Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

Tamiya Striker /. Sonic Fighter / Futaba FX10 Appreciation Society

Recommended Posts

I think you've all heard of the self preservation society?

This thread was needed for all lovers of the Striker family of cars seeing as they get a good natured rough ride from the majority of members here, which in all fairness is understandable, they don't appeal to many and they aren't race spec either... in fact the only reason I love them is because this was my first ever vintage car I chose to restore,  and now I know it pretty well so it's familiar... we all like familiar... no one likes change!

So please post up all your Strikers, Sonic Fighters and even their exiled love child the Futaba FX10, the more the merrier and non box art ones are most welcome too.

There's not alot to the technical side of these but if you have any little tricks/upgrades/fixes etc please let us know and tell us what you run in yours (if you dare run them!)

To kick this off here is my family photo collection so far.... it totals 6 of what some might say are a brood only a mother could love... I am that mother.

4 x Strikers

1 x Sonic Fighter

1 x Futaba FX10

Y3Mx4k8.jpg

1) This Striker is my first restoration done a couple of years ago.... I immediately chose to break convention and do it in black with custom MCI decals and some Fox wheels and tyres I think?! It was my first custom driver head too.

jJSPSHp.jpg

 

2) Then I followed this up with my only Sonic Fighter, again restored from a wreck, done in black again as i liked the look and it got a bearded driver figure sourced from the US and painted myself., these cars are the same underneath that top canopy. I sjut painted the stock wheels black for this one.

qVBZDQt.jpg

 

3) Next up is my 2nd Striker and my 3rd restoration, again from a wreck of a car... I am like stig of the dump.... it's not finished yet as I need to paint the driver head and arms etc but it will be done in a couple months... painted in a Ford Orange with some DT03 chrome wheels.

0oDSR3I.jpg

 

4) After having 3 non box art cars I decided I had better get a Box art one, this Striker came from France and is immaculate with original Box and instructions.... it is only for display despite having all period correct electronics in it (an MSC - yuck)

AJqJ8r0.jpg

 

5 + 6) I have @taffer to blame for this (I think it was Taffer?!) who sold me these two together in one hit... I really wanted a Striker i could run without fear of damage and he had a dry runner which was perfect.... he also had the Futaba FX10 so a deal was done and I'm glad it was... the Futaba FX10 is mint and will stay so.

iZ0eple.jpg

There's always questions about these two cars, so here are some side by shots to show some of the similarities and differences

wB4esCa.jpg

uwYjF2u.jpg

nNLH6F7.jpg

Rear Striker

XOjBfeA.jpg

Rear FX10

Eco52pu.jpg

Front Striker

cc42Fxw.jpg

Front FX10

N5CEKgY.jpg

Striker

7d5KR52.jpg

FX10

vvYx9A8.jpg

Striker rear arms mounting

l50ZQ7F.jpg

FX10 rear arms mounting

pcfWTW3.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes your right i sold you the striker and fx10

Over the years I've gone from the striker to preferring the sonic fighter, then I went back to the striker because it was the first of the two, waiting for pintopower to show his proposed modifications!

They still haven't been revealed so I sold you the striker and fx10 because I've gone back to preferring the sonic fighter!

At this moment in time I would get either if re-released...

As long as you don't have any impacts they are a worthy runner, I wouldn't go lower than a Super stock in them.....

Considering the Manta Ray price, I would hope that a striker would come in at approx £100

Edited by taffer
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an fx10 i purchased through rc car action  ad for  $40 only,must of been around 1989. It was a fun and interesting anomaly of a car. I remember putting team crp hop ups on it, i think dog bones and some other things. I also added oil rear shocks from one of my other tamiyas. There was a tip from rc action magazine on how to add shock strength on the crappy front shocks, you add a push button pen spring and t actually worked lol. I also used to run a trinity speedworks buggy master motor. The car lasted until i jumped of my brothers skate ramp and the front nose pf the chassis split

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised I did not see this kind of thing earlier - count me as a member who appreciates the Striker:

nvy49v.jpg

izywih.jpg

It is really a joy on loose gravel:

i23lac.jpg

14wdnbk.jpg

And I found it worked well in snow:

i1kzfc.jpg

It was a lot of fun on the pock-marked dirt fields I used to run on, as well, but sadly, those are gone.

I am glad I did not end up selling it, since it is such a unique runner. Mine sports the Team CRP FX-10 chassis brace (mandatory for a useful runner) and a silver-can motor. At present, it is one of the few cars I have that can run.

One day, I would like to convert the front end to some sort of double-wishbone suspension; the swing-axle arrangement at the front might be my only grievance with the model. Despite that, it still drives pleasantly on the largely-flat surfaces it has been seeing.

