^Smith^

Which ESC???

Good Day, All

Still a newbie, but finished a Rally Beetle recently (body incomplete)...I just picked up a Hot Shot and realized that there's no ESC included with the kit. Can I assume that the Mabuchi RS540SH motor, included in the kit is NOT brushless....

Any recommendations for an ESC...I guess a Tamiya ESC would be okay.

Thank you for looking

Many people on here swear by the Hobbywing 1060 ESC for brushed motors. They are relatively cheap and work well and will run low turn brushed motors.

I prefer the Tamiya TBLE-02S in my bashers as I like being able to run the stock brushed motor and have the option to switch to brushless. I don't buy faster brushed motors but have a selection of brushless motors which I can swap in.

If you want a TBLE-02S then check ebay. I find the uk sellers will usually ship worldwide for free and they sell them much cheaper than RRP

• Like 1

I second Jonathon.  Both Quickrun 1060 and Tamiya TBLE02S are inexpensive and work well.  

TBLE02S can handle both brushed and brushless motor.  When using a brushed motor, you only use blue and yellow wires, as you have done for your Rally Beetle.  I stick a cotton swab in the remaining orange plug.  Otherwise, it becomes all cruddy over time.  You may have a hard time using that when you decide to go brushless later.  I also tape up the sensor plug contact pins for the same reason.   

Tcl792B.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, Jug,,,That's exactly what I did, capped off the orange

Thanks again

• Like 1

Tamiya ESCs run fine with lipo, they just don't have a low voltage cutoff.

I really like Hobbywing 1080 ESCs. They are more adjustable than the 1060, way better looking, come with a program card, and can handle quite a bit of motor. They're cheap, too, although a few bucks more than the 1060. 

With the Tamiya ESC, I open the case, desolder the orange wire, remove the switch and solder in a shorting bar. Really cleans up the appearance. I only use them with silver cans or Torque Tuned motors, because it gets really hot in Texas!

Long story short, I'd use a 1080 in the Hotshot with a GT Tuned or BZ.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, Big Jon said:

They're cheap, too, although a few bucks more than the 1060.

Where are you getting the from? The only ones I'm seeing are more than double the price of a 1060!