Sign in to follow this  
Man1c M0nk3y

Help with Universal lengths.

Hi all,

I’m currently playing with ideas in my head but have ended up lost trying to figure something out!

I’m looking at ideas for a potential future build and to sort the universals might need the axle part from one set and the swing shaft from another, granted a potentially expensive way of doing things and not something I’m set on although worst case scenario I’d be able to use both sets elsewhere so not the end of the world  

Where my confusion lies is in the lengths of the swing shafts.

If I just used dogbones they are approximately 80mm pin to pin. 

The Top Force kit spec universals that I was running match up overall when axles are taken into account.

The Hop-Up DF02 (53791) ones which I believe (but very much could be wrong!) also fit the TF. Happy to be corrected here.

If that’s correct and is the case then as far as I can see and assuming the figure engraved on the swing shaft is the length then the shafts are 70mm on the Hop-Up set. Are the axles rear cup area longer and accounting for the extra 10mm? Am I missing something?!

I intend to buy cheaper parts first to figure things out however the end goal is uni’s.

Also I know that you can buy some of the swing shafts separately as a spare. Does anyone know if the 70mm version is available as a spare?

Hope that makes sense!

The top force and df02 universals are indeed interchangeable. The 70mm swing shafts equate to 76mm dogbones in the same arrangement so I would have another look at your 80mm option. The only dogbones/universals from tamiya I know that are longer than the 70mm version are the front DB01 / TRF5XX series. The dogbone (51316) is 84mm long. The swing shaft for the universal for this is 78mm (9804794). Worth just googling 80mm rc dogbone or something. I was looking for longer shafts when I was thinking about doing a truck out of my TRF201. There's a lot out there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Worth just googling 80mm rc dogbone or something.

What is it they say about measuring more than once?

Now I’m actually awake and can use a ruler 😳 I make the dogbones in question 71mm pin to pin (77mm fully end to end). I really need some callipers. 

So then I know these dogbones should work as I have some already in the DT03 and they match up to the dogbones in the TF so realistically the DF02 universals ‘should’ be the correct length swing shaft. 

Does anyone know if the DF02 53791 universals will fit a TL-01B? If so that pretty much seals it. 

Again though it’d be better if I could just buy the swing shaft as a spare rather than the full 53791 set so a message to Tony’s Tamiya Parts tomorrow might be in order unless someone can confirm either way, preferably with part numbers of you can buy the shafts alone.

I really should finish the cars I’ve got on the go instead of pondering things I don’t even have!

As far as I know, pretty much everything buggy 4wd and a lot of the 2wd in the non-TRF range since the Thundershot uses those 70mm swing shaft universals or 76mm driveshafts. 

If you rebuild them carefully when you get them (grease plus threadlock) Yeah Racing universals are very cheap alternative to tamiya. They are usually listed as one for one of the DF series buggies. 

• Like 1

I’m using the yeah racing df03 universals in my top force and Manta Ray, no issues to date. 

Part no #DF03-015V2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I’m using the yeah racing df03 universals in my top force and Manta Ray, no issues to date. 

Part no #DF03-015V2

Cool. Cheers. Massive difference in price. Two sets for different models split and re made for less than one set of Tamiya ones. Worth a shot at those prices!

I think I have 10 pairs across various models. I think the Tamiya units are better quality but most my models don’t get a lot of use. They have stood up to fairly heavy brushless setups. 

32 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Cool. Cheers. Massive difference in price. Two sets for different models split and re made for less than one set of Tamiya ones. Worth a shot at those prices!

I am using M03 yeah racing universals. Pretty happy with them. And they come preinstalled, cheapish, and they got me rid of the chatter noise. On the M03 FWD