Sign in to follow this  
max69vk

Paint removal - Polycarbonate & DeSolvIt -Test results

I got a can of desolvit from b&q and used it on my vanquish sell.

Im pretty sure it was painted in old tamiya brush on lexan paint.

It took the paint off reasonably quickly, using an old toothbrush, and left no damage at all to the body. It didnt even touch the decals apart from the number 2 white ink. They are going anyway.

Took about 45 mins to do the body and wing but mainly because some areas were stubborn where the paint was thicker and harder or in hard to reach areas.

j0VvVsQ.jpg

The cloudyness on the cockpit is where its all scuffed up, there was no hint of any cloudyness on this. I applied it, left it 5 mins, worked it with the toothbrush, reapplied, worked it again then washed with water. I then dried it and re applied where neaded. Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like the type of paint factors heavily. I had no issues with my farm king, several nikko hard bodied models and the beat up kyosho I've been doing today has gone fine too so far considering it had god knows what paint on it.

1554475013537412475169219989604.thumb.jpg.f2e64f4334a9bcaa61c8f04ee3343d42.jpg

The Nikko I also started today is a real mess though

20190405_153951-1024x1365.thumb.jpg.565b382b326254f4f7f299f9d963c8a7.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have tried the Good-Off brand of graffiti remover with minimal luck. I am in the US so this is what's available locally.

This was on a unimog 425 she'll that I painted with Tamiya orange PS paint. That same body has been a test mule for several processes to include brake fluid and Easy off. 

When the body was sprayed originally (3 years ago) it was scuffed and covered thoroughly.

What might I be doing wrong as I would like to have this process nailed down as a future just-in-case thing to know?

10 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

I have tried the Good-Off brand of graffiti remover with minimal luck. I am in the US so this is what's available locally.

This was on a unimog 425 she'll that I painted with Tamiya orange PS paint. That same body has been a test mule for several processes to include brake fluid and Easy off. 

When the body was sprayed originally (3 years ago) it was scuffed and covered thoroughly.

What might I be doing wrong as I would like to have this process nailed down as a future just-in-case thing to know?

I don't so anything special really. Spray it on, spread it around, leave for 5-10 minutes, agitate with a tooth brush and rinse off. Then repeat as necessary.

I find it sometimes leaves a slight residue (not the aforementioned persistent one) which just buffs off easily.

Maybe it has more to do with brand to brand differences?

I dont see why it would make much difference, but the vanquish body above doesnt look like it was keyed before painting.

Ill be repainting it soon, ill scuff up a bit of spare lexan and paint it with ps when i do this body, leave it a good while and see how this stuff works then.