Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

Clodbuster / Bullhead wheel wideners

I've never used the CPE wideners, but many people do.  It will make the truck a bit more stable but in my opinion it looks terrible with wideners.  Takes the Clod from looking like a scale monster truck to looking like a 1/8 truggy, just not my thing.  

The best way to widen a Clod nowadays is to get a set of aftermarket wheels.  The Proline Brawlers come in +17.5mm offset and even better the JConcepts Tribute wheel comes with three different offset adapters.  I would recommend the Tribute wheels, most scale looking monster truck tire on the market plus you get three width to choose from.  

• Like 3

87LC  is right. I have a set of those JConcepts Tribute and they look great and are easily adjustable.  I have a set on my Axial SMT10. I tried the different widths and there is a noticeable difference in look and performance.

C5C51F8F-6096-4211-8ABD-83B944E1EB59.jpeg

• Like 4

The Tributes & Firestorms look awesome on your SMT10 Digger.  Offset looks great too.

IMO the stock Bullhead and Clod Buster only really have a tendancy to roll if you give it what with the steering (mostly rear when going forward) cranked. 

I agree wideners on a stock clod look naff.

I have ZRP 1" ones on my mod clod, it needs them to clear the body though.

• Like 1

Maybe the extra width from the wideners won't look too bad against the taller Bullhead shell... it might even out the proportions as the Bullhead does look top heavy with that taller shell compared to the Clods? 

Thanks for the wheel options guys they are good to know, a little bit pricey right now as I just outlaid for the truck, ESC and servo already so these possibilities are now stored for later on :)

In practice I'm still yet to discover how my Bullhead handles as I've only ran it indoors for 2 minutes, but you know it's good to research options for a new RC.... and it's in pieces now after taking out the electronics waiting for an 860 esc and new servo.

Must resist the GraveDigger look :(

It only just came to me but a couple days ago I saw some parts on the CPE website called 'rear steer lockout' and now I think about it, that must be if you want to go from 4 wheel steering to only 2 wheel steering... by installing that lockout device on one axle to give only front or rear steering?

( You would then have to remove the servo rod to that chosen axle as well?) 

Yes, you are correct on the rear steer lockouts.  However, they are mainly used when the front servo is relocated to the axle and upgraded for much more torque.  If you simply remove the rear linkage and leave the servo in the center of the chassis with rear lockouts installed I doubt it would steer at all.  I would stick with the 4WS, unless you're racing it really helps these trucks turn much better.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 87lc2 said:

Yes, you are correct on the rear steer lockouts.  However, they are mainly used when the front servo is relocated to the axle and upgraded for much more torque.  If you simply remove the rear linkage and leave the servo in the center of the chassis with rear lockouts installed I doubt it would steer at all.  I would stick with the 4WS, unless you're racing it really helps these trucks turn much better.

Wow I hadn't thought that far ahead that my suggestion wouldn't work so thanks for the warning ;)

I actually liked the look of the 4ws while I tested it out so yep that's staying,  all powered by a new 25KG servo in the middle when it arrives ( hopefully with a longer servo horn too)

No problem, happy to help.  If you're keeping the truck mostly stock I would recommend sticking with the 4WS setup.  With a good servo and a longer horn it will do just fine.  Even on my heavily modded Clodbusters I stick with 4WS, the only trucks that I run 2WS on are dedicated race trucks.  I like to run a servo on each axle, but if you're keeping it mostly stock then you'll be fine with the center mounted servo.

• Thanks 1

I've heard the term Race Clod and still am unsure what could qualify for one, they sound the bees knees, what sets them apart from a stock Clod and what speeds do yours race at?

Race Clod can mean many things actually, anything from "stock" class to all out custom frame plate trucks that basically only have axle housings from the original truck.  I have more than a few Clods but most run trails and mud with them, but I do have one or two race trucks.  I haven't raced in a while since the events dried up in me area, which is why I turned more towards crawling & trail running.

The last modified race truck I built used a CPE chassis and ran dual 5700kv brushless systems on 3-4s power.  It was quite a handful.   Never really clocked the top speed, but I would say conservatively it would do at least 40 mph.  Monster truck racing is typically short bursts in drag race style with a few obstacles, it's not like typical RC racing around an entire track.  Check out the Trigger King RC Monster Truck races videos, it will show you exactly what I'm talking about.  I really with I was closer to them and could join their club, looks like a ton of fun.

I have the most fun with a mildly modified stock truck (stock chassis, 4-link kit, axle mounted servos, oil shocks, and stock motors on 3s).  I think this is a great combination for an all around great performing truck that's a ton of fun.  Stockers can also be a ton of fun although I haven't had one in quite a few years.  I probably have enough spares to build a few more Clods, keep thinking I should build a stocker one day.  I have a spare Bowtie body in great shape, just haven't had a chance to go through my parts and put something together, too many projects!

Wooahah yep just checked out the Race Clods in action and that's my sort of thing... I like how they all individualise their trucks too... unless they are all copied from real 1:1 trucks as I only recognise a couple from the Monster Truck series (I'm UK based so not much of this in advertised over here)

I also saw the Pro Mod freestyle events which look even more fun blasting around jump to jump etc... glad a good few ended with Hp their trucks sitting conpletely still after a crash landing with the whining spinning motor - looking like the pinions came off the motors as that's usually a speciality of mine!

Thanks again for the insights, lots to look forward to with my stock Bullhead and seeing where I go from there... your already seasoned and still enjoying them so I'm sure I'll follow on to some degree ;)

I'm sure you'll love it.  Monster trucks are what brought me into RC and are still my favorite.  You can run them anytime, anywhere, and they're just so much fun.  Most of the trucks in the Trigger King series are modeled after real 1:1 US monster trucks, but a lot of them are owner creations as well.  I like to model my trucks after the 1:1 trucks I saw live when I was a kid.  Currently have a few Bigfoot trucks, a couple Grave Diggers, USA-1, and Excaliber.  Have plans for a few more as well, just need some time.

• Like 1