have no choice but to get both Striker and Sonic Fighter when they are re-released... Simple logic, right? Or is that the addiction speaking? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

.....You'll all change your minds when I put up a group photo of all my versions..... 

.....,..,the restored toughened ones with CRP front braces ended up too pretty for me to risk Scratching them up :(

Group photos please 😁

What”s that about the CRP front braces? 🤔

• Like 1

I would buy both. Used to drive a friends Sonic Fighter back in the days, and it was a great runner.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

Group photos please 😁

What”s that about the CRP front braces? 🤔

No worries it's on my list to do but the cars are split in two location an hour drive apart :(

This... comes in lots of colours and  can easily be modified to fit the Striker and Sonic Fighter by drilling 1 extra hole in the chassis and then elongating two holes on the new CRP metal brace by about 1mm each.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-BUMPER-CHASSIS-BRACE-Futaba-FX10-Tamiya-Striker-Sonic-Fighter-Team-CRP-3048-/352559311630?hash=item52162c2b0e