Sign in to follow this  
Uranium

the steering on my tt02 is screwed

okay, i think i'll stop asking for a bit after this.

i've asked about tt02 things, but i think this is probably the most important recently. my steering is pretty abysmal, and i'll explain.

i'll drive my car and it's pretty okay, but it keeps leaning to the left (steering trim helps, but i think this is also an issue when i built it originally). i'll just be on the throttle and it turns to the left. when i turn left with the wheel though, it'll spin like a record. however when i turn to the right, it's an understeering mess compared to turning left. it doesn't spin, just drives like its on rails.

the only thing i can think of that messes it up is that i mounted the upper suspension arms backwards as someone suggested in my essential upgrades thread, as they said it adds a few degreee of caster. however i think it's kind of more than that.

i lost one of my front dogbones after i jumped it over a curb out of boredom (the dumbest thing i could possibly do) so now i'm just waiting for universals. so now it's an RWD racer (ish). i decided to try the car some more in its 2WD form.

i turn left and accelerate, its smooth and silky. i turn right and accelerate, theres actually wheel spin. i didn't even know that was a thing for an rc car, but the wheels spin like mad like a dog scampering to get away from another dog they're scared of. what could i have possibly done wrong here? the servo i have is a futaba s3004. everything steering is stock except for the upper arms. sorry for the long thread...

Well, that is why I want to buy a setup station. Adjusting the suspension is one of the most important things in real cars and rc.

Your camber settings are mostly likely completely different left to right. This is the most common cause of different handling left to right. 

I believe the stock TT02 is not adjustable in this way so you may not be able to do a lot about that without adding optional parts. 

The TT02RR and TT02S have most of the major adjustments stock. 

It would be worthwhile to pull the front bearings from the axles and give them  clean. You could have something binding up one side causing the turn.. but I think it is more likely a suspension geometry issue.

I got a RPM camber gauge and it is quite interesting to see how much difference there can be on camber... front and rear. There is only so much you can tune out using the steering trim. 

Hmmm just took a look at the TT02 manual. Assuming yours is stock, you cant adjust the camber. That leaves checking the bearings and checking the suspension is installed correctly.

8 hours ago, Uranium said:

i turn left and accelerate, its smooth and silky. i turn right and accelerate, theres actually wheel spin. i didn't even know that was a thing for an rc car, but the wheels spin like mad like a dog scampering to get away from another dog

Could this be related and possibly something to do with the diff binding in someway?

You just likely need to get the alignment at least equal left and right.  You don't need a setup station for this.  You can do this with basic dial calipers that you can purchase from your local hardware store for about $15 USD.  Just work on getting the left and right sides equal to start with, then you can adjust to start getting the vehicle to drive straight.

• Like 1

Did you connect the servo to the electrics before connecting the servo-arm? When you connect the servo goes to the neutral position... Seems to me that your servo neutral position isn't good and is too much to the left and that trimming is helpful but not enough. Could explane the too much steering to the left and too less steering too the right...

Screenshot_20190307-184732

And driving a TT02 with no dogbones in front doesn't make it a 2wd but a non-handling car... Tried it once, never twice..

And please, don't stop asking... 

Grtz Birger 

• Like 1

I doubt it'll handle that well just being rwd! Was designed for 4wd as you know, they will be a right handful with the front drive train disconnected. 

Does it 'snatch' left or right like its a mind of its self? Especially when accelerating? 

hello. thank you for the responses. do you want any pictures of the suspension? everything looks pretty precise to me...also i forgot to mention the battery, which is a traxxas 6 cell nimh with 4200mah. it certainly feels a bit weighty, so that might just be the sole reason. but it's stil pretty horrid.

13 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Could this be related and possibly something to do with the diff binding in someway?

i checked both differentials and they're pretty okay, maybe i should just add some oil to it.

10 hours ago, Birger said:

Did you connect the servo to the electrics before connecting the servo-arm? When you connect the servo goes to the neutral position... Seems to me that your servo neutral position isn't good and is too much to the left and that trimming is helpful but not enough.

the neutral position with the s3004 for the tamiya isn't exactly straight on, but i think i adjusted it enough to be at least straight enough. it'll still be tilted left or right.

10 hours ago, svenb said:

Does it 'snatch' left or right like its a mind of its self? Especially when accelerating? 

no, it just pulls itself to the left under acceleration. no snap unless i turn left on full lock. and when i turn the right full lock it's normal.

edit: the battery i have weighs 12 ounces. is that light enough to balance the weight of the electronics or is that too heavy? compared to the 9 ounces the electronics weight, i don't think 3 ounces is too big of ballast...but of course i can be wrong about that.

Edited by Uranium
added battery weight