Peter_B

Motor to make a King Yellow jump?

My lad had his first run with his King Yellow today. He loved it but did express some disappointment that it was a bit slower than his Mad Bull and so wouldn't jump (Mad Bull doesn't either).

It's currently built box stock, with the addition of bearings and a Quicrun 1060 ESC. So it's a silver can with the kit 18t pinion and running NiMH batteries.

He is only 5 so I don't want to go too insane with speed. Likewise I don't want to be putting lipos in it.

So what is the way to go in order to gain a bit more speed and grab some air?

I've got a couple of 17.5T brushless motors kicking about, but not sure if that would be enough oomph.

Obviously I'd have to swap the ESC to go brushless. Or I could stick with the 1060 and put a hotter brushed motor in it, but what one?

The Sport Tuned can give you a mild improvement.  

King Yellow being heavy and 6x6, the silver can suffers.  But with the Sport Tuned, I would suspect it's going to perform similar to a 4x4 truck with a silver can.  

Off the top of my head, 13.5t would be similar to Sport Tuned in RPM.  So, I'm afraid 17.5t won't be much of an improvement.  Maybe a sensorless motor of about 3300kv would be a better choice?  Since those things tend to come with 60A ESC, 3000 to 3300kv would be the maximum it could handle effectively.  (In comprison, Tamiya 13.5t is rated for 2800kv)  So, a cheap sensorless combo may give you the oomph your son wants.  Lipo helps too. 

Since he's 5, maybe just a Sport Tuned might be a better way than something faster?  

I tried my Konghead on a 17.5t and it was an improvement over the Torque Tuned motor I was running, so it would give you a boost over your current silver can. In the end I went to a 13.5t to get a bit more speed. I would try one of the 17.5's you have and see how it goes.

• Like 1

A sport tuned and a 20t steel pinion gives them a reasonable increase in speed.

This is the first upgrade I did with mine (after the obligatory bearings).

Mine now has a 4000kv on 3s though. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I am running my king yellow with a Conrad on 19000 rpm and an 18T I reckon with the right bump it can make some air. But I think it's a bit fast on cornering.

• Like 1

I run my Konghead with a 10.5 and 2S LiPo. It's probably a little speedy for a five year old, although I'd consider it to be about right for the chassis. It's fast enough to be challenging to drive,handles small jumps, and is hilarious to watch, especially with four wheel steering on. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 9:04 AM, Super Clodbuster Junkie said:

I know you said you didn't want serious modding, but this could be for some inspiration. Leave blank to use URL :-) He's got it on 2s with a 3900kv motor, I think.

Dynahead has almost 2:1 reduction in the portal gear, so I'd imagine if you use the same setup on King Yellow, it'd be twice as fast.  Which would be as fast as Big Jon's, but a tad too fast for a 5 year old.  Getting a brushless and limiting it to 50% would be a good adult/child compromise.  As he grows up, he can unleash more power.  

@Peter_B hope your well mate 

Tamiya Super Stock BZ or TZ with 2s lipo or silvercans with 3s lipo (still in spec on the 1060)

Out performs many if not all cheaper lower turn (non brushless) motors these days. 

Most non brushless lower sub 19T motors won't have the torque for one of these and are geared for touring cars anyway.

All the money is in brushless outside of Tamiya brands now so what can seem a bargain or potential hike in performance won't be . 

27 minutes ago, Prescient said:

@Peter_B hope your well mate 

Tamiya Super Stock BZ or TZ with 2s lipo or silvercans with 3s lipo (still in spec on the 1060)

Out performs many if not all cheaper lower turn (non brushless) motors these days. 

Most non brushless lower sub 19T motors won't have the torque for one of these and are geared for touring cars anyway.

All the money is in brushless outside of Tamiya brands now so what can seem a bargain or potential hike in performance won't be . 

Hello mate, I'm good thanks. Hope everything is ok with you too mate.

I did consider a BZ as I've seen quite a few mentions of them in here, but having no experience of them I didn't know how suitable they'd be.

I've got a few brushless motors on hand - from 17.5T to 6.5T (that would be a bit much I think) so I might order a 20t pinion and do some experiments before investing in a BZ (have a spare TBLE-02S I can test with in place of the 1060).

• Thanks 1

Depending on esc timing options and battery a BZ always felt like about a 10.5T brushless to me. Think they were circa 3600KV equivalent. 

The Tamiya 02s ESC seemed to run a really low punch with no advance timing so always feel slower than more tunable brushless ESCs. 

For comparisons sake ona DynaHead not a King Yellow, but today changed the silver can w/18T pinion to a 2100kv brushless on a 6 cell NiMh, felt only slightly faster but a lot more torque. 

Hi

I'm hoping when I fit my tblm-02s 10.5t that will make it a good jumper