Sign in to follow this  
Racing Master

Greatest runner ever

I have run quite a lot of vintage Tamiya cars. A while ago, I bought a Porsche 959 which I intented to use as a runner. The body was in pretty bad condition, but mechanically sound.

I put a modern speedo in it and used my KO propo radio to steer the car. Last night, fellow TC member Bibbo and I tested the car, and we both had a grin till under our ears on our face. This car is so much fun to drive, it really makes you happy!

It was even more fun than my 12V Audi Quattro (of which the motor only lasted two packs!).

My choice for the greatest runner ever goes to the Porsche 959. What are your thoughts on this?

the greatest runner ever has to be all those hornets and grasshoppers that got so many people into this hobby and took so much abuse in the 80s

These cars were all nice cars, but the handling wasn't so great I think. the 959 really handles well and is quite fast too. That's why it's my runner favourite.

out of my favorites, ive narrowed it down to either the clod buster, the monster beetle or the midnight pumpkin.

the clod buster is fun to drive, but its best when its on really rough ground - deep mud or sand or something. on tarmac it gets a bit boring...

the monster beetle is also a great runner. ive only had mine running properly for about a month now (i got it about 5 years ago!) so i guess its the novelty of seeing it running so well thats making it fun to drive! [:P]

my midnight pumpkins been fun right from the start [8D] always a blast to drive, and insane handling always puts a grin on my face!!

so for me its the pumpkin - a "must have" runner! [8D]

In terms of "old school runners" my favourites must be the SRB series, as they are just plain fun to drive, and it really takes one back in time, with the continous adjusting, re-tightening and so on. Also a Mountaineer is a great runner. In terms of newer cars, the TXT and the XC chassis cars are my clear favourites when it comes to off-roading, in Tamiyacars this is. Otherwise i think my B4 is outstanding . For flat-out carpetracing, i prefer my TRF 415 and my ***. TC3... I still have a very clear goal, being to get my hands on a Frog once again, as this was the car that started my RC-"career" back in 1986.. It will happen someday, i am just waiting for the right Frog to come along, as i would like to have it in the same colours as back then, being the boxart scheme..

Cheers.

Michael

my vote goes to The Fox

First car i had, and have so many good memories of it with my mates Frog

Great car and so much fun !

Glad I have 3 again now ;)

Chris

Well the 959 is a fine car and if you look at my video http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=747&uid=8757you can see why. But I think the Celica GR.B is even better. The handling of the car, thanks to the very minor changes to the 959 make this car even better. I think certainly this chassis is the best Tamiya ever invented, so for me it's the Celica Gr.B

my favourite runners are:

For sand or water a SRB.

For slow realistic off road driving, Bruiser/Mounty or Hilux/Blazer with some improvments (softer suspension, BB tires)

For nice rally drifts 959 as I haven't run my Celica yet

[:I]

For fast EP off road the Dyna Storm.

For fast GP off road the TNX.

For fun group races, the WW1 and 2.

For on road fun am not sure, a neutrally balanced 4WD tourer, or a FWD with throttle lift of oversteer, or a drift car?

Cheers

He Racingmaster,

The Celica drives super both because of the mid 'differential' - which is more a limited slip fixed shaft - as the torsion stabilizer, which you can also mount on the porsche 959. But what I experience is that both cars are very good tuneable by changing the stiffness of the suspension. I like a very weak suspention on the front wheel and a medium one on the rear.

I love those cars!!! [:D]

quote:Originally posted by Racing Master

How does the Celica handle with the the middle differential? Is it less twitchy to drive?

id="quote">id="quote">

David you not remember driving my Celica round Tamiya Clubs first Snetterton meet? Putting a lovely dent in the roof?

The greatest runner has to be the hotshot or frog.

Hello Biggus,

Yep, I remember that! [:I] I was really quite amazed of the speed of the cars in Snetterton. Because of their smaller size, they seem a lot faster than the 1/10th scale cars.

Max, thanks for the tip!

Do you use M chassis tyres on your porsche? I've heard they might fit on these cars.

Hey RacingMaster,

I mainly drive on gravel with these cars which extremly great fun so I use the rally tires of those models. I think M tires might fit, but I'm not really sure.

Max

King Cab.

Contrary to most KC/Hi-Lux users, I've never had any trouble with the diff on this car.

On pavement or dirt its incredibly tough, fun and fast.

The Dynastorm comes second in my book, only because it so easy to drive. Its a point-and-click affair.

One of my favorites is the Celica (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=64). reason, I had the honour to drive it in 1990, always wanted to own one and it drove beautifull with its 3rd diff.. If they want to re-release a model, this should be the one. Technical challenging, original construction, fun to drive and vintage!!