Carts

Tamiya m01

Hi guys,i got myself a Tamiya m01. Is there a known issue with the steering being hard to get the car to go straight? When I accelerate my front wheels go inwards. Like there are loose and the part the steering rod snaps onto seems awfully sloppy. Like it needs tightening up. Check all screws etc and the servo and I can’t get it any better . Advice needed 

All of mine have been pretty similar to yours. It’s not the greatest setup that’s for sure. I know there’s aluminium steering hop up parts available which may improve things but I’ve never used them myself. 

• Like 1

Hi,

the aluminum steering wasn´t far better either. I improved my steering on my beloved M02 with using an Avante ball race steering set. You have to cut the Posts on the gearbox, drill screw holes for the adapting plate. the plate got countersunk screws from below to take the Lever arms, which are secured by a nut from above. Did a new centre plate, too, with tie rod links connected in the middle section. Hope the pics tell the principle. Works like a charm, but is a little work. With the rerelease of this steering set, you don´t have to steal from this precious buggies anymore, and it should be cheaper than vintage 3rd company hop-ups, that Maybe are not as solid.

Still a nice M-Chassis, and the beginning of it all.:wub:

P1100384.JPG

P1100386.JPG

• Like 3

Unless you are going for the hard-core mod option as above, it its possibly best to simply set the front wheels with sufficient toe out when at rest to give them a smidgen of toe out when pulled forwards under acceleration. This should help with keeping it straight. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Unless you are going for the hard-core mod option as above, it its possibly best to simply set the front wheels with sufficient toe out when at rest to give them a smidgen of toe out when pulled forwards under acceleration. This should help with keeping it straight. 

So have the front wheels very slightly pointing out wards? Will try it at the weekend. Are the gearbox parts the same as m03?

That is correct. With the wheels pointing slightly outwards, the car will have a tendency to self correct if it goes to one side down the straight. Not sure about the gearbox question though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

M03 gearset is P/N 50794, M01 gearset is P/N 50731

Just checked some spare parts, guess it´s a typing error: should be 50631. 50731 is the Opel Calibra body set. 

I think the middle gears are different. Diff itself is interchangeable, Pinions are the same. (I have a Manta Ray diff in mine, so this I remember well).

Quite hard nowadyas to get parts for the M01/02...

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Just checked some spare parts, guess it´s a typing error: should be 50631. 50731 is the Opel Calibra body set. 

I think the middle gears are different. Diff itself is interchangeable, Pinions are the same. (I have a Manta Ray diff in mine, so this I remember well).

Indeed, fat fingers...:lol:

Parts are like gold dust these days.

• Like 1

From memory the M01 uses a simple bent bar to link the central steering turrets. One of the simplest mods to remove any slack was to replace this with 5mm ball connectors & a pair of track rod ends with threaded rod joining them, it cost less than a tenner for all the parts and made a significant improvement over the amount of play in the steering - which in turn affected the tracking.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, ruebiracer said:

I just recently picked up a lovely M01 in great shape and have started learning all about the chassis. I have the sloppy steering issues and mind-of-its-own tracking, but also have the differential slipping terribly. Other than those two issues, she's a hoot to drive!

I too noticed that M01 parts availability is next to nil nowadays. Finding a bodyset is impossible :wacko: