Nicadraus

CC01 - in memory of my dad.

So I wet sanded the entire body and 3-step buffed it.

Wet sanded...

o3Hv7ZSh.jpg

Buffed...

7omAt01h.jpg

fUi14zvh.jpg

DCsHkfch.jpg

Seen here are the metallic flakes...

0k2Hzlhh.jpg

YPMImJLh.jpg

Prepped for masking (again)...

jtnSmmJh.jpg

TtgD0oxh.jpg

QEgQa2gh.jpg

ejiifYch.jpg

uZj3TLGh.jpg

Painted all the parts that should be in matte black

Wpis9P9h.jpg

8Nol6E6h.jpg

890NgDqh.jpg

docD4eSh.jpg

• Like 5

Mask off...

CMF7oV3h.jpg

Finishing touches...

Tri-diamond emblem painted and some panel lines.

bY6rDKwh.jpg

Fabricated the lens for the tail lights. Made some grid lines, repainted to clear red and added frosting too

0NkLr5ch.jpg

dKtKt0nh.jpg

ObY9TyEh.jpg

8LZdoHgh.jpg

Finished body and lights installed too...

mX8cRvdh.jpg

hrnj5lhh.jpg

Now mounted on the chassis...

Kuk2pqEh.jpg

SFQu0GZh.jpg

uHS23Ouh.jpg

IxRXRqgh.jpg

O4IL7tNh.jpg

With lights on...

7nHWFwkh.jpg

qBPWbfBh.jpg

• Like 13

Is yours running okay without shims?  

Gears are staring to break down on mine.  CC01 has too much play between the ring gear on the diff box and bevel drive gear.  (photo is after fixing the problem with bushings and shims) 

pjUxQ9r.jpg

Not my idea: somebody on youtube suggested putting in two 850 bushings (as spacers) and about 2mm of shims.  The idea is to mesh the gears tightly.  The gears are strong enough, they are just not properly meshed.  

On the neck of bevel driver is also tiny bit of play.  One each on the inside of the outer bearings too, though these two have nothing to do with gear mesh.  

If it's going to stay as a shelf queen, it won't matter though. I wouldn't want to risk running it hard with a beautiful body like that.  Since your gears are pristine, I just thought it'd be a shame to have it carelessly broken down like mine above. 

k4k6TwZ.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Is yours running okay without shims?  

Gears are staring to break down on mine.  CC01 has too much play between the ring gear on the diff box and bevel drive gear.  (photo is after fixing the problem with bushings and shims) 

pjUxQ9r.jpg

Not my idea: somebody on youtube suggested putting in two 850 bushings (as spacers) and about 2mm of shims.  The idea is to mesh the gears tightly.  The gears are strong enough, they are just not properly meshed.  

On the neck of bevel driver is also tiny bit of play.  One each on the inside of the outer bearings too, though these two have nothing to do with gear mesh.  

If it's going to stay as a shelf queen, it won't matter though. I wouldn't want to risk running it hard with a beautiful body like that.  Since your gears are pristine, I just thought it'd be a shame to have it carelessly broken down like mine above. 

k4k6TwZ.jpg

I have actually done a similar remedy to mine. after seeing some tips like this. I don't have shims available at the moment so instead, I put an 850 & 1150 bushings to stop the play.

Thanks for the added tips by the way. :)

• Thanks 1

So some parts arrived in yesterday...

Rear suspension link, aluminum shock and suspension link mount, aluminum servo mount, bead-lock metal wheels.

FKggULlh.jpg

Installed...

3pAYyJ0h.jpg
Md7Qx36h.jpg
RZDLAiQh.jpg

Aluminum servo mount...

92OHwVyh.jpg

Bead lock wheels...

2pdIX1Ih.jpg

Installed a fan for the motor. I fabricated a CF plate to mount the fan onto it...

9ied2RVh.jpg

EQ60iJRh.jpg
pR3sGJmh.jpg
g4EtDxrh.jpg

With the new wheels...

YxL8sYZ.jpg
cpTkLmS.jpg

Still waiting for new aluminum parts for the front suspension and HR aluminum steering set. Will update soon. :)

• Like 5

Looking good with the new wheels, the complete result is really great. Why do you install a fan for the motor? Do you have thermal problems or just nice to have?

3 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Looking good with the new wheels, the complete result is really great. Why do you install a fan for the motor? Do you have thermal problems or just nice to have?

Oh it's just a something I have and I wanted to make it useful. Actually no heating problems at all even without the fan but still looks cool though. 😊

• Like 1

So I've had this pair of shock mounts since last March and I have never really decided whether to use it or not. 
t5Xew6Tl.jpg

I was contemplating on creating holes on the rear part of the chassis to install this but the 100mm shocks doesn't need to stretch out in the back like it needs in front. But since the original mount of the CC01 is plastic, I decided to use this aluminum mounts and place it sideways. In that way, it can be adjusted to many setting. Forward, backward, higher or lower. The result is great. 

