Vintage1

Vintage Hot Shot restoration Help.

Hi, first time posting. I'm in the process of restoring an original Hotshot. Original body and decals sourced from Switzerland , new heat sink resistors from the USA, as it was fitted with the later box style. The help I need is the motor had the 80's ballon bag fitted which is mainly fried, crusted and stuck to the motor. Has anyone got any great ideas on how to remove the fried rubber from the case ? I could add a later motor but apart from a wheel attachment  I've used vintage parts and want to keep it that way, as I have done with my HSII.  Any recommendations would be appreciated. Or has anyone got a period 540 with red and black leads, not yellow and green. Thank you in advance. 

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Edited by Vintage1
Added Photos

Dude post pics!!!! I love the old cars! I'm sorry I can't contribute to to your search. There is just that "something" about the old cars, even the re-releases that modern cars don't have. Anyway, good luck!! Post what you have!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vintage1 said:

has anyone got a period 540 with red and black leads, not yellow and green.

As far as I understand all of the regular mabuchi and johnson plastic endbell motors (black or white) were fitted with yellow and green cables.

The only ones with red and black leads were the special motors like the Technituned, Technipower, Technigold, and the pink Actopower.

9 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

As far as I understand all of the regular mabuchi and johnson plastic endbell motors (black or white) were fitted with yellow and green cables.

The only ones with red and black leads were the special motors like the Technituned, Technipower, Technigold, and the pink Actopower.

Nope. All 58047 Hotshot kits came with the black end bell Mabuchi motor with red & black cables attached.

The transition to yellow & green cables started with the Boomerang.

• Like 1

While I understand the desire to have a period correct motor, if all you are looking for is black/red wiring with a silver can, why not just change the wiring color to whatever you want?  i.e. unsolder yellow/green and solder red/black...

• Like 1

Spray-on automotive gasket remover might do the trick... Should be available at any auto parts store. 

Hi Gents, thanks for you comments. S-PCS thanks for you solution, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Cheers. 

14 hours ago, Wandy said:

Nope. All 58047 Hotshot kits came with the black end bell Mabuchi motor with red & black cables attached.

The transition to yellow & green cables started with the Boomerang.

Not sure what you mean by transition, mate. You mean that specifically for the 4x4 buggy chassis?

I can't say much about the HotShot (because I don't have one myself), but all of the pre-1985 Tamiya cars that I have and have seen in person have the yellow & green cables.

Promo pictures for the HotShot show the g&y cables, but again, I don't have one myself to confirm :(

tamiyahotshot003.jpg

I have an original unmolested example of a Hotshot II, I removed the motor to fit a technigold.

I just checked the sealed bag which was marked when I changed motors and sure enough the motor has red and black wires, my car came from Japan about 3 years ago, maybe Japanese domestic versions had different cables?

Edit, I just copied this pick of a MK 1 Hotshot NIB, with red and black wires

MK1 NIB.PNG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Not sure what you mean by transition, mate. You mean that specifically for the 4x4 buggy chassis?

I can't say much about the HotShot (because I don't have one myself), but all of the pre-1985 Tamiya cars that I have and have seen in person have the yellow & green cables.

Promo pictures for the HotShot show the g&y cables, but again, I don't have one myself to confirm :(

Sorry, yes I was referring specifically to the Hotshot chassis family. I'm aware that the yellow & green wires were used on other kits before the Hotshot but, as far as I am aware, no 58047 Hotshot kit ever came with yellow & green wired motors.

That promo car must have been fitted up with a motor from another kit. And the MSC wires on 58047 Hotshot kits were also always red & black.

Happy to be corrected if someone else can show otherwise though. :)

• Like 1

Just had a quick look at the #58047 Hotshot kits in people's showrooms and they all have the black end-belled Mabuchi with red & black wires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wandy said:

yes I was referring specifically to the Hotshot chassis family.

Oh, that's it! Yes you're right. I grew up seeing my cousin's Boomerang here back in the late 80's and the only 4x4 buggy that I have is the BigWig, so I did not have much knowledge available on that particular line of buggies.

You all have a fantastic weekend! :)

On 2/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, Vintage1 said:

Hi, first time posting. I'm in the process of restoring an original Hotshot. Original body and decals sourced from Switzerland , new heat sink resistors from the USA, as it was fitted with the later box style. The help I need is the motor had the 80's ballon bag fitted which is mainly fried, crusted and stuck to the motor. Has anyone got any great ideas on how to remove the fried rubber from the case ? I could add a later motor but apart from a wheel attachment  I've used vintage parts and want to keep it that way, as I have done with my HSII.  Any recommendations would be appreciated. Or has anyone got a period 540 with red and black leads, not yellow and green. Thank you in advance. 

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Those wires look a bit chewed up , I would replace them . Try some heat on that rubber and see if it will scrape off ( use a wooden scraper ) if the gasket remover doesn't work - or even try it first .

Just got this little gem that's been sitting in a box for the last 30 years, mk.2 or mk.3? Anyone know?

20190912_131746.jpg

20190912_140905.jpg