MadInventor

Flatbed trailer question for the american members

I've just recently bought the Tamiya flatbed trailer, which I would like to add some lighting to. At the rear of the trailer there is a sticker that appears to be 3 red lights or reflectors, mounted centrally. What are these ? Are they supposed to be reflectors, brake lights, or just rear illumination for night driving ?

Also, are the little orange stickers that go down the sides of the trailer supposed to be reflectors or lights? I looked online at some pictures of flatbed trailers and there didn't appear to be any side running lights, would these be mounted lower down on the underside of the bed.

Thanks,

This will help:  Federal Trailer Lighting Requirements

Basically, due to the length of the trailer it is required to have yellow side marker lights.  What you don't want to have happen is some other motorist drive into the side of a long trailer at an intersection at night, so the side marker lights are visual cues something long/wide is in front of them.  It's line item 5a on the page.

Also, due to the width of the trailer there is a requirement for three central marker lights to designate a wide trailer; this is line item 7.  There is a comparable requirement for tractors as well with three central yellow marker lights over the cab (line item 3 here).

• Thanks 1

Speedy beat me ot it.

O       O  O  O       O     = vehicle over 80" wide (amber lights visible from the front, red from the rear, usually placed up high)

What's funny is that that ridiculous Ford Raptor is so wide that it's required to have them as well, they're just buried in the grille:

129_0912_05_z+2010_ford_f150_svt_raptor+