Oao0Ckll.jpg
aaNtK6fl.jpg
8Gcpj7ml.jpg

I also installed strut bars using some spare adjustable links I had, front and rear. It actually helped a lot in stiffening the chassis.

YkZp7cil.jpg
kz7WvU1l.jpg

• Like 4

Went crawling with my daughter yesterday at a park...

rnfLZUhh.jpg

S9Znmm8h.jpg

ugxgwrkh.jpg

VIYkMOkh.jpg

6LVcp7Kh.jpg

mcecZ5hh.jpg

RWtIMgnh.jpg

Still waiting for a few mod parts though. 
Overall, I love this kit! :)

• Like 8

Awesome paint job!

Sorry for the nooby question, but what is this 3 step buffing you refer to?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Awesome paint job!

Sorry for the nooby question, but what is this 3 step buffing you refer to?

Compound buffing to remove sanded marks, swirl and haze removal buffing to remove swirls from compound buffing, polish buffing to finish off the surface and leave the paint job shinny.

• Thanks 1

Bought new sets of 100mm (grey) and 110mm (blue) shocks to replace the front dampers. The middle one is the nicest of the three. Better rebound and very smooth damping.

ClU415yh.jpg

QBQAjW7h.jpg

• Like 2

The ESC and servo are waterproof but the RX isn't. So I ordered a case for the RX and fabricated a new ESC tray from a 2mm carbon fiber plate. Re-arranged the wires and concealed what I could to make it look cleaner.

5br2UgGh.jpg

3iBX5YQh.jpg

• Like 2

Went crawling today with the bigger crawlers (Axial, Traxxas, AE, etc). My CC01 was surprisingly good. Although it couldn't crawl up the very steep areas but it still manage to get to most areas in the mini mountain.

IdK63Vth.jpg
4gdlFF9h.jpg
v2BEwY6h.jpg
uV2Mq74h.jpg
tPgX4L3h.jpg
tmwSbRah.jpg
c7i3SGMh.jpg
EWKhOeih.jpg
2HxhERFh.jpg
NYYQxpSh.jpg
hTm4SF3h.jpg
LLztb3hh.jpg
lXXElAvh.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aluminum parts for front suspension and steering arrived today...

ZFrlpXuh.jpg

Time to install them...

aSBG0Hrh.jpg

Did a lot of grinding on the lower arms to achieve longer rebound.

qV3oqxEh.jpg

U5INQAZh.jpg

JSKFP7ah.jpg

jPglazKh.jpg

• Like 3

The third set of aluminum steering for the CC01. The first I used was the GPM which was an ultimate let down. The aluminum material is too soft and makes a lot of play. The screws also keeps on loosening every few steer turns. The second was the Xtra Speed which wasn't really an upgrade because it's just an aluminum version of the stock with no ball bearings at all and the play was lousy. This being the third by Hot Racing. Looks and steers better. 

bsvUtMZl.jpg

anvBK6Gl.jpg

wpETKJyl.jpg

BCK0w8Zl.jpg

XnbouAhl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some updates...

- New differential gear case . Rebuilt the differential, cleaned the bearings too.

EJLyfGyh.jpg

a1iVV1Kh.jpg

rzGZh36h.jpg

New front gearbox cover

t6XL51xh.jpg

lA9eLGlh.jpg

- Re-positioned the rear shocks. Better rebound and travel

hhc59WHh.jpg

- New Xtraspeed center shaft

vCQmFAZh.jpg

IECOggmh.jpg

4WieyyNh.jpg

• Like 5

Holy @#€&!!! 😁 THAT'S what my CC-01 wants to be when it grows up! Very nicely done. Unfortunately I see you've been down the same Steering path that I've been down.... 

I ended up using the STOCK Bellcrank, but EPOXIED the lower Lever on, and filled the Shaft with heavy Marine Grease to reduce play. Disadvantage - I have to CUT one end off if I ever need to replace it. 

I absolutely want the Yeah Racing Steering Kit!! Really looks like it actually works. I'd love some of those Rear Shock Mounts.... Maybe I can make something similar from Axial Shock Towers. The Rear Shock setup, regardless of which Shock, is far too stiff for such a Light Vehicle. 

Most importantly, what a great tribute to your Dad!! I did similar, building the SR-71 Blackbird that he flew. I'm sure our Dads are smiling!! 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Holy @#€&!!! 😁 THAT'S what my CC-01 wants to be when it grows up! Very nicely done. Unfortunately I see you've been down the same Steering path that I've been down.... 

