Sign in to follow this  
graemevw

Modified/custom grasshoppers

Does anyone remember a modified grasshopper that pics went around of a few years ago? I think it was in a japanese magazine. I cant really give any details apart from im pretty sure it was white and it looked ace. Seem to remember it had a fair few custom parts and was built to race.

Im getting ready to build my first grasshopper and cant decide whether to build it stock or not so looking for inspiration.

Apart from the one im looking for, has anyone got any pics of modified grasshoppers? A thread full of custom hoppers would be ace!

Edit, possibly should have been in general?

I am fairly sure you are thinking of the Grahoo hopper. 

So, so nice. Inspired me with Ultra G which is my Grasshopper 2 with all round independent suspension

UltraGRHR3Grasshopper2 Ultra G gets a new look. Neon Orange instead of green and blue instead of red on the Dress Up Decal Option 2 set from MCI Racing

Search Ultra G and the build thread will pop up. 

• Like 4

Thats the one! Love it (apart from the wheels).

Just looked up your build, i remember it now. Looks good with the thundershot series arms etc.

Just now, graemevw said:

Thats the one! Love it (apart from the wheels).

Yeah, sticking with those awful astral dish wheels just because they are tamiya isn't great. Some DF03 rears and maybe some cut down TRF201 fronts would have been nice. 

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yeah, sticking with those awful astral dish wheels just because they are tamiya isn't great. Some DF03 rears and maybe some cut down TRF201 fronts would have been nice. 

Yeah, just needs something smaller.

Not mine but I really like this one, don't know what parts are in it though, I saved this several months ago and forgot about it until now.

4c70c86db941c2855e166e4210ffea98.jpg.6eceac19ca5f26185bfd2b608f56aa40.jpg

• Like 5

I like that! Similar vibe but more understated. Double arm suspension all round, i wonder what was used. Doesnt look fx10 on the front.

Expensive but will definitely work option would the the AMPRO Superfly2 conversion. Meant for a Hornet but should work on a grasshopper. Mine uses a whole Thundershot rear end with my front end conversion using either Thundershot or DT03 arms. 

I think if i was going to do it id try and keep the original gearbox.

Im unsure what ill do though tbh. I dont own an unmodified tamiya so chances are it will get some changes, but not sure if ill go any further than getting some oil shocks on it somehow (the ebay china ones look good but whether they are or not is another matter. Not cheap either!).

But, lower, double arms and decent shocks does appeal.

Apart from being a fun project the main reason I did Ultra G is because I find the solid axle cars handling really annoying. I know plenty of people like the charm, but I like my buggies to handle at least vaguely adequately, but I love the GH2 shell. Ultra G actually handles really well. Moves so nicely on track. I say give it a go and do a build thread. I can really easily modify the anchor part for wishbone front suspension so let me know if you want one for touring car arms. The ones on my Shapeways store are only for buggy arms. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Apart from being a fun project the main reason I did Ultra G is because I find the solid axle cars handling really annoying. I know plenty of people like the charm, but I like my buggies to handle at least vaguely adequately, but I love the GH2 shell. Ultra G actually handles really well. Moves so nicely on track. I say give it a go and do a build thread. I can really easily modify the anchor part for wishbone front suspension so let me know if you want one for touring car arms. The ones on my Shapeways store are only for buggy arms. 

Yeah, i know what you mean. I only bought it as i wanted one so bad when i was a kid. Cant believe ive owned sooo many tamiya since but never a grasshopper. Thats why i am toying with keeping it stock, but i know what im like, i cant leave anything alone! 

Ill build it stock so i can see what im working with then go through my spares and see if any ideas spring up. I may well be in touch about your front arm mount. 

I put the fx10 crp parts on my lunchbox so if i go double arm on this ill do it your way rather than treading the same ground twice.

Didnt someone design brackets to mount arms to the stock gearbox? Was it ampro?

• Like 1

I'm planning an independent rear trailing arm Grasshopper.  I always thought the buggy should have this setup anyway, it is shown on the box art!

