Sign in to follow this  
kitefighter

Out of control controller

Hello

I am using Absima CR3P controller and receiver. All of a sudden, the controller is sending a signal to the receiver to go forward, then max speed, then backwards. I'm not touching the trigger and its not a trim problem. 

Any ideas how to fix? Never had this problem before and the system is still under warranty.

Did you calibrate the ESC and the radio gear? I've never had a problem with a TBLE-02S doing that but every other ESC I've used needed calibrating.

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Did you calibrate the ESC and the radio gear? I've never had a problem with a TBLE-02S doing that but every other ESC I've used needed calibrating.

I didn't need to calibrate as I installed it last year without any problems. Everything has been fine, including from the weekend test run on a carpet. All I did today was to clean up the model ready for it's next trial, and it was whilst testing the model on the table that something has gone wrong. It must be the controller because if I turn the model on and not the controller, everything is normal. But when I now turn it on, it's as if the Speed Controller is getting a signal to perform some rapid test. The car will crash if I don't fix this.

26 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

What car is it in? That's how the lunchbox is supposed to drive. Lol

It's in a Tamiya M-07 chassis with a HPI Datsun 510 bodyshell.

6 hours ago, kitefighter said:

I didn't need to calibrate as I installed it last year without any problems. Everything has been fine, including from the weekend test run on a carpet. All I did today was to clean up the model ready for it's next trial, and it was whilst testing the model on the table that something has gone wrong. It must be the controller because if I turn the model on and not the controller, everything is normal. But when I now turn it on, it's as if the Speed Controller is getting a signal to perform some rapid test. The car will crash if I don't fix this.

What ESC is it? I have had to recalibrate an ESC before, just started doing random things by itself. This was in offroad cars and I put it down to knocks from the jumps.

Otherwise no idea

Is the problem just affecting the ESC, or is the steering servo twitching as well?

If you swap the ESC and servo leads at the receiver, does the ESC continue to misbehave or does the ESC settle down and the servo start twitching?

When you say you cleaned the car - did you use water, and could any have got into the receiver?  Did you unplug the servo leads when you cleaned it and if so have they gone back in the right sockets and the right way around?

Is the receiver antenna cut, split or touching anything metal, or close to the battery or motor leads?  Are any other leads cut, kinked or snagged?

Is the transmitter battery fully charged?

You could try re-binding the transmitter to the receiver, and going through the ESC calibration steps again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What ESC is it? I have had to recalibrate an ESC before, just started doing random things by itself. This was in offroad cars and I put it down to knocks from the jumps.

Otherwise no idea

Hello,

The ESC is a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 Brushed Waterproof.

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Is the problem just affecting the ESC, or is the steering servo twitching as well?

If you swap the ESC and servo leads at the receiver, does the ESC continue to misbehave or does the ESC settle down and the servo start twitching?

When you say you cleaned the car - did you use water, and could any have got into the receiver?  Did you unplug the servo leads when you cleaned it and if so have they gone back in the right sockets and the right way around?

Is the receiver antenna cut, split or touching anything metal, or close to the battery or motor leads?  Are any other leads cut, kinked or snagged?

Is the transmitter battery fully charged?

You could try re-binding the transmitter to the receiver, and going through the ESC calibration steps again.

Thanks for your help here. I didn't notice the steering servo twitching.

Haven't tried swapping the ESC and servo leads but will try and see what happens.

I used a dry cloth to clean carpet dust on the body. Didn't touch the electrics. I did un plug the battery leads to re-route but will check I didn't reconnect back to front. (I'm sure I didn't because I checked beforehand).

*Antenna lead! I have attached the battery leads to the same post as the antenna so maybe this is the problem! I will change back and see what happens.*

Transmitter has recently new batteries but will change.

If all else fails, will rebind.

I think it has to be the antenna lead and battery lead being in close proximity because that's the one thing I changed yesterday. Thanks again for your help good sir. (or madam).

• Like 1

Antenna lead could be the problem if it's getting interference from the battery cables - let us know how you get on :)

5 hours ago, kitefighter said:

Hello,

The ESC is a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 Brushed Waterproof.

Sounds like the receiver or transmitter has got wet and / or is malfunctioning, most likely the receiver. 

Have you got any others you can swap it to?

Probably worth trying a spare esc too just to rule it out but they are pretty robust

Thank you very much Mad Ax. I've re-routed the power cables back to how it was before, away from the ESC and it's working properly!

A case of reading the manual and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

• Like 1

Awesome.  That's a gorgeous body too, I may just have to get one of those...

Perfectly acceptable use of the office, done it many time me self before everyone arrives at work, carry on.