I ended up using the STOCK Bellcrank, but EPOXIED the lower Lever on, and filled the Shaft with heavy Marine Grease to reduce play. Disadvantage - I have to CUT one end off if I ever need to replace it. 

I absolutely want the Yeah Racing Steering Kit!! Really looks like it actually works. I'd love some of those Rear Shock Mounts.... Maybe I can make something similar from Axial Shock Towers. The Rear Shock setup, regardless of which Shock, is far too stiff for such a Light Vehicle. 

Most importantly, what a great tribute to your Dad!! I did similar, building the SR-71 Blackbird that he flew. I'm sure our Dads are smiling!! 😊

Wow! I salute your dad and he's such a lucky guy. To be able to fly in supersonic is such a story. But to be able to fly three times the speed of sound of more than a story. I'm a frustrated pilot myself. Would have been one if plans weren't changed. Always dreamed of being a Naval aviator (and fly the Tomcat)... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow! I salute your dad and he's such a lucky guy. To be able to fly in supersonic is such a story. But to be able to fly three times the speed of sound of more than a story. I'm a frustrated pilot myself. Would have been one if plans weren't changed. Always dreamed of being a Naval aviator (and fly the Tomcat)... 

Thank you, he was a Bonafide Hero and Congressional Medal of Honor🎖recipient, for preventing escalations in the 1973-74 Yom Kippur War, on one of his Flights, that was close to going Nuclear!!! 😲   Unfortunately due to the tightest security, that's all I'll ever know about that...  He was Buried with full Honors at Arlington National Cemetery - but all his Tombstone says is. "Brig. General, USAF, Veteran of Korea, Vietnam and Egypt"...  His DD-214 Discharge Papers stated that he NEVER left the United States!! 😲  And, there's heavy Black Magic Marker lines through nearly HALF of his Service History!  Life of a Spy Pilot.....

You want to discuss FRUSTRATION... try following THOSE footsteps! 😖  I couldn't even try because I destroyed my knees in High School Football... I was able to Enlist in the USAF, and I had a Civil Pilot's License. But I could not Fly any of the HOT Air Force Jets. 😭😭😭   Although as a Staff Sergeant, I did get to squeeze in some F-15 Simulator time (NOT the same!). (It never hurt that my Dad was a General then!! 😜

AND... During Desert Storm, due to a lack of personnel, a couple of us NCOs who had Civilian Pilot's Licenses, got a 6 hour checkout and 2 hour Simulator ride, and actually got to Ferry a few A-10s, from the King Faisal Naval Base, Saudi Arabia, to our Staging area!  Nope, not a Fighter Jet per se, but exciting just the same!  Being an obvious risk and highly unorthodox, we were in tight formation with several Officers... NO doing LOOPS!! 😜😂  The A-10 was actually MORE exciting than a lot of People think. It WASN'T fast. I've actually flown a FASTER small Business Jet!! 😲  But just grabbing that stick, looking at the buttons and levers, many dropped Bombs, Napalm and other ordinances, fired Missiles - and THEN that 35mm Gatling Gun CANNON, right under my feet - that could SAW a 747 in HALF!!!!! 🇺🇸😁😁😁

Sadly, thanks to modern Avionics, those "features" were locked out and fail safed by the Computer Interface OUTSIDE of the Fuselage.  That has a purpose... In case some Rebels ever stormed a Base, and could actually get Aircraft off the Ground without being SHOT, ANY Weapons Systems would be inoperable. 

A rumor... can't confirm or deny, the front line Jets (at the time, F-4J, F-111, F-14, 15, 16) had the same lockout feature - but also disabled the Afterburners and limited Throttle!!  Call it the "Fighter Jet Valet Switch"!!! 😄😂  DESIGNED so if the bad guys got hold of our Aircraft (thankfully never happened), they could feasibly take off without any harm to Ground Personnel, feeling like they succeeded..... 

Then are quickly overtaken and splashed!! (Waaa Waaa)

AGAIN, cannot confirm that. Similarly, the same rumors extended to British, French, German and Swedish Jets.... Few really knew.

The A-10 Warthog flew very similar to many Private Jets, with the exception of maneuverability that would break your SPINE... And of course that freaking CANNON!! My Dad was very proud of me that day. Mostly because I resisted the STRONG urge to do aerobatics!!! 😉😂  That was my ONLY stick time in an Air Force Jet....

Sorry this was so long. I never get to talk about this stuff... Nobody around me is interested. I'm not in the same surroundings I was when I was younger.

