madmickmalone

Tamiya Fox Recomendations

Hi,

Currently running a Tamiya RZ motor with a Futaba MC230CR in the FOX

Could someone recommend a suitable Speed controller for the Tamiya RZ motor?( would the Futaba MC331CR be ok?)

And would love to get some steel robinson pinion gears but cant remember the pitch of the pinion for the FOX?

any help would be great.

Thanks

MMM

You can go wrong with a hobbywing 1060 esc! 

Pinion wise, I think the fox is 0.8mod, but I use 32dp, as they are cheaper and more available. Although not truly 0.8 mod, they are close enough at 0.7938 mod 

• Like 1

I think both hobbywing 1060 and Futaba MC331CR would work. 

Hobbywing says 60A, Futaba says 90A.  But Hobbywing can run faster motors, like 12+ turns.  Futaba can only run 20+ turns.  Hobbywing can take 3S (11.1v), Futaba can take up to 8.4v.  Hobbywing is about half the price and waterproof.  Most people (including Wooders and myself) have a good impression of it.  

I think the Fox uses 32 pitch, but as Wooders said, the difference is so small, either 32 or 0.8 mod should work.  Though, for a brushed motor, I don't think steel pinion is necessary. 

Unless... you go brushless.  A brushless has like 5 times of the torque.  It's a blessing and a curse.  You can use taller gear ratios (bigger pinions like 16t or 17t).  On the other hand, if you are using RZ, you kinda have to stick with 15t because bigger pinions will kill the RPM.  But a brushless will wear out the pinion a lot faster (500% peak torque!).  So get yourself a steel pinion, if you want to go brushless.  If you are going to stay with a brushed motor? Aluminum pinions should be just fine for several seasons. 

• Thanks 1