Grumpy pants

SWB M38 Correct Radio Set.

Ok so from what I have read tonight the SWB M38 was released in 1982 and it was available for a couple of years before discreetly morphing into the LWB until it was discontinued in 1988.

Radio gear I’ve just read the AP 227 (MK1) was in production from 1978 until early 1982 and then the MK11 set replaced it until 1983.

Can anyone confirm any of this?

The reason for asking is that I have a really nice MK2 Acoms Set that can go in my SWB M38 if the above is right.

In theory I could put MK1 set in but I need to buy the ARA 227 receiver. 

Thank you in advance! 

The 427 is a 4 channel  . The early 2 channel sets were the AP227 with green AS1 type servos and the huge receiver

• Thanks 1

It should be;

AP-227 Transmitter

2x AS1 servos (square horn fitment)

ARA-227 Receiver

AB1 Battery holder

Having said that though I’ve had an original SWB that came fitted with the above and ASA-227 servos though they were early versions which were green in colour rather than black.

• Thanks 1

Apologies gang, fatigue kicking in!

I meant 227 MK1 or MK2. 

So that means I have a handset and servos. 

R/X and battery holder required then. 

The M38 was released in the crossover between the different versions from Acoms, & during the crossover they did tend to mix and match what was supplied together. 

I would have said that the Mk1 would probably be more appropriate for the SWB, though the Mk2 is still totally acceptable as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back then kits also took time to get here after their official release + sat on shelves for months / years. 

As did old Acoms sets to be fair.

Personally, I’d go with your Mk2 as it’s what most would have bought at the time unless stock clearance Mk1 sets were heavily discounted.

I run Mk2 sets in my vintage Ranger / Sand Rover + both look / perform spot on. 

My Super Champ came with near perfect legacy Sanwa gear otherwise I’d swap it out for similar !

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a nice boxed MK2 set that is just missing the AA battery holder and switch this could go in saving me sometime and money.

The left over MK1 & MK2 items could then be sold on...which makes life a bit simpler. 

Thanks for all the info gang.

I’m going to use the MK2 I have as it’s the better condition set and more complete than my MK1 radio gear. 

• Like 1