• Like 3

BTW, I've always appreciated and admired Naval Aviators. They basically did what we did - but with Taking Off and Landing on a pitching, rolling POSTAGE STAMP in the middle of the Sea!! That took cojones!😲👍👍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Thank you, he was a Bonafide Hero and Congressional Medal of Honor🎖recipient, for preventing escalations in the 1973-74 Yom Kippur War, on one of his Flights, that was close to going Nuclear!!! 😲   Unfortunately due to the tightest security, that's all I'll ever know about that...  He was Buried with full Honors at Arlington National Cemetery - but all his Tombstone says is. "Brig. General, USAF, Veteran of Korea, Vietnam and Egypt"...  His DD-214 Discharge Papers stated that he NEVER left the United States!! 😲  And, there's heavy Black Magic Marker lines through nearly HALF of his Service History!  Life of a Spy Pilot.....

You want to discuss FRUSTRATION... try following THOSE footsteps! 😖  I couldn't even try because I destroyed my knees in High School Football... I was able to Enlist in the USAF, and I had a Civil Pilot's License. But I could not Fly any of the HOT Air Force Jets. 😭😭😭   Although as a Staff Sergeant, I did get to squeeze in some F-15 Simulator time (NOT the same!). (It never hurt that my Dad was a General then!! 😜

AND... During Desert Storm, due to a lack of personnel, a couple of us NCOs who had Civilian Pilot's Licenses, got a 6 hour checkout and 2 hour Simulator ride, and actually got to Ferry a few A-10s, from the King Faisal Naval Base, Saudi Arabia, to our Staging area!  Nope, not a Fighter Jet per se, but exciting just the same!  Being an obvious risk and highly unorthodox, we were in tight formation with several Officers... NO doing LOOPS!! 😜😂  The A-10 was actually MORE exciting than a lot of People think. It WASN'T fast. I've actually flown a FASTER small Business Jet!! 😲  But just grabbing that stick, looking at the buttons and levers, many dropped Bombs, Napalm and other ordinances, fired Missiles - and THEN that 35mm Gatling Gun CANNON, right under my feet - that could SAW a 747 in HALF!!!!! 🇺🇸😁😁😁

Sadly, thanks to modern Avionics, those "features" were locked out and fail safed by the Computer Interface OUTSIDE of the Fuselage.  That has a purpose... In case some Rebels ever stormed a Base, and could actually get Aircraft off the Ground without being SHOT, ANY Weapons Systems would be inoperable. 

A rumor... can't confirm or deny, the front line Jets (at the time, F-4J, F-111, F-14, 15, 16) had the same lockout feature - but also disabled the Afterburners and limited Throttle!!  Call it the "Fighter Jet Valet Switch"!!! 😄😂  DESIGNED so if the bad guys got hold of our Aircraft (thankfully never happened), they could feasibly take off without any harm to Ground Personnel, feeling like they succeeded..... 

Then are quickly overtaken and splashed!! (Waaa Waaa)

AGAIN, cannot confirm that. Similarly, the same rumors extended to British, French, German and Swedish Jets.... Few really knew.

The A-10 Warthog flew very similar to many Private Jets, with the exception of maneuverability that would break your SPINE... And of course that freaking CANNON!! My Dad was very proud of me that day. Mostly because I resisted the STRONG urge to do aerobatics!!! 😉😂  That was my ONLY stick time in an Air Force Jet....

Sorry this was so long. I never get to talk about this stuff... Nobody around me is interested. I'm not in the same surroundings I was when I was younger.

Wow that's a nice read! I envy you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow that's a nice read! I envy you.

..... Don't be too envious. My Father did all the Über COOL things!! I was almost a lost Kid in a LONG Shadow, trying desperately to make a Name for MYSELF. 😖

Granted, my life wasn't terrible - at least up until 9 Years ago. 💔😭😞 

Fortunately I've met a couple of REALLY good, decent, generous People... Some HERE!!! 😊  The rest assume and believe that I'm a CRIMINAL. I've stopped caring so much about them.

• Haha 2

Sort of late to the game, but to the Original poster. Great Story and excellent  build. 
I also have a couple of RCs I inherited form my late Dad. Our Vintage Yokomo YZ10 which is almost exactly how we ran it in the late 80s ( survivor car, not so much “restored “ as just soldered you some Nihm cells into a saddle pack shape) 

I also have a “resto Mod “ early version of a Traxxas Stampede with modern electronics that I never remember my dad owning.

Long story short, I love your thread. It hit me in the feels

• Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, Dakratfink said:

Sort of late to the game, but to the Original poster. Great Story and excellent  build. 
I also have a couple of RCs I inherited form my late Dad. Our Vintage Yokomo YZ10 which is almost exactly how we ran it in the late 80s ( survivor car, not so much “restored “ as just soldered you some Nihm cells into a saddle pack shape) 

I also have a “resto Mod “ early version of a Traxxas Stampede with modern electronics that I never remember my dad owning.

Long story short, I love your thread. It hit me in the feels

Thank you! :)

• Like 1