Saito2

So, I think my next monster truck KIT will be... Traxxas?

If it came with Bigfoot shell, I'd be all in too. Unfortunately when pricing it out with decals, grill, engine and roll bars gets expensive quick. 

12 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

If it came with Bigfoot shell, I'd be all in too. Unfortunately when pricing it out with decals, grill, engine and roll bars gets expensive quick. 

It's just cheaper to buy the Bigfoot Stampede, fully dismantle it, bag the parts re-box it, post it to yourself and then build the thing. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Prescient said:

It's just cheaper to buy the Bigfoot Stampede, fully dismantle it, bag the parts re-box it, post it to yourself and then build the thing. 

Pretty sure that one is 2wd

I had a TMAXX but it didn't scratch my monster truck itch. Does anyone make a real competitor to the Clod/TXT in terms of size? XMAXX doesnt count, 1000 too much money for me.

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Does anyone make a real competitor to the Clod/TXT in terms of size?

As far a a solid axle monsters go? Not really other than the Kyosho Mad Cruiser/Crusher. I've seen  HPI Wheely Kings and Axial SMT10s with Clod tires added, but they seem at their limit with those size tires. The Clod and TXT trucks are literally designed to support that kind of mass. There's also the Ground Pounder, but the less said about that, the better.

Now that the TRX-4 is coming out as a kit, it might be time to build a solid axle MT based on a traxxas platform. 

There are portal delete kits from SSD available and single speed kits which would help with durability and simplicity. I would also get rid of the lockable diffs to minimize complexity. A bit of oil, if the diffs are sealed or sealable, would probably be perfect. Lack of diff tuning options is the number one problem I have with my mod clod. 

For chassis, some options would be:

-custom fab with the included traxxas chassis - it just needs an extension for the lower link mounts. RCBros made such an extension to convert the scx10 to a solid axle MT, so that could serve as a template

-aftermarket chassis - there are plenty from about $100 up to $250. The ACRC chassis is very simple and strong

-smt10 plastic chassis - this is one of the better parts from the smt10

I like the idea of a well-supported platform with plentiful parts as the base for a solid axle MT. 

• Like 1

I researched TRX axles some time ago for the same. If I remember correctly, the width works out about right. Coupled with Proline or Jconcepts wheels with the adjustable offset, you'd be in business.

I just browsed their site looking to see which came with the two speed trans and saw that there is several versions now in kit form, both crawler and  sport.