bjorklo

Too many controllers

So I'm starting to get way to many controllers for my runner cars. 

I usually just get the flysky cheap controller. 

Is there a similar cheap version so I can use on all my cars? The receiver must bee "cheap" and easy to bind. I prefer the controller to not be Hugh and heavy... 

Any tip to what I should be looking at? 

Thanks in advance. 

At about $5.25 per receiver, Flysky is the cheapest. 

[1]  You can google on how to hack it with some open source program.  Once hacked, one Flysky GT3C can have 60 car memories, I think?  That should be plenty for most folks.  Equipping 60 cars should cost you $45 + ($5.25 x 59)= $354.75. ($5.9 per car)

[2]  Even if you buy one Flysky GT3C for every 10 cars, it's still cheaper than the next set.  60 cars would mean $600. ($10 per car) 

[3]  The next "cheap" receivers are from Radiolink, but they are still about $15 a piece.  One Radiolink RC6GS + one receiver is $65+($15x9) = $200.  I haven't heard of any hack for this radio.  10 car memory for radio, so 60 cars would mean $1200. ($20 per car)

[4]  Futaba 3PV costs $130.  Each receiver is about $45.  10 car memory, so $130 + (9x$45) = $535.  Equipping 60 cars would mean $3210. ($53 per car)

• Like 4

Flysky makes computerized radios with multiple model memory. Since you have the receivers already, just makes sense to see what Flysky programmable radio will work with what you have.

• Like 1

I have 3 Flysky controllers with multiple memory.... but find it easier to just bind whatever cars I want to run at the time. Sure there are some standard bindings i have, but it is easier this way to run any 3 cars you want at the same time with just a few mins time spent binding. I don't bother with any fancy extras on the controller (ABS etc etc), just left,right, go and woah.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Juggular said:

[1]  You can google on how to hack it with some open source program.  Once hacked, one Flysky GT3C can have 60 car memories, I think?  That should be plenty for most folks.  Equipping 60 cars should cost you $45 + ($5.25 x 59)= $354.75. ($5.9 per car)

[2]  Even if you buy one Flysky GT3C for every 10 cars, it's still cheaper than the next set.  60 cars would mean $600. ($10 per car) 

[3]  The next "cheap" receivers are from Radiolink, but they are still about $15 a piece.  One Radiolink RC6GS + one receiver is $65+($15x9) = $200.  I haven't heard of any hack for this radio.  10 car memory for radio, so 60 cars would mean $1200. ($20 per car)

[4]  Futaba 3PV costs $130.  Each receiver is about $45.  10 car memory, so $130 + (9x$45) = $535.  Equipping 60 cars would mean $3210. ($53 per car)

Thanks for the tip, your nr 1 suggestion is absolutely worth looking into. Hope it's not to difficult, because I tend to give up then :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

Flysky makes computerized radios with multiple model memory. Since you have the receivers already, just makes sense to see what Flysky programmable radio will work with what you have.

Very good point.. I'm more certain that it have to be a flysky controller... 

3 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

I have 3 Flysky controllers with multiple memory.... but find it easier to just bind whatever cars I want to run at the time. Sure there are some standard bindings i have, but it is easier this way to run any 3 cars you want at the same time with just a few mins time spent binding. I don't bother with any fancy extras on the controller (ABS etc etc), just left,right, go and woah.

I see your point.. Actually I had some problems getting it to bind, in the past so I guess that's why I haven't considered this. 

Just ordered a Flysky gt3c pre hacked, so hopefully it will work a s it should when I get it. 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Juggular said:

Normally I like your posts Jug but this one has highlighted how much I have spent on Futaba and *gasp* Sanwa gear...5 of my cars run Futaba and 6 Sanwa...luckily my wife isn't on here

That hacked one sounds interesting, when I got my FS i6 there was an i6X available which looks like a hacked i6 with q0 channels. Weird how the 6 channel can be hacked to have 10 channels.

• Haha 1

Like others have said, get a multi-model memory transmitter.   I have a few year old Spektrum DSM transmitter with 3 Spektrum receivers, then another 5 receivers which are OrangeRX which are DSM compatible.  I like the Orange which are smaller than the Spektrum receivers which matters for my F1 cars where space inside the body is precious. 

I also gave away a few of my HPI remotes to nephews with my builds.  I do keep two non-Spektrum remotes from HobbyKing so that way if someone wants to play RC with me I have a handout remote & car.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Normally I like your posts Jug but this one has highlighted how much I have spent on Futaba and *gasp* Sanwa gear...5 of my cars run Futaba and 6 Sanwa...luckily my wife isn't on here

That hacked one sounds interesting, when I got my FS i6 there was an i6X available which looks like a hacked i6 with q0 channels. Weird how the 6 channel can be hacked to have 10 channels.

lol... I'm glad I didn't list Sanwa.  I'm afraid to tally up the exact amount of my expenditure, for the same reason.  

