Sign in to follow this  
colda

Hinge Pins - (TT02 and others)

I'm no fan of the usual tamiya screw pins and would rather be using shafts and e-clips, for my TT02 I've just ordered some 3x22mm shafts (part #54395) for the rear suspension in the hope that they will fit as searching for something standard proved to be a bit of a challenge. Thinking about my other projects, does anyone know of a simple way to find standard products or should I be thinking about manufacturing my own (I have a small lathe)?

TL01 stainless shafts pt# 53301 is a popular one for shafts and generally easy to get hold of. 

Have them and the ones you have ordered already on the DT03. Some need spacers to fit properly between the part and e-clip such as Tamiya 53539 otherwise the shaft may be able to move forwards/backwards. 

• Like 1

As Manic says, those you have and TL01 are good. I also picked up the M05 set 54613 which has 37mm, 48.5 and 58.5 options. 37s are useful for some longer outer hinge positions and 48.5 seems fairly popular on inner positions. The 58.5 is a bit random but I needed it for a particular bit of my Thunder Dragon. 

For your TT02 it would be worth looking at the Type S manual. That runs TRF style suspension so you might get some good ideas about parts to use there. 

• Like 2

Quickly checked this morning and the 3x22mm pins seem to be a good size (might need a couple of shims) although they are a bit tight on my gpm parts but that's an easy fix.

I think I'll be getting another pack and some of the TL01 jobbies to put in the box of the yet to be built DT03 :)