ThunderDragonCy

Rally car - TB01 or TT02 Type S?

So if "IN THEORY" I was looking for a shaft drive TC which would you go for? Everyone seems to rave about the TB01 as a rally car, but the tt02 type s is more modern with decent suspension. I don't want an xv01. I just have a massive crush on that RS200 shell that just come out and I don't think it will fit my RR03 thing. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I don't want an xv01.

Yeah you do - you just havent listened to enough of us telling you you need one.

I will start - get an XV-01 a rally shell needs a a rally chassis for sure :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have a TT-02R that I set up for off road. It's not the suspension or clearence that's an issue but the way the low tub just fills with debris and dirt. The desperately need dust covers or some such. Gave up in the end and reverted back to on road. 

3 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I will start - get an XV-01 a rally shell needs a a rally chassis for sure

Definitely this! Fully covered and protected... 

The only proper rally-spec chassis I have is an old TB01.  It has the dust cover, so it doesn't get any gravel in the tub.  I think it also has TB Evo arms, and it took me an age to figure out why I couldn't get replacement UJs to fit after mine destructed.  Ground clearance is good with long shocks and the TB wasn't a bargain basement chassis when it was new.  It's heavy compared to a TT02 but heavy is good, heavy is reliable.

I keep meaning to build my NIB XV-01T into rally spec but since nobody ever goes rallying any more there doesn't seem much point in rushing it, especially as I haven't found a readily-available rally shell that I really like yet (with the possible exception of the new Quattro).

30 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

I have a TT-02R that I set up for off road. It's not the suspension or clearence that's an issue but the way the low tub just fills with debris and dirt. The desperately need dust covers or some such. Gave up in the end and reverted back to on road. 

Could you pop a neo scorcher shell on the tub to seal it underneath a TC shell? 

35 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Could you pop a neo scorcher shell on the tub to seal it underneath a TC shell? 

Thought about this myself. The Neo uses the two mounts on the gearbox where the forward upper wishbone mounts go on for the TT-02 so can't be used. You could probably velcro the Neo to the tub as it looks like a close fit. 

Hadn't realised the TB-01 had a dust cover. That would make a better rally chassis I'm sure. 

XV-01.  By the time you hop up a TT-02 you could buy an XV-01 and box stock will still out perform a TT-02.  Nothing turns like an XV-01.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

Thought about this myself. The Neo uses the two mounts on the gearbox where the forward upper wishbone mounts go on for the TT-02 so can't be used. You could probably velcro the Neo to the tub as it looks like a close fit. 

Hadn't realised the TB-01 had a dust cover. That would make a better rally chassis I'm sure. 

Yeah, I was thinking you'd trim the nose and tail off the buggy shell and velcro to the sides of the tub.

• Like 1

If you raise type S suspension to a useable rally height you will have heaps of positive camber to dial out. Probably enough that you have to look for shorter driveshafts. You will also need longer shocks to even achieve that ride height, since there is very little adjustability unlike the normal TT02 where you can flip the hubs upside down. The Type S / TRF has a reputation for breaking hubs, I'm not sure it is the best choice for rally.

13 minutes ago, nbTMM said:

If you raise type S suspension to a useable rally height you will have heaps of positive camber to dial out. Probably enough that you have to look for shorter driveshafts. You will also need longer shocks to even achieve that ride height, since there is very little adjustability unlike the normal TT02 where you can flip the hubs upside down. The Type S / TRF has a reputation for breaking hubs, I'm not sure it is the best choice for rally.

Nope, TRF works with standart driveshafts even after filing to ~25mm. You are right about shock, but some gain can be achieved with long ball Connectors.

Cracking of hubs can be solved with soft hubs from TB03.

I have owned a xv-01 its a great handling car, but the thing I don't like about it is the battery compartment with no room for the battery wires, I drilled 2 holes  true the chassis on the place where the battery connectors are, and plug the wire in from above the chassis, and the stupid battery door with screws.

It has some flaws to, with brushless power you wil hear a clicking niose, its the pin that holds the idle gear in place thats skipping on it, in the end the idle gear is wil rounded out because of the pin skipping, the problem is that the pin is hold in place with a tiny plastic spacer thats is to weak, and there is to much play on the spacer and idle gear shaft, I have made my own spacer from metal and filed the play with shims.

the suspension pins on the arms can pop out easy when you hit something, with alloy suspension pin holder the problem is gone.

I sold the car because I only drove it onroad  , the same thing why I sold my tt-01, with brushless power and my driving style every 2  to 3 battery packs the tires are gone, I was eating tires, now I run onroad with an sct and run already 25 runs on the same tires and there is enough left for another 25 runs.

• Like 2

I appreciate that you want a mid/rear motor chassis to go with the RS200 chassis. 

The TT02S would be fine as a rally car, alloy C hub and some unis. Longer shocks obviously. People crying that it fills up the chassis with dirt, IME it’s no worse than when it’s used as a TT02B...

alternatively consider TL01LA or TA02. 

