Collin

Searching for ESC LiPo to Brushed 17x4 Motor

Hi TC fellas,

I want to give my Dyna Storm a run but I dont have any NiMhs and even dont want to get some. Now I am looking for a standard ESC which is fair price and "powerfull" :lol: enough to run the already installed LRP v10 Spec.2 17x4 motor.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. C

Just to add, the present ESC is a Tamiya TEU-101BK. IT should work with LiPo, right? I do use external voltage controll, so that should be save, right?

Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 all the way !

I can confirm it runs an LRP v10 Spec.5  17x2 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

+1 for he Hobbywing 1060.  It's probably the most popular brushed ESC on the forum.  According to it's specs it's rated at 60 amps, can handle down to 12 turns or upto 30,000 rpm motors on a 2 cell LiPo.  It'll take a 3 cell LiPo too, but with less powerful motors.

There's also it's big brother; the 1080.  It's mostly aimed at the crawler market, but is rated at 80 amps, has adjustable BEC for different servos, and comes with a programming card, so is very adjustable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there. Meanwhile I figured out the Tamiya TEU-101BK takes the 2S LiPo. Even without BEC no troubles having a testrun in the flat. It even have 60Amps, so its fairly the sames as 1060 ESC.

Thanks for your advice anyway, now I know what is standard.

42 minutes ago, Collin said:

Hi there. Meanwhile I figured out the Tamiya TEU-101BK takes the 2S LiPo. Even without BEC no troubles having a testrun in the flat. It even have 60Amps, so its fairly the sames as 1060 ESC.

Thanks for your advice anyway, now I know what is standard.

I've not had any issues running any esc on Lipo,as long as the motor is within turn spec, the esc doesn't care where it gets the voltage from, (no 3s+ obviously), What they don't have is a low volt cut out, so need to run a low volt alarm, they're only a quid off ebay, so no biggy.

• Like 3

The TEU-101BK doesn't have a BEC either so it's pumping battery voltage into your receiver and servo.  No low voltage cut off and no BEC.

15 hours ago, Thommo said:

The TEU-101BK doesn't have a BEC either

So you need to run the separate 4xAA 6v battery pack with those esc's? 

I haven't run one of those on any esc, since the 80's.

• Haha 1

It's fine if you are running high voltage servos, you will get better servo performance than if you had a BEC due to the higher voltage.  If your servos can't take full pack voltage, run a UBEC (external BEC) or simply a different ESC.  A separate RX pack would be the bottom of a list of options, for me.

Well, I think its pretty much no problem if the servo and receiver get 2V more for a little time. I read on several posts that people run it like this, so I´d give it a try. Othervice adding a UBEC. Another batterypack is no option, too much weight.
Voltage Cutoff is not necessary with a Lipo Saver.

• Like 1

Aside from BEC issues, can the ESC handle a 17 turn?  

I think Tamiya TEU-101BK and the later version TBLE02S are limited to 23t or Sport Tuned motors?  

I'm with Wooders, when he said;

On 3/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, Wooders28 said:

as long as the motor is within turn spec

I would worry more about that?  

On 3/12/2019 at 5:16 AM, Juggular said:

Aside from BEC issues, can the ESC handle a 17 turn?  

I think Tamiya TEU-101BK and the later version TBLE02S are limited to 23t or Sport Tuned motors?  

I'm with Wooders, when he said;

I would worry more about that?  

Humm.. had a garden bash yesterday, grass worked again the motor. Well, the ESC switched off once but that was not during full load. It was after giving gas with wheels in the air for a second or so... after off/on it was back again and running well.

I dont know, this setup came with the Dyna and it runs pretty good for my opinion. The manual says Sport Tuned motors, dont know, are this specified specs? which meands 23T or 27T

As an alternative I d have this LRP F1-P but I did not found any datasheets about it. :unsure: It came paired with a Acto Power Touring which is a 15T motor. Hope this will work better then :)

ds_30.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, some news. I figured out that the motor does need a service. I have to push the car a bit forward to make the motor running. Just quickly cleaned the brushes and in the moment the car was much quicker. ESC still switching off from time to time because of overheating motor. I think this all is connected to a well used motor.

Any suggestions, anything I have to care about? Going to disassemble the motor now...

Update: Collector was oxydised, gaps full with dust and a lot of dirt inside. I cleaned everything and all running smoother then before, Now I am just wondering about, if the ESC shutdown was because of this. Gearing is 27 pinion and 126 spur (Dyna Storm). Motor became really hot. Going to have a run tomorrow and will see how it works now.

Update: went down with the pinion and ESC is switching off because of heat protection... dohh.

I could get a LRP indy 400 for low price. But I am not shure, seems to be fine down to 13x2 turns. Can anyone with lot of experience have a look on the linked manual?

I still want to run the LRP v10 Spec.2 17x4 motor but with a "nostalgic" esc.

I know, Hobbywing...  :rolleyes:

The Indy 400 was the first ESC I ever bought.  I ran it for a few years on a 13 double, but that was with NiCd batteries.  It will probably handle your motor, but if you want to keep a vintage ESC I would suggest a top end one, they don't normally sell for much more than the sport level ESCs. Something like the LRP Quantum Competition, or my favourites the Novak GTX, GT7 and Cyclone.  The problem with the Hobbywing is it just looks cheap, and it's common.  Even if they do perform well.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, LongRat said:

The problem with the Hobbywing is it just looks cheap, and it's common.  Even if they do perform well.

Exactly what I am talking about! B)

A lot helps a lot :lol: If this wouldnt work, I dont know then... just need to get some Schottky diods and capcitors and its ready to run. :wub:

ds_35.jpg

ds_36.jpg

On 8/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, LongRat said:

The problem with the Hobbywing is it just looks cheap, and it's common.  Even if they do perform well.

You don't think the Tamiya ESC's look cheap? Really?

Collin,. I generally support the idea of the 1060, because it is hard to beat, but in your case, I'd take it one step further and get the Hobbywing 1080. Smoother and handles more power.

Cheap in the meaning of the design. Not the tech specs. For shure the 1060 would solve all my problems but ist about the style.

15 hours ago, Collin said:

Cheap in the meaning of the design. Not the tech specs. For shure the 1060 would solve all my problems but ist about the style.

You could do something like @stew_mac did, and fit a 1060 in the case of an old servo, and fit a, just for show, MSC, or fit the 1060 bullet proof elecs into an esc you think is pretty? 

Just went trough the tread, everyone is regarding the 1060 and I am so ignorant! Shame on me guys :lol: But now I have at least three ESCs which does not run the top end motors :D

On 9/4/2019 at 7:07 PM, DK308 said:

You don't think the Tamiya ESC's look cheap? Really?

Yes I do.  I'm talking about vintage high end ESCs like Tekins, Novaks, LRPs etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LongRat said:

Yes I do.  I'm talking about vintage high end ESCs like Tekins, Novaks, LRPs etc.

Thanks... :wub:

11 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

You could do something like @stew_mac did, and fit a 1060 in the case of an old servo, and fit a, just for show, MSC, or fit the 1060 bullet proof elecs into an esc you think is pretty? 

mhmmm,... nope. I want it real ;)

but I am curious about stew-macs mod. :)

How about a Tekin FX-R Pro? It's tiny, looks cool, and drives like a racing ESC with reverse.

The Hobbywing 1080 looks way better than the 1060 and performs better, too. It's my brushed ESC of choice.