tamiya_1971

XR311 Tires - Inner diameters

I came across an old XR311 and bought it.

All four tires are torn and no good. I also was provided an original XR311 buggy tyre box with two brand new Good Year printed tires that look identical to the originals. I was also provided two new tires (modern ones, no Good Year printing).

Now, the new, old ones have an inner diameter of 32.87mm. I might add these tires were mounted to what appears to be a three piece rim similar to a Hornet. The old wheel will not fit into this tire, it's loose.

The old torn tire and the new tire both have an inner diameter of 27.54mm and the old rim fits just fine into the new tire.

Was there a Tamiya model that used a similar tire to the XR311 that had a larger inner diameter, or did those rims just stretch out the inner diameter so much that they will no longer work with the smaller rim?

OrYoS17.jpg

Below from left to right:  New tire, old new tire with larger diameter hole, original tire.

ED9bEtG.jpg

MFrW7mi.jpg

3 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Was there a Tamiya model that used a similar tire to the XR311 that had a larger inner diameter, or did those rims just stretch out the inner diameter so much that they will no longer work with the smaller rim?

No. The XR311 is the only vehicle to use those Goodyear tires.

Judging from what you mention, there is a chance the tire diameter could have changed because of those CRP rims. I think the three-piece CRP wheels you have there are slightly larger than the original Sand Scorcher front ones. I know that because I had the same ones years ago, and nowadays I do have vintage tires from both, XR11 AND Lamborghini Cheetah mounted on Sand Scorcher type front wheels. And the tires happen to fit these white rims perfectly (pics below).

93LHSk6.jpg

IhJ1NtD.jpg

Also, I think I've read somewhere the new XR311 are different in height from the original Goodyear ones. Don't remember if they were taller or not, but I certainly remember reading they're not exactly the same.

As for Lamborghini Cheetah tires, they have never been re-released.

Enjoy the restoration. The original XR311 is not only an historic piece (being Tamiya's first ever electric offroader) but it is also a terrific specimen to work on and appreciate! :)

• Like 2

Bummer! I had a feeling those things were probably stretched out. I'll order some of the rere's and put those things (less those dang rims) back into the box. 

The XR311 is honestly the strangest Tamiya I've seen. It was never on my radar to purchase but the price was right so I'm going to hang on to it.  I think the body looks to be the worst of it.

I dig the Cheetah tires on the Frog and Hornet.

• Like 1

Well, if you ever change your mind about keeping the XR311... :rolleyes:

After writing I got to remember where I got the CRP wheels from. They came with the FAV I got from someone in CA about a decade ago. The front tires I used on my Custom IH tractor were perfect (pic below). And now I do remember the inner dia. of those ribbed front tires was larger than Tamiya's. I mean I could mount Tamiya tires on the CRP wheel alright (stretching them a bit) but I could not fit the ribbed CRP tires on to the white Tamiya wheels. I remember that was frustrating.

These are the matching tires for the black wheels you have:

x4qngQ8.jpg

I would love to see pictures of your XR311.

Why don't you open a XR311 rebuild thread?

• Like 1

That tractor is pretty dang cool. I wish I had "ideas" to build up some cool creations!  I have enough trouble trying to figure out a color to paint a body.

I'll post some pics of the XR311 later this evening. I'm looking at parts and have a cart full of new ones from TamiyaUSA and eBay. I noticed some cracks in the arms today. The gears look fantastic though. The motor looks to be original. The body....I may just order all the parts to put together a new one and then order some decals from MCI. It's such an odd little rc, I don't think I could part with it. :D

Here is what I ended up with (about 60 bucks total, not too bad, but the cost on purchasing the parts I need to get the body looking good, a set of tires, and bearings are going to run about 120).  I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Plus, I can't seem to locate any B Parts anywhere at the moment.

dLBLDkj.jpg

5ZXEuti.jpg

A2P1o6m.jpg

QwH9Rl8.jpg

PRuuyoA.jpg

bukRjUb.jpg

• Like 1

Great purchase and to my eyes that car looks absolutely fantastic! That's a restoration I know I'd love to do one day.

Keep the pics coming, and good luck finding the missing bits. :)