Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

Scania rear lights + general light lens question.

Sorry for the basic stuff but its all new to me.

Firstly my Scania R620. The rear light buckets/cluster have 3 pockets BUT the manuals show 4 bulbs being fitted. I did read somewhere where a guy said he wish he added a extra rear light from the start. Any info/tips on Scania lighting would be great.

Secondly when it comes to the lens what is the best paint to go with? Tamiya or Valejo? And how many coats is a norm? should the lens look really colour solid so you can not see the bulb well OR very translucent. Also is it best to use styrene cement OR a acrylic white glue made for plastic model kits?

cant say on the scania as i dont have one but follow both the mfu and the kit instructions and use the tamiya red and orange for the lens it will take around 2 to 3 coats its really your call try what i said but if you aint happy then do it untill you cant see the bulb untill it is lit up as the leds are bright anyway. and if i remember i used tyre glue as that was what i had to hand 

Hi I have a Scania r620 with the mfc03 and as it was my first truck I fell into this trap, basically if you follow the instructions it tells you to use the 5mm led that would be used for the reverse lights somewhere in the front lights. I only realised this after the truck was built and I was really annoyed when the reverse lights didn’t work! (I should have known but it was my first truck and the mfc was new to me) so I used a set of included 3mm leds from the mfc set in the reverse lights, even tho they are loose in the lamp holders they stay put when the rear lamps are assembled 

1 hour ago, Gazzalene said:

Tyre glue, whats that?

well its glue for sticking the tyres to the wheels :lol: you will come across it when you come to that part in your instructions as it tells you to stick the tyres on the wheels 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xrc+tyre+glue.TRS0&_nkw=rc+tyre+glue&_sacat=0

I just thought it was CA to glue the tyres on. Never knew there was a specific glue !  This is all new to me.

• Like 1

Tyre glue is a very thin CA glue.  Be careful with it, it's easy to get it absolutely everywhere.

I use Tamiya's thin cement for light clusters but I must admit I don't have much luck, they tend to fall off.  I have heard some people say that regular CA glues give off a vapour that fogs the lenses.

Whatever you use be careful with it and start with small amounts, if you get it onto the lens part it will ruin it.  I have a trick that involves using double-sided tape to stick the lens to my finger while I add the glue and press it into place.  It's easier than trying to hold it between two fingers.  The glue will wick between finger and lens if you're not careful.

Once you've pressed the lens into place you can then hold it down with another finger while you pry your skin away from the tape.  Take your time :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

I just thought it was CA to glue the tyres on. Never knew there was a specific glue !  This is all new to me.

dont worrie i have 2 trucks and i have only scratched the surface so far their is so much to learn and then the worst part is trying to remember it after :lol:.

i have had my grand hauler built since it was first released and the same with the merc and they have both just sat on the shelf looking good as their is no where to use them by me