Sign in to follow this  
GreatDogOfTheNorth

TB04 Brushless recommendations

Hi all,

I’m new here and seeking recommendations for brushless motors and esc. Building a LaFerrari TB04. While the manual shows a brushless motor, it doesn’t suggest one.

I have a couple build videos on my YouTube channel GreatDogOfTheNorth.

If your going to use the included tble02s anything 13.5t will be good and gear the car accordingly. 

If you want to go faster than that, you’ll need a 120a esc and whatever motor you like to try. 

Juls

Juls is right - 13.5T is usually a good allround motor. If you get the TBLE-02S then buy a 13.5T motor and run it.

If you don't get the TBLE-02S in the kit and need to buy a combo then you can get pretty much anything as the TB04 should allow just about any gear ratio. Make sure you buy a sensored setup, sensorless are cheap but aren't as smooth.

If you gear properly for the motor you choose there wont be a huge difference in speed between a 21.5T and 8.5T. Lower turn motors are faster but the difference isn't as much as you'd expect. If you think you might go racing then check what your local club runs and buy a combo which fits the clubs classes.

Its a shame Speed Passion have died, their ESC/motor combos were great value for money. The motors are slow now for racing but still are great motors for bashing. Trackstar have cheap and cheerful combos, have a look at Hobbyking. I've just ordered a SkyRC TS120 for my 2wd buggy, a lot of people swear by them. They are USD68 at rcmart with free shipping atm, its not a combo but you dont need to match motor and ESC brand, just pick a motor within spec

I use a Speed Passion 13.5t MMM motor and Quikrun 10BL60 ESC in my TB-03, and it works very nicely. The motor isn't quite as fast as a top-of-the-line race motor but the difference is minimal once you adjust the timing, and it is both reliable and affordable. The built-in bullet system on the back of the endbell also makes mounting easier as you don't have any tabs sticking out of the side of the motor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Juls is right - 13.5T is usually a good allround motor. If you get the TBLE-02S then buy a 13.5T motor and run it.

If you don't get the TBLE-02S in the kit and need to buy a combo then you can get pretty much anything as the TB04 should allow just about any gear ratio. Make sure you buy a sensored setup, sensorless are cheap but aren't as smooth.

If you gear properly for the motor you choose there wont be a huge difference in speed between a 21.5T and 8.5T. Lower turn motors are faster but the difference isn't as much as you'd expect. If you think you might go racing then check what your local club runs and buy a combo which fits the clubs classes.

Its a shame Speed Passion have died, their ESC/motor combos were great value for money. The motors are slow now for racing but still are great motors for bashing. Trackstar have cheap and cheerful combos, have a look at Hobbyking. I've just ordered a SkyRC TS120 for my 2wd buggy, a lot of people swear by them. They are USD68 at rcmart with free shipping atm, its not a combo but you dont need to match motor and ESC brand, just pick a motor within spec

Could become limited, the gearing. My friend used a 64P 80T spur and a 45T 64P pinion. Something like this. Basically there is the motor spacer that is limiting the pinion size above 45T in 64P and spur cover.

but that would be only a problem if you would like a FDR lower then 4.0

dont use both spacers like my friend did on his, with a bushless motor and both spacers it will eat some gears for sure in time.

I like to use Trackstar motors and hobbyking X Car 120A esc.

I have a trackstar 4.5T motor with the 120A X Car esc and it works well. 

Trackstar motors are in general less powerfull regarding kV, so a 10,5 trackstar would equal a speed passion 13,5 in kV

• Like 1