Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Kingcab Build

Good Morning all,

As I was going through my spare parts looking for Astute pieces I realized that I had nearly enough parts to build (2) kingcab/Monster racers minus the chassis!  I still have my Monster racer from when I was a kid, now with a stealth transmission. I scored a chassis on ebay last week after I missed a bargain roller auction a few minutes prior. This will be as stock as possible including the ball differential whose weakness is WAY blown out of proportion. Ill be using hex screws where I can and some AMPRO parts too because this will primarily be driven by my son. The chassis is in the mail and will be here this afternoon. Initial picks when it arrives.  Ive wanted a kingcab since I read this review two decades ago.

hvb952.jpg

• Like 4

Well the chassis came damaged because the genius shipped it in bubble wrap. More in a little bit. Going to boil it, clean it, and see if some good epoxy can recover it. 

Im really bummed, I wasnt expecting perfect for the price but this crack, yikes.  Im going to try and epoxy it so I can get this built and running.  Wont be surprised if it brakes in half. Negative feed back to the seller and claim to ebay sent.

From here it looks hopeful.

j5h8qq.jpg

Crack kills!

3582x52.jpg

How the heck????

zt6mv4.jpg

Well the chassis is worse then it looks in pictures.  Not going to be ale to save it :(

Anyone got a spare kingcab chassis to sell???

This stinks!

Not as expensive as a sealed original though?

That is shocking though. Did the previous owner use it as a chisel and hammer?

Hope you get your money back.

Lee

The seller isn’t backing his product and neither is eBay. On to PayPal. The dude shipped the thing in bubble wrap, that’s it!

This project is on hold until I source a chassis. I’m going to attempt to sell a few spares to fund the build(s). What stinks is I have EVERYTHING for the king cab minus the chassis and body. The Astute needs shocks, tires, bearing, and few odds and ends. Oh well you lose some and you win some. 

4 hours ago, GTodd said:

The seller isn’t backing his product and neither is eBay. On to PayPal. The dude shipped the thing in bubble wrap, that’s it!

This project is on hold until I source a chassis. I’m going to attempt to sell a few spares to fund the build(s). What stinks is I have EVERYTHING for the king cab minus the chassis and body. The Astute needs shocks, tires, bearing, and few odds and ends. Oh well you lose some and you win some. 

Might be able to help with a few Astute bits. Do have the grey CVA dampers, maybe some other bits and bobs from the rere. Have to have a look at what you need.

Lee

Have you thought about plastic welding it back up? I reckon that could get it back to almost as good as new

• Like 1

What is the chassis made of? If it is just abs and not  a glass reinforced resin of some sort there is the possibility of repair. Regular abs solvent welds very well with the Plastruct (spelling?) brand of cement. Once the crack is back together , reinforcement with styrene will give it a fighting chance.  

On 2/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, GTodd said:

Thanks for all the tips, suggestions, And offers for help. I'm going to take this chassis and put it away for now. Maybe I'll make a shelter out of it. Once I find another chassis I'll start the build .

I just won an auction for a complete KIng Cab chassis for a ridiculous cheap price!!!! This thread is closed! Ill start a new one for the restoration. Fingers crossed this one is better than the last!

• Like 3