GTodd

Super Clod or TXT2

Good afternoon all, price not an issue. I've wanted a clod since I was a kid. However you can't ignore the tech of the TXT2, but the clod has it all over the TXT2 in looks. So what would you recommend money not an issue?

The only obvious solution is both. I can't add anything further as I have neither and know nothing about them. But do know that when you ask this question its inevitable that you'll end up with both.

• Haha 1

I say txt 2, i love mine but then you think about all  the options available for the clod it does make you think. A stock clod is a bouncing/lumbering pig. I had friends who had them years ago. 

• Like 1

Depends on what you want it for.   Neither is a high-performance option.  Both have their good points.

Clod is bouncing silly fun with great nostalgic looks and the TXT-2 is a wonder to build but under-performing still.    I have both (and a TXT-1) and love them all.  

My E-Maxx will run rings around all of them but doesn't seem like a real Monster Truck to me, not even close.  The Stampede is an absolute blast to drive, but even that doesn't have the solid axle Monster Truck vibe - although the classic Bigfoot definitely has the look.

So, probably not helpful, but only you will know what you expect out of the purchase.   

Solid advice is to buy them both.  (Yes, we are shameless enablers here.   Sorry, not sorry, LOL) 

• Haha 1

Why not get the TXT2 and mount the Clod body? 

Kit breakers sell the body for about $120?  Keep the Clod body as a shelfer and run the lexan body.   

• Like 2

Txt2 if you want 'performance'.

I sold my txt-1 (to a forum member), I could never sell my original Clod though.

The TXT chassis is great out of the box with a few mods.. 

Most lose the nostalgia and charm of an 80's clod and expect more from it than what it is. There is nothing wrong with that, and that is why there is such huge aftermarket support for it. But appreciating it for what it is, a bonafide 80's monster truck, sometimes disappoints people. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GTodd said:

Good afternoon all, price not an issue. I've wanted a clod since I was a kid. However you can't ignore the tech of the TXT2, but the clod has it all over the TXT2 in looks. So what would you recommend money not an issue?

Having owned several of all the Tamiya monster trucks over the years, the TXT-2 is both unparalleled awesomeness and will still leave you cold. With a 4000kv+ brushless in and the other motor hole capped off it's quick enough but not that fast. It's not an ideal design/weight for jumping etc etc.

It has perfect modern scale looks with a few tweaks to the body though. J Concepts also do some great 80s Ford/Chevy monster truck bodies which fit.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/81109-does-it-come-in-black-txt-2-related-content/&tab=comments#comment-648809

The Super Clod has that phenomenal 80s classic monster truck bouncy goodness. 3s lipo, HW 1060 and the standard silver can motors is the perfect combo and gets you c15mph which is all the chassis can really handle. It feels fast enough though and it flys over most terrain. Start modding heavily and you loose the whole charm of having a Clod imo. 

Either really for that typical Tamiya quality unrivalled scale fun factor. Nothing else comes close to this.

For either 100% get yourself an ess one+ sound module. This really does enhance the scale fun factor.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-ess-one-2017-engine-sound-system/rc-car-products/425936

However, if you want fast, something suitable for sustained jumping / BMX track and massive performance fun out the box then go with the other brands like Traxxas etc. You can never achieve comparable performance from the Tamiya options no matter how much you spend on them. 

Money not an issue. Buy a Super Clod (with bearings), Hobbywing Quicrun 1060, 3s lipos to satisfy that retro vibe then get a lipo / brushless equipped out the box truck from another brand. Traxxas X-Maxx if you can. After one of those everything else is just a bit meh on performance. 

Tamiya everytime for scale though.

• Like 1

Great points!!! I want a XMAXX in the worst way but I can't justify the four digit price tag.