HopperLeo

Frog Battery Cable and Connector

Hello everyone, first time poster here :) Also new to the hobby. I grew up in the 80s in the UK and longed for a car of my own, but it wasn't to be. Until now that is. I just bought a Grasshopper XB, and am proud to have worked out how to install a Sport motor. That motor makes all the difference, turning a quaint beginners car into something with quite a bit of punch! Of course, having taken it to the park a couple of times with my 6 y/o boy, we both agreed that we need to get another car so we can race. So, I accidentally hit the 'pay now' button on a shiny new Frog XB. Just love the looks. It completely encapsulates the 80s, right down to the flash of pink. 

Anyway, a quick passing question for all you veterans in the know; I noticed as I installed the battery that the cable and connector sort of hangs out the right side of the car (see photo) with seemingly no obvious place for it to be tucked away. For such an otherwise aesthetically pleasing car, its oddly disturbing me. Should I tape it to the side? Has anyone a workaround, or am I just being precious and will I not even notice it after a bit? Shouldn't the connector be a bit more protected? By contrast, the Grasshopper battery cable and connector, due to the orientation, is completely hidden inside the car. 

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom :)    

Frog.jpg

• Like 1

@HopperLeo  Hi. There is enough space where the battery goes to tuck the cable and plug alongside it and up into the chassis. I put my battery cable like this in my Subaru Brat, which uses the same chassis as your Frog. It's all safety out the way from the outside :D

20190227-142929.jpg

20190227-143204.jpg

20190227-143242.jpg

20190227-144938.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the help! Nice ride you have there :)

I'm guessing that your battery cable is longer than my Tamiya one which came in the box? I can't get it to tuck into the chassis like you. The cable is about 1 cm too short (approx. 5.6 cm).

A little bit more length would allow the plug to slot nicely through that space between the battery and the lid that holds the battery down tight. 

Maybe I need to get a new battery with a longer cable? Any recommendations?

Cheers :)

Frog Underside.jpg

Ok, I just tried running the cable along the other side of the battery and tucking it down into the chassis...and it fits! Sorry for bothering you with what was clearly a very newbie stumbling block :wacko: 

A bit more of a fiddle than the Grasshopper, but now that I know how it goes, all is good!

Cheers :) 

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

• Like 4

@HopperLeo You're very welcome my friend. I'm pleased you got it sorted. You may want to put some tape around the cable, or something in between where it goes under

the metal bracket though. If the battery took a knock from underneath it could possibly push the cable up and cause it to be damaged or cut by the bracket.

The cable on mine is 8.5cm from the battery to the plug. You should try doing the same with a Hotshot. It's a nightmare.

I still haven't sussed that out after 2 years of owning one. Like you, I find these things irritating as well  :D 

• Thanks 1