NlGHTHAWK

Tamiya F104W Grinding Noise

Hi All,

I've been racing my Tamiya F104W chassis, with no issues whatsoever. However, after taking it out tonight, I've noticed an abnormal grinding noise coming from the rear of the car. I replaced the spur gear before taking the car out tonight, as the original one was stripped. However, I'm still running the stock Tamiya pinion and spur sizes (17t pinion, 63t spur). Since then, I've noticed the grinding noise. I stopped the car immediately, and reset the tension on the differential, as well as reset the meshing of the pinion and spur. I also rebuilt the differential, and re-lubricated the diff balls with Tamiya Ball Diff Grease, but the grinding noise still occurs. I've also put some fresh oil on the motor to rule out that as being a cause. If someone could help me figure out the issue, that would be greatly appreciated. Everything I've tried so far isn't working!

Link to grinding noise: 

Cheers

1,There is two options for spurs from memory, 0.4 mod and 0.6, make sure you have the correct one to match the pinion. 2, mesh could still be tight. 3, pinions and spurs pick up debris on these, could have grit embedded in it and need replacing.

Did you use a plastic bag to adjust the gap between spur and pinion? Thats the only way it could make grinding noise. Try to move the spur and pinion away a bit. So that they hardly touch.

What was the cause of the stripped spur gear?

Could be worth trying a new pinion too - if it was the original one from the kit made of cheese then the teeth on this may have worn so that they dont mesh correctly with brand new spur.