NlGHTHAWK

What does everyone do with their vintage cars?

Hi everyone, 

As the title suggests, just wanted to start some discussion on whether people keep their vintage RCs on the shelf, or whether they run them. I’ve got a mint  58104 Mclaren MP4/6 and MP4/13, which are both shelf queens, but I’m tempted to bring them to the track to see what they can do. 

21 minutes ago, Static Age said:

They all live on the shelf but I try to run them all.

Same here. Once a year they get to stretch their legs and ALL OF THEM get run. Oddly enough, the only one that hasn't gotten any asphalt time is my restored Grasshopper. 

I like to display some at work. They get seen by a lot of people. It's great when a customer (usually in their 40's) sees them and has a bit of a moment haha. I've literally had guys stop mid sentence when they see them, eyes wide open. Some folks haven't seen or thought about Tamiya RC's for 30 some years. Makes for some great conversations. 

All my vintage stuff is original and pristine and I will keep them that way. I'll run my re-releases though!

Work Tamiya.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Mine sit on floor-to-ceiling shelves. If I am intrigued enough to see it run, I buy a re-release or rougher-condition duplicate. This way, I can run said vehicle care and guilt-free (but with respect). Its not using the models that's the problem. Its just, by nature, RC vehicles can get really messed up in a real hurry if one isn't careful (and sometimes even if one is exercising care) and that takes away from the fun for me. 

On the other hand, it awesome to walk into my hobby room and see the Tamiya catalogs I poured over in my youth come alive before my eyes.

• Like 1

I don't drive mine much these days, but that's because I don't drive any RC vehicles much these days except the occasional scaler. But I used to drive them all the time; in fact, I didn't consider a vintage car "finished" until I had taken action photos of it. If you've ever bought a car from me, it has had air under the tires at speed. (Yes, probably even the on-roaders...)

But then, none of mine are exactly pristine, or original; I'm kind of a resto-modder to some degree, and I can't leave things well enough alone. I understand the nostalgia thing, but my drug-of-choice when it comes to collector's items on a shelf is NIB 70's-80's static model car kits. I can appreciate the glass case full of pristine restored RC vehicles; I'm just not capable of it. :)

• Like 2

I don't, but only because I don't have the time to drive anything at the moment. I think of them like the 1:1 vintage counterparts, sure you can appreciate them on the shelf, but to truly enjoy a vintage car, you need to drive it :D  but with respect ;)  It also means I am not opposed to modifying them either.

• Like 1

I try to run them.   

Imagine people finding my RC cars, in 2086.  Blackfoot from 1986 would be a 100 year old antique, like porcelain dolls people bring to Antiques Road Show.  I doubt that an RC car with crumbling tires would be worth much.  Plus, what good would it be to me, after I'm gone?  (but seeing as how my grandma passed away at age 106, I might live to see 2086 -- my brain might be in a cyborg's head and flying to Mars then)

So, I'd run them, break them and fix them with re-re parts.  But I wish I could do what Steadyrides does, too.  If they bring back some good memories now, and start a good conversation going, that in and of itself is a good use.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have 1 vintage runner & 3 new built vintage shelfers. Another Frankenstein vintage with some rere parts currently being built which will (probably maybe) get run. I’ve really got to stop buying other people’s shelf queens & start buying new kits to build & run. 

• Haha 1

I don't buy minters, they all get least treated to a 1060 and 3s lipo.

• Haha 1

this..:lol:.as I have no spare shelf space....:rolleyes:..and they very rarely get run....:rolleyes:

20190222_225209

• Like 3

I restored my old trusted basher from my teenage years (Thundershot) and then added a modern ESC and a sport tuned motor with a modern NiMh battery and smashed it up I had to rebuild it again and again......so I learnt pretty quick that vintage stuff is NOT for proper bashing. So I started collecting the vintage stuff and display it in our diner/hallway. Its constantly evolving BUT the idea was to have all the 4WD from the Boomerang to the Fire Dragon as I started with a Boomerang and finished with a Thundershot with EVERY Terra Scorcher upgrade and a few of my own for good measure. I also had a Midnight Pumpkin so I needed a Lunchbox to keep it company. In a nod to 2WD I always loved the Madcap/Astute so when I found locally a MadCap I got one and somehow ended up with 3!!! so one is for converting to a Saint Dragon (part done at minute) and will likely sell the 3rd as to convert to an astute is not realistic. I think the Winger is cool and same for the SuperShot (added the body today and decals ordered from MCI as its a re-re being done as original) so added both.....IF i get a Hotshot and a HS2.... I would have all the 4wd covering the first 5 years.....then I would need an Avante.....where does it stop?

20190302_193225

• Like 4

Great thread !

What happens if you don’t use something ? 

Everything over here gets a work out but - like life - its more focussed with age :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

What happens if you don’t use something ?

...Your wife makes you sell it?

• Haha 4

I don't have any originals but treat my rere's like I would originals. They sit on a shelf in my office and are all set to go. They get a run every so often in my backyard and do get driven properly but with a bit more care than my modern stuff,  ie I turn the speed down depending on the driver, don't give them to my friends who are terrible drivers and don't bring them out when my sons friends are over. They still take the jumps and will race with whatever is out at the same time. My Boomerang has even seen some track time, just a little bit.

• Like 5

My vintage Marui cars are also on a shelf. And I still want to make some spacers to keep the tires off the surface and avoid flat spots.:lol:

They are all operational, so can be taken for a lazy drive if weather permits, but slow as I don't want to damage non-replacable parts. ^_^ 

• Like 3

I run mine, and run mine hard. Granted all of mine minus the Monster Racer have rere counter parts. 

• Like 1

Cabinet .

Box.

B3AC07E5-D160-4D20-B3F4-3165EB92580F.jpeg

170BB213-307A-450F-99C5-37F0A4E067B4.jpeg

26BFC42B-0DF5-44DA-A58F-523C31E1A0B2.jpeg

CAD331FA-59CD-4E7E-9C8C-52592B7A26A3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Like many on here, mine are run occasionally and gently, spending most of the time on shelf display. All are fitted with the basic runner mods such as bearings, steel pinions, ESCs, etc, but are otherwise stock.

• Like 2

Procrastinate and just generally dither at length about whether to build them or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont own anything vintage, but I like to consider my M05ver2 Abarth 1000TCR admirable, and I keep it on the shelf in never run condition, and will remain it that way, that is how I would like

to have a vintage, if ever, in never run to mild run condition. I try to run popular models on a ‘daily’ basis, like M03 or F103, Hopefully a FF03 joins the daily family.

sorry to jump in, but I consider my Xray T1FK05 from 2005 a retro, as the jump from a regular T1 or TC4 would be plastic tub to carbon change years. Regarding to some RC Magazins, this chassis was one of the first chassis with the popular design today. I run it only in prepared conditions and competition. It is still bashing all, but I like the feel of a older car competing with a newer Tamiya model, also the use of brushless technology in a NiMh generation car is interesting... 

that all sums up to, I would treat my Vintage cars like next,

1. The one I admire the most would be in new never run condition, with most if not all hop ups I can find on the shelf under a glass bell.

2.Another shelfer I get to run sometimes with similar cars

3. Several other cars I would bash, hop up, trade for other, sell, have fun with basically.

That keeps my sentimental values to cars in limits. 

All mine are vintage shelf queens, and i dont run any of them...

Having spent years finding the original parts to restore them, it would be a ****** to crash one and break or loose something small and hard to find....

The enjoyment for me is restoring and admiring them, and to this end, i am converting the loft of my house into a display room...