amyntas

BIGWIG Question

Dear friends. I have found a nib original 1986 kit of BIGWIG for 500 euros. Do you believe this is a good price?Thanks

Now that there is a rere, no I don't think so. It's a buyers market.

• Like 1

I got a new re-released kit for $143 USD in 2017.  So... I would never pay 500 euro.  But who knows, there might be somebody who wants the same exact thing from 33 years ago.    

10 hours ago, amyntas said:

Dear friends. I have found a nib original 1986 kit of BIGWIG for 500 euros. Do you believe this is a good price?Thanks

500 Euros is indeed a lot of money. BUT you have to keep in mind Tamiya got Takuya Yura to design the Big Wig to celebrate their 20th anniversary of making plastic models suitable for radio-control, so the car is not just any Tamiya car. The thing is in the same league of landmarks like the Bruiser, Sand Scorcher or the Avante. Not just any RC car, IMHO.

Do you have to have the original? There are plenty of rereleases available for a lot less. Personally an original isn't worth more than a rerelease to me so I would only pay the rerelease price.

Whether one appreciates vintage NIB's or not (that's a whole different argument!), in the current market, 500€ absolutely IS a good price for a vintage Bigwig NIB, assuming of course it's in good condition - box, interior, blisters etc.  Honestly prices are crazy at the moment and the Bigwig is a very sought after model as pointed out by mongoose1983.  I've been looking for a Bigwig for a while and haven't found anything at any price!  So amyntas if you decide not to go ahead with this purchase then please put me in touch :rolleyes: 

I second that. €500 for a BigWig is something I would readily accept.

Some just want the car and then it’s pointless to pay extra for vintage.

But some of us want the original, with the Technigold, mechanical speed controller etc.

If I had room for more kits, then a NIB BigWig plus perhaps a re-re for running would be high on my list. It probably is second only to the HotShot 2 in terms of NIBs still on my list. And that is just from personal preference.

There actually is a kit that is being sold on EBay for around 500 US.  It was pieced together with New Old stock parts.  Even the Rx-540 is NIB.  That guy did his due diligence making sure every piece was time period correct down to the screw packs.  Assuming you wanted one to put together.  No blister packs but still an original..

On 3/4/2019 at 8:58 AM, Hudson said:

Whether one appreciates vintage NIB's or not (that's a whole different argument!), in the current market, 500€ absolutely IS a good price for a vintage Bigwig NIB, assuming of course it's in good condition - box, interior, blisters etc.  Honestly prices are crazy at the moment and the Bigwig is a very sought after model as pointed out by mongoose1983.  I've been looking for a Bigwig for a while and haven't found anything at any price!  So amyntas if you decide not to go ahead with this purchase then please put me in touch :rolleyes: 

Dear friend, one Bigwig in nib condition is now being sold on ebay.co.uk  Have a look

Yes - I have my eye on it, will be interesting to see how high the bidding goes.  Thanks for the heads up.