But I generally want to see the numbers.  

Our 2004 Subaru was about $20,000.  Next year, it will be an average of $104/month (after 192 months).  That's almost break-even point with buses, which would be $5 a day.  ($104 divided by 20 working days= $5.2)  If I were single, and if I drove it less than 16 years, taking a bus could be cheaper. --Not convenient, but cheaper--  Who even thinks about how long it would take to break even with buses?  I've never commuted on a bus.  (I don't even like math -- just that math is logical...) 

Flysky simply came out as the cheapest way to run as many cars as possible.  Disposable income is all different.  A poor student with 5 bashers, a young dad who just got a new job, or a pensioner with a limited income... They might all go for an inexpensive way to enjoy.  (I'm none of the above. But I'm more interested in the mechanics of each car. So I chose to invest in chassis, rather than radio gear. Now that my collection is approaching 30, I'm afraid Sanwa MT-S wouldn't be my first choice)  Unlike me, some choose quality over quantity.  It's all good.  

If I raced, however, the response time would be more important than the unit price.  Look at the rallies, every car is souped up.  So, if you are racing, don't be foolish.  Get race-spec transmitters like Futaba or Sanwa.  But for driving a Konghead over deer-droppings in my backyard (not intentionally), cheap stuff would do.   

• Like 3

I tend to use Sanwa MX-V for my best runners, Xray, F103, TA05 (replaced now with FF03)

the rest has either HobbyKing transmitters or GoolRC.

basically my M03 has a GoolRC transmitter, my Lunchbox has a Hobbyking (flysky gt2b clone) and I have another flysky reciever for the gt2b for my VRC PRO simulator.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, Juggular said:

Our 2004 Subaru was about $20,000.  Next year, it will be an average of $104/month (after 192 months).  That's almost break-even point with buses, which would be $5 a day.  ($104 divided by 20 working days= $5.2)  If I were single, and if I drove it less than 16 years, taking a bus could be cheaper. --Not convenient, but cheaper--  Who even thinks about how long it would take to break even with buses?  I've never commuted on a bus.  (I don't even like math -- just that math is logical...) 

You are leaving out one variable in your analogy......car insurance 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott_CT said:

You are leaving out one variable in your analogy......car insurance 

Road tax, servicing, tyres...

Worth £5 a day not to have to use a bus.

Multi model controllers are great if they have enough room to put in a full model name and you can remember which car it relates to. I was swapping and rebuilding that often that I could not remember which car was listed as what in the controller

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, Juggular said:

lol... I'm glad I didn't list Sanwa.  I'm afraid to tally up the exact amount of my expenditure, for the same reason.  

But I generally want to see the numbers.  

Flysky simply came out as the cheapest way to run as many cars as possible.  Disposable income is all different.  A poor student with 5 bashers, a young dad who just got a new job, or a pensioner with a limited income... They might all go for an inexpensive way to enjoy.  (I'm none of the above. But I'm more interested in the mechanics of each car. So I chose to invest in chassis, rather than radio gear. Now that my collection is approaching 30, I'm afraid Sanwa MT-S wouldn't be my first choice)  Unlike me, some choose quality over quantity.  It's all good.  

If I raced, however, the response time would be more important than the unit price.  Look at the rallies, every car is souped up.  So, if you are racing, don't be foolish.  Get race-spec transmitters like Futaba or Sanwa.  But for driving a Konghead over deer-droppings in my backyard (not intentionally), cheap stuff would do.   

Completely off-topic, but the perfection that is top team rally suspension never ceases to amaze, absorb, and entertain me.

Honestly, how could anyone think F1 is any good when you've to WRC?

• Haha 1

Or take a look at those trophy trucks ( really unknown in Europa, ive seen it on some youtube clips )

Absurd the beating those can take .  

On the other hand, all those sports.. including wrc , kind of look like watching a game of tennis if you ever took a peek at Irish roadracing. ( Isle of Man style ) .

Or what those brave souls do at Icelandic hilltop racing  ( nutters ! )

... now i type this..  i so need to fix the motorbike :) :) :)

But running into a similar issue,  while i do got the Nomadio set back in working order,  its seems if i want to have some fun on a track i have to ditch it.

( somehow, these sets are banned , have no idea why )       Really shameful, as with the telemetrie its quite glorious to have temp readout / and other info at your fighter tip before

you nuke a cylinder head on a 2 stroke .

• Haha 1

Oh mate, a video from Red Bull of a SCT or TT doing wheelies around sand dunes just popped up in my feed. Drool. I'm so getting a Losi Baja Rey as soon as I can. With an audio things :lol:

Yeah Isle of Mann is insanity. There's a good Xbox game that really gives the feel of speed and pants-filling excitement. Can't imagine those nutters doing it for real.

Sorry, I'm the off-topic king eh :D