Of course the XV01 is a better rally car in many ways, it’s not going to drive like a RS200 death trap so I understand the need for a different chassis. 

There is a number of reasons why you wouldn’t TB01 it, most of those being availability. @TwistedxSlayer Already has them all.... 

24 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

.People crying that it fills up the chassis with dirt, IME it’s no worse than when it’s used as a TT02B...

TT02B uses shell as dust cover. If it can be fitted to road TT02, it will be as dustproof as TB01

5 minutes ago, Honza said:

TT02B uses shell as dust cover. If it can be fitted to road TT02, it will be as dustproof as TB01

I have 2 TT02b’s they always end up full of crap with the buggy shells on them, Doesn’t seem to bother the chassis. You could make some wheel guards in a rally shell fairly easily if you wanted to reduce the ingress. My XV01 still fills up with crap anyway. I know the TB01 solution is the best setup (like the HPI rally it was competing with at the time) but TB01’s are not that easy to come by, especially with a new cover included. 

The XV-01 really is so good that nothing quite compares. The guys in our group that use the TT02 fight with a lack of steering angle and lack of adjustability, as well as dirt intrusion.

I'd look for a DF-03 RA or a TA-02 for a shaft car, and then you won't have to worry about torque steer, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did someone mention TB01 ❤️❤️❤️

TB01 is the daddy of shaft driven rally cars IMO. Yeah it's a little heavy but compared against what?

I weighed my TB01 and my TT02B and there isnt that much in it to be honest.

Official tamiya dust covers are getting a little harder to find but TBG make a very nice copy of it and it velcro attaches onto the chassis to give an excellent dust shield which is much better. Parts are getting a little thin and I do have several of them. Lol. But they are tough as old boots to break. Weakest point is the shock tower but you've gotta hit it hard to break it and if it breaks you can screw the top shock mounts on to the gearbox casing. And good luck breaking that.

I've had mine seen 2001. I broke one tower on a head on smash at full speed against a TL01 and the 2nd broke after some huge air and several barrel rolls. I used to run it very very hard and its never let me down. The ESC I was running died and the alloy prop shaft stripped a pinion gear running 4000kv brushless.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't let dust covers or the lack thereof worry you. Some fabric, a bit of velcro, some elastic and a few minutes with the sewing machine, and you have a breathable fabric dust cover that can keep the crud out of a TT-01, TT-02, TA-01, TA-02 or whatever else you happen to attach it to.

When choosing a rally car, I think it is important to consider how much wear it will suffer and the cost of replacement parts. Personally my rally car of choice is a mildly modified TT-01. It may not turn as realistically as the front motored XV-01, but it is very reliable, hardly ever breaks and costs next to nothing to fix when it does.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Personally I wouldn't let dust covers or the lack thereof worry you. Some fabric, a bit of velcro, some elastic and a few minutes with the sewing machine, and you have a breathable fabric dust cover that can keep the crud out of a TT-01, TT-02, TA-01, TA-02 or whatever else you happen to attach it to.

When choosing a rally car, I think it is important to consider how much wear it will suffer and the cost of replacement parts. Personally my rally car of choice is a mildly modified TT-01. It may not turn as realistically as the front motored XV-01, but it is very reliable, hardly ever breaks and costs next to nothing to fix when it does.

Agreed.  I did this years ago on a TT01 for my son.  My wife did the stitching/sewing on the shop rag for me, and I used leftover Velcro from some DB01 builds.  It kept the vast majority of crud out of the tub but let the electronics breathe.

IMG_0128.JPG

• Like 7

as this rally thing is kind of driving me crazy now, I am not sure should I go and impuls buy a TT01 to mod it for rally?

I dont like going back to things I already had and sold. I sold my first TT01RA ,Now as my TA05 IFS is sold also, I am really lacking a Tamiya 4wd, and with a 8T TBLM01 motor arriving... I keep thinking.... ''DF03RA, DF03RA, DF03RA, TT01RA... DF01 Lancer, no no DF03RA... MF01X... no no no m chassis obssesion... MF01X... TT01RA, DF03RA... DF01 Lancer.. OMG''

haha, thats what my head is like now. I know I want them all.

the TT01 is cheap, but needs a few modifications out of the box to work on rally...is the DF03RA a better choice, slipper clutch really necessary in offroad? what it do?

I need help... should I just go for a TT01...

as I sold my TA05, I need something to go along with my friends TB04, I want it to be at least a bit competiv against a TB04 basher wise. It would be fun to go offroad sometimes and still chase a TB04... so a TT02 may be better because of gearing options... I am really lost... 

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

as this rally thing is kind of driving me crazy now, I am not sure should I go and impuls buy a TT01 to mod it for rally? really lost... 

As you are in to your M class at the moment, why not stay small and have an M05ra?

M-04 and M-06 also work great for rally purposes. M-06 benefits from a tub cover but M-04 gathers minimal debris. 

• Like 1