8 hours ago, LongRat said:

I'm planning an independent rear trailing arm Grasshopper.  I always thought the buggy should have this setup anyway, it is shown on the box art!

Thats a good idea. I did think yesterday if i hadn't sold my falcon gearbox/rear arms i could have looked into that.

Hmmm, scale, box art grasshopper rear end.....

Edit, or something along the design of the egress etc back end.

9 hours ago, graemevw said:

Yeah, i know what you mean. I only bought it as i wanted one so bad when i was a kid. Cant believe ive owned sooo many tamiya since but never a grasshopper. Thats why i am toying with keeping it stock, but i know what im like, i cant leave anything alone! 

Ill build it stock so i can see what im working with then go through my spares and see if any ideas spring up. I may well be in touch about your front arm mount. 

I put the fx10 crp parts on my lunchbox so if i go double arm on this ill do it your way rather than treading the same ground twice.

Didnt someone design brackets to mount arms to the stock gearbox? Was it ampro?

Nice one. I would suggest using the DT03 arms version. The Ultra G one doesn't work as well but I like having matching blue arms with the Thundershot rear suspension. AMPRO does those brackets and lots more besides, but the arms and uprights are pricey being 3d printed and not as tough as abs. I would be tempted to get the brackets and shock mounts and see what tamiya arms you can mount. 

It's the Omega suspension on AMPRO. 

That conversion above uses DT03 arms front and rear, but those are TRF201 uprights and steering arms. I am guessing the rear hubs are DT03 though. I bet that drives brilliantly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Nice one. I would suggest using the DT03 arms version. The Ultra G one doesn't work as well but I like having matching blue arms with the Thundershot rear suspension. AMPRO does those brackets and lots more besides, but the arms and uprights are pricey being 3d printed and not as tough as abs. I would be tempted to get the brackets and shock mounts and see what tamiya arms you can mount. 

It's the Omega suspension on AMPRO. 

That conversion above uses DT03 arms front and rear, but those are TRF201 uprights and steering arms. I am guessing the rear hubs are DT03 though. I bet that drives brilliantly. 

Thunder, when you say the conversion above, are you referring to the photos that I linked from the Japanese page? 

44 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Thunder, when you say the conversion above, are you referring to the photos that I linked from the Japanese page? 

No, I am talking about the conversion part I have on sale on my Shapeways store. Its a 3D printed version of the central carbon plate on the Japanese one. I did one that uses all dt02/3 front end parts which works best. There's another version for Thundershot arms I did for Ultra G to match the arms but it's not as good suspension. Not bad, but not as good. 

32 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

No, I am talking about the conversion part I have on sale on my Shapeways store. Its a 3D printed version of the central carbon plate on the Japanese one. I did one that uses all dt02/3 front end parts which works best. There's another version for Thundershot arms I did for Ultra G to match the arms but it's not as good suspension. Not bad, but not as good. 

I think he was referring to this paragraph of yours...

That conversion above uses DT03 arms front and rear, but those are TRF201 uprights and steering arms. I am guessing the rear hubs are DT03 though. I bet that drives brilliantly. 

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, I am referring to the second conversion shown. With the black wheels. 

Those extra photos of the inside are amazing. That linkage steering is fantastic. I shall almost certainly be seeing if I can steal the idea from that. I have wanted to put linkage steering on ultra G for ages. 

Looks like one of these may be next on the list. After the Dynahead, and bruiser clone gets tuned up.

Awhile ago I found a black edition hopper body and decal set. If I could come across some of the neon green wheels I'd be all set to move ahead.

30 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Looks like one of these may be next on the list. After the Dynahead, and bruiser clone gets tuned up.

Awhile ago I found a black edition hopper body and decal set. If I could come across some of the neon green wheels I'd be all set to move ahead.

I never liked the black edition when it came out, i do now though, and now its unavailable :(

still, hoppers 'should' be white :)

you may be interested to know 'box' have 2 hoppers left at 49.99 with esc! £3 postage too.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

UltraGRHR3

That, sir, is one mean, agressive stance for a humble GH2. You can actually see the handling improvement in the picture :D

• Thanks 1