KEV THE REV

Vintage Scorcher gets a re-fit - not before time

I've had this SRB mothballed for a few years , it is a vintage model with the famous Volksrod # 7 shell  . I've taken out the manual speedo and fitted a 1060 ESC , a new hump battery and fitted Wild One wheels for a fresh look . The rear axles are modified Lunchbox axles and now will take many wheel types . I fitted rear coil over shocks , and just waiting for the front pair to arrive .

scorcher2019 4.JPG

scorcher 2019 .JPG

• Like 7

funny I did the same thing to my srb, I made longer axles from grasshopper axles to fit hex adapters only I am going to use kyosho turbo scorpion wheels.

• Like 1

I like the sound of Scorpion wheels , Will the fronts fit straight on or do you need adapters ? post up some pics when you have them fitted on  :)

19 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I like the sound of Scorpion wheels , Will the fronts fit straight on or do you need adapters ? post up some pics when you have them fitted on  :)

I have made some pictures for you, I am rebuilding the car right now, the rear wheels are from a kyosho turbo scorpion, and the front from a kyosho beetle. the front wheels from the turbo scorpion are a larger in diameter ,and I wanted the wheels and tires close to stock sizes.

The front wheel bold straight on if you use 2 850 bearings in them.

I have to paint the wheels one color.

The last 2 pictures is how the car was before I rebuild it, I have a new body for it that I am going to special piant, and have some new shocks for the front, the tamiya ones are going to my cc-01 build.

I have change the spur gear to with an adaptor made of zahhak parts I now have a 32 pitch 54 tooth team associated spur gear on it.

IMG_7053.JPG

IMG_7058.JPG

IMG_7061.JPG

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5973.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

That looks great , thanks for the pics and info

I am going to post some more pictures when the car is done 

I've swapped out the Scorcher body for another SS shell that I built . I've modified the shell to freshen it up and applied new custom door numbers made by a new supplier that I've just found , the numbers have no backing , just the black that you can see , so no cutting out just a 2 stage application , of stick on , and peel off the top layer. . I'm in the process of fitting re-re Tomahawk F&R wheels / tyres . The fronts mount up easy , the rears mount up onto the modified Lunchie axles with some fettling of the original Tamiya drive discs and opening up the Kyosho rear wheel centres to 5mm . This gives a positive fixing and drive , better than the limp 'knurled' boss that is the original Kyosho mount system that just relies on the pressure of the wheel nut , which is a similar , avoidable , fault to the Marui Samurai rear drive . Here's a quick pic before the rear tyre lettering is done

P3060002.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I've swapped out the Scorcher body for another SS shell that I built . I've modified the shell to freshen it up and applied new custom door numbers made by a new supplier that I've just found , the numbers have no backing , just the black that you can see , so no cutting out just a 2 stage application , of stick on , and peel off the top layer. . I'm in the process of fitting re-re Tomahawk F&R wheels / tyres . The fronts mount up easy , the rears mount up onto the modified Lunchie axles with some fettling of the original Tamiya drive discs and opening up the Kyosho rear wheel centres to 5mm . This gives a positive fixing and drive , better than the limp 'knurled' boss that is the original Kyosho mount system that just relies on the pressure of the wheel nut , which is a similar , avoidable , fault to the Marui Samurai rear drive . Here's a quick pic before the rear tyre lettering is done

P3060002.JPG

They look good, for the rear of mine I ordered satin chrome finish ones to match the front rims, for the price I payed for it  I don't want to hassle with paint, when they arrived and the car is finished I post some pictures.

I changed the rear axles to the stock ones, with a 15mm hex adaptor, the grashopper axles had a 18mm hex adaptor on it that was because I ran the car with hornet tires and the tires touch the shocks, with the kyosho wheels the 15mm hex gives enough clearence, and reduce the trackwide a little.

• Like 1

Sounds good , look foreward to seeing it . I like this Tomahawk look , just the rear drive on the wheels is a poor design , but I've sorted that .

I've now fitted a Twinset butterfly alu chassis that I've had here for a number of years and new old stock rear cage as this one has been broken for a long time  . I didn't appreciate the 'flap' that was in the original FRP plate until I fitted this . I also made a rear gearbox lower protection plate out of the old triangular Tamiya chassis brace plate.

Decided to make some F & R inner wheel arch liners and rear shelf and fire extinguisher for the bug . It makes the shell look more solid now and a bit more realistic . I've seen these fitted before so I thought I would give it a go

before .JPG

after.JPG

before rear .JPG

rear after.JPG

P3300006.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice work on the body mods and inner fender wells

I finished mine today, I wanted a new body on it because the old one mounted to much to the front and the rear wheels hit the fenders, but with little time these days and  4 other builds to do I decided to chop of the fenders for now and  replace the body if this one i gone.

your car look real nice with that body and that wheels.

I only use lexan bodies the abs bodies are to fragilie for my driving style, I had a abs body on it ,and in that one  I put a lot of work in it to make it real nice, then I drove the car for the first time and after 2 minutes the car roll over and crack the roof in 2 pecies thats when I decided I don´t use abs bodies anymore it was not not the first abs body that cracked on me.

IMG_7120.JPG

IMG_7121.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG