Sign in to follow this  
Uranium

this interesting body post location...

i'm sorry that this isn't directly tamiya related, but i thought it was interesting nonetheless.

i was watching some old DTM/ITC races from 1996 and at one point the broadcast showed an RC calibra with body posts on where the bumper would be:Screenshot_20190227-215806_YouTube.thumb.jpg.fd4984156c53538abc963766bf379727.jpg

i thought it was really interesting, and a bit thought provoking. how come that location isn't so common to do? i mean, it would probably help with aerodynamics (you can laugh if that sounded stupid) since air isn't just hitting two tall poles that stick out of nowhere and overall just looks more beneficial in aero. maybe it would just be fragile in the case of a crash? i also noticed that there are body pins on the side...and for the rear of the car it's just conventional mounting (comes out through the top).

what do you think of this? personally i think it should be more common since...aero. but maybe theres a reason why they don't do it.

• Like 1

that position is much nicer and makes sense to me, but I can imagine it would be vulnerable to damage from front impacts.

• Like 2

It’d be fine till you hit the wall and busted the mounts, then your body is dragging on the ground trying to fold itself under the front of the car. 

I also question the adjustability and also the body mounts ability to hold the weight of the body up and not flex up and down over every bump. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I also question the adjustability and also the body mounts ability to hold the weight of the body up and not flex up and down over every bump. 

i mean, 1996 was quite different for RC's...i think, at least. maybe the way its designed the body won't be so heavy on the posts? if i do some research maybe i can find how exactly they did it. what i'm guessing is that the mounts portrude out of a plastic bumper as short little nubs just long enough for the body to slide on and have the pins attached.

42 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

that position is much nicer and makes sense to me, but I can imagine it would be vulnerable to damage from front impacts.

it's certainly a lot nicer (aesthetically at least), but of course the risk of damage is high with it like that...

FG 1/5 bodies are mounted similar.

you have two body posto on each bottom side, lide a lunchbox, and on the tailgate there are 2 body mounts. Also two mention some have 1 body mount on the bonnet.

• Like 1

I've used side mounts on cars with varying degrees of success.  Firstly there's the mentioned issue of up-down adjustability - once you cut the post holes you can't change the shell height, so you have to make sure it's right first cut.

Secondly, if you have a narrow chassis, long posts will flex under the weight of the body.  Probably not an issue on a chassis like a TT01 but could be problematic for cars with narrow plate chassis.

Thirdly, as other say, they're more exposed to impact.

Personally for touring car racing I can't see the point - "every little helps" but at the speeds 1:10 goes I doubt there's much aero benefit.

It probably looks nicer on a scale build but these days we have magnetic mounts to deal with that :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

FG 1/5 bodies are mounted similar.

I think that car is a 1/5 Groeschl Calibra.........see the separately mounted front bumper/skirt

for 1/5 scale those posts are sturdy enough and the bodies are made of thicker lexan, but for 1/10 they would be to weak and prone to breaking and the thinner lexan of 1/10scale bodies wouldn't help either...

• Like 2

after seeing a.w.k.'s post i googled "groeschl rc" into google images and saw this.FG_Groeschl_New_Sportsline_2WD_RTR_Audi_A4_Albers_26_ccm_164147R-3.thumb.jpg.5890e9ad3a1369fbf613a7300a2a8aa0.jpg

so that's how the body is mounted. it seems really silly (to be really honest) that theres no protection behind the post things. no urethane or foam makes it seem like they can just snap right off the splitter from one impact.

i got a bit curious about the overall car. if you instantly know the scale by comparing it to the size of a decently large racing driver...take a gander. looks like 1/5 to me...Screenshot_20190228-171444_YouTube.thumb.jpg.3587d604729e7efc4fa84fc948ead0e6.jpg

• Like 1