Darug

Wild Willy Restoration Part 2

Further to my previous post, I now have my original Wild Willy.

Below are pictures of all the gear, with some corrosion :-( 

The Dummy battery is missing from the Futaba 4CH Controller, however, I think this was to keep the violtage around 7.5V ??? I think I have a Futaba charger somewhere, which might be for the receiver?

Looks like a bit of WD40, Isoprol Alcohol will be used. Tyres though dirty, might still be okay. It's a shame about the front bumper.

Wild Willy (1).jpg

Wild Willy (2).jpg

Wild Willy (3).jpg

Wild Willy (4).jpg

Wild Willy (5).jpg

Wild Willy (6).jpg

Wild Willy (7).jpg

Wild Willy (8).jpg

Wild Willy (9).jpg

Wild Willy (10).jpg

Wild Willy (11).jpg

Wild Willy (12).jpg

Wild Willy (13).jpg

Wild Willy (14).jpg

• Like 4

Wild Willy 2's bumper looks almost identical.  So that's easy to find. 

Despite the rust, it looks pretty good.  (if it had moisture, tires tend to do better, if it was dry, tires tend to crumble...)  

Well. I bought some AA 1.2V batteries, and put them in the transmitter. There was slight movement in the signal meter. I tried to put batteries in the receiver case, but I think the insided might be heavilly corroded. I also had a rechargeable battery pack, as well as the charger for it, however the plugpack appears to be dead. No lights, but that could be the battery pack?

I've sprayed the base/body with Isoprol alcohol (hopefully the tyres will be okay after a rinse).

Unsure where to go from here.

Edited by Darug
Typo aa/aaa

The power meter on the handset should show a strong reading with new batteries . Check / clean the battery contacts in the handset . The 4AA battery box for the receiver sounds shot , so a new one is a couple of pounds , check the switch too . The Nicad batteries will be shot too . A new hump back battery in NiMh battery is £20 , and a quick charger is around £10 for basic one . If you aren't going to use the MSC / resistors , then a Hobbywing 1060 ESC will fit in , then you also don't need the 4AA battery box and the MSC servo  . You might want to re-think the radio system anyway as it is all old , and start a fresh with a new 2 channel TX , RX and servo / ESC and the humpbacked battery and charger and you're good to go

I found some batteries to suit. Frog hump on eBay

I have a wild Willy 2, so I could use the charger from that. I saw someone on here had soldered some c cells together, which I thought about doing.

I saw this article using the Original cases .

I assume a 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver like This will work.

I found an msc on Ebay, so I assume that works with the existing servos?

Edited by Darug
Msc

Well, I've given it a clean, put grease (from my WW2) in the gears. I'll put some pics up later.

Also, any feedback on my previous post would be great. I've ordered the battery from the UK. 

On 3/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, Darug said:

I found some batteries to suit. Frog hump on eBay

I have a wild Willy 2, so I could use the charger from that. I saw someone on here had soldered some c cells together, which I thought about doing.

I saw this article using the Original cases .

I assume a 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver like This will work.

I found an msc on Ebay, so I assume that works with the existing servos?

The link on ebay shows an ESC. That doesn't work with a servo. It gets rid of the manual speed control servo so you are just left with a steering servo. That Hobbywing you have linked is a good ESC.

As for the brand of transmitter/receiver your ebay link points to, I have never heard of that brand. I don't know where you are located, but I would stick with a name or known brand of transmitter/receiver. I'm more familiar with Spektrum, Futaba, or even a FlySky (which I find reasonably priced and work very well).

Perfect specimen. Congrats! I know I'd love to lay my hands on such a wonderful RC vehicle! :)

1 hour ago, tamiya_1971 said:

The link on ebay shows an ESC. That doesn't work with a servo. It gets rid of the manual speed control servo so you are just left with a steering servo. That Hobbywing you have linked is a good ESC.

As for the brand of transmitter/receiver your ebay link points to, I have never heard of that brand. I don't know where you are located, but I would stick with a name or known brand of transmitter/receiver. I'm more familiar with Spektrum, Futaba, or even a FlySky (which I find reasonably priced and work very well).

Thanks for picking up on that about the servo controller. 

I live in Australia,  so I have to look at anything from Asia. Batteries though I don't trust from China, and it was just as cheap ordering that pack from the UK as it was making one.

I don't earn a great deal, so I have to be careful with my money.

This is after giving it a clean with isopril alcohol, clr,  silvo, wd40 etc.

20190317_110140-1612x1209-806x605.jpg

20190317_110140-1612x1209-806x605.jpg

20190317_110217-1612x1209-806x605.jpg

20190317_110132-1209x1612-605x806.jpg

20190317_110158-1612x1209-806x605.jpg

You could try using small amounts of soapy water / Cif with a cotton bud / small paint brush to clean around the top edges of the tub and rear arms etc . I think you will see more improvement . If it were me I would strip the whole chassis down and restore it , but if you are going to run it then it will be fine as it is .

The dummy cell in Futaba radio is so you can use alkaline AA batteries. 

Rechargeable nicads of that time were 1.2V ea, so 8pcs = 9.6V

Alkaline so are 1.5V ea so 8pcs = 12.0V; lose one to 7pcs and you get 10.5V.

Which end of oz island are you at? :)