Given enough polystyrene and time, I might even attempt a Striker-inspired shell for my F1 chassis - that would be coming full-circle!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to see some love for the Striker/Sonic Fighter/FX10! I made a Special Interest Group on the main site called The Striker Foundation to help show the love for these models. Feel free to join it and show what you got. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I restored my '87 steiker👍..I'll post sum before  an after pics later :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one Striker I got at the end of last year, it's in pretty good original condition but luckily not so pristine that I would be scared to run it lol. It just needs the electrics swapping out for something more modern, maybe a Fighter shock tower so I can fit CVAs all round or FX10 suspension conversion. Oh, and sort the weak spot on the chassis!

It's about number 76 on the to do list lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

It's nice to see some love for the Striker/Sonic Fighter/FX10! I made a Special Interest Group on the main site called The Striker Foundation to help show the love for these models. Feel free to join it and show what you got. :) 

Great group you have there... that first Sonic Fighter looks absolutely stunning in gun metal grey!

18 hours ago, Grastens said:

I am surprised I did not see this kind of thing earlier - count me as a member who appreciates the Striker:

nvy49v.jpg

izywih.jpg

I am glad I did not end up selling it, since it is such a unique runner. Mine sports the Team CRP FX-10 chassis brace (mandatory for a useful runner) and a silver-can motor. At present, it is one of the few cars I have that can run.

It was thanks to you that got me hooked on this RC, if it wasn't for your help with my very first Striker restoration I doubt I'd have started/finished it.... totally invaluable at guiding me on how best to fit the CRP FX10 front brace and bumper ;)

 

10 hours ago, evssv69 said:

I restored my '87 steiker👍..I'll post sum before  an after pics later :D

Yes you have to.... mandatory now please ;)

 

5 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I have one Striker I got at the end of last year, it's in pretty good original condition but luckily not so pristine that I would be scared to run it lol. It just needs the electrics swapping out for something more modern, maybe a Fighter shock tower so I can fit CVAs all round or FX10 suspension conversion. Oh, and sort the weak spot on the chassis!

It's about number 76 on the to do list lol

76..... you'll never get to number 76 so I'll take it off your hands just PM me!

Failing that... pls hurry along to job number 76 and post it up here ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before :o

STRIKER001

STRIKER002STRIKER003STRIKER004STRIKER005

During...:)

stri001stri002stri003itami001tami003tami004sdf006sdf007ss001zc001

Getting there......^_^

tre001tre002tre003

Almost......B)

vcgdyhurt026vcgdyhurt029

Finished!:wub:!

vcgdyhurt030vcgdyhurt031vcgdyhurt032vcgdyhurt033

And here it hangs....

20190222_225209

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

76..... you'll never get to number 76 so I'll take it off your hands just PM me!

Failing that... pls hurry along to job number 76 and post it up here

The worst part is I'm not even sure if that's a massive exaggeration any more lol

Either way, it will be jumping the queue quite a bit. I'm determined to at least ballrace it and get it running before the summer is out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@evssv69 top job on that restoration, scrolling through that montage it just got better and better that I ended up with a big smile on my stupid mush.... until the very last picture where the Striker looks like a horror movie victim hanging upside down inside the serial killers basement awaiting torture like those other poor cars rofl!!! 

( Love that one to the right of the Striker - Madcap?!

Yeah great job boyo your Striker looks the nuts and that Raven motor looks cool with the logo there... got a link for it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

The worst part is I'm not even sure if that's a massive exaggeration any more lol

Either way, it will be jumping the queue quite a bit. I'm determined to at least ballrace it and get it running before the summer is out.

Make sure you fit the CRP front brace or just don't hit anything head on you'll be fine... good luck and glad to hear it's a queue jumper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:17 AM, Jason1145 said:

@evssv69 top job on that restoration, scrolling through that montage it just got better and better that I ended up with a big smile on my stupid mush.... until the very last picture where the Striker looks like a horror movie victim hanging upside down inside the serial killers basement awaiting torture like those other poor cars rofl!!! 

( Love that one to the right of the Striker - Madcap?!

Yeah great job boyo your Striker looks the nuts and that Raven motor looks cool with the logo there... got a link for it?

Thks dude👍....i did that resto bak in 2011 after me mum found in her loft..she bought me it bak in 1987 from kays catalogue...B)..so all i can say on the motor is it would of came off of ebay bak then in 2006....I bought  2x...the others in my ta03-F scobbie:)

And yes that madcap is my 1989 latest tamiya resto.;)....only needs 80..81..82...and 88 and 1990 now..:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, evssv69 said:

:D

20190321_115124

 

I think I missed this on Ebay last week, my £165 was outbid by about £3 I think lol... sweet looking example dude :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I think I missed this on Ebay last week, my £165 was outbid by about £3 I think lol... sweet looking example dude :)

That would of been me...:P..i bid 269....jus in case.:ph34r:..sorry dude....;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this