Busdriver

non hex wheels

Is there any way to adapt non hex wheels to work on a 4WD vehicle.ie if I wanted to fit Blitzer wheels to a CC01 chassis how would i get the front wheels driven. If they came in pairs one could just buy two rear sets but they come as a set of 4 so 2 sets would be needed?

There is no easy way. The axles required for blitzer fronts are really long too. If you can get some kind of extender then my best suggestion would be to use the plastic bushings that come in tamiya kits instead of bearings, and dremel a 2mm slot in one of them so it could engage with the pin through the driveshaft.

• Like 1

sorry should have said that I just picked these two as they happened to be ones i have.I wasnt actually going to do this. (But now you suggest it?????:unsure:) The question really was just in General " how do you do that "

With a custom machined hub adapter is how. One end is machined the same as a hex wheel to fit a CC-01 hub, the other is machined like a Blitzer hub/axle to fit the Blitzer wheel. Possibly would also need to machine the wheel itself to reduce the offset to account for the extra offset of the custom adapter. It might be possible to alternatively fill the existing hole in the wheel with epoxy, then machine a hex socket and axle hole directly into the wheel to suit the CC-01, thus not needing an adapter.

9/10 times it's not worth the effort to do stuff like this, just buy wheels that already fit. There are plenty of non-tamiya wheels that will fit as the CC-01 uses a standard 12mm hex. It's also less effort to just buy more off-the-shelf parts when they inevitably break or wear out than having to worry about spending hours making custom replacement parts.

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

There is no easy way. The axles required for blitzer fronts are really long too. If you can get some kind of extender then my best suggestion would be to use the plastic bushings that come in tamiya kits instead of bearings, and dremel a 2mm slot in one of them so it could engage with the pin through the driveshaft.

That's a really good idea - superglue the bushes into the wheel, and use one of them as a direct pin drive!

fwiw. I was considering the opposite thing -  ie. trying to mount 12mm hex wheels onto a free-wheeling axle - for the SRB Cage Racer... I ended up geting some custom hubs 3D printed (which I then glued into the 12mm Hex wheels, and which took an 1150 and 850 bearing). However the wheels themselves needed to be drilled out (so the wheel-nut did up on the bearing, not the face of the wheel), and as nbTTM suggests, ultimately what you have is a hybrid wheel that would need work should it ever need replacing... in my case I found out that Locked-Up RC make a dedicated aluminium freewheel hub for their (and Vanquish) wheels, although that is a pretty expensive option of course.

But back to the way round Busdriver wants to do things - I'd have though that cutting a pin slot in a Tamiya bush and gluing them into the wheel as ThunderDragonCy suggests would be straightforward and work well in this instance?

Jenny x

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

If you want to use Blitzer wheels, just use 4 rears.

Absolutely this. 

You can mount the front tyres on the rears etc if you want narrower profiles

I can use Blitzer wheels but they seem to come in sets of 4 so would have to buy twoo sets?

1 hour ago, Prescient said:

Yes 2 sets and they are pretty cheap plus you can sell the fronts on if not used.

They would be really useful for people trying to make a 0-wheel-drive vehicle :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

They would be really useful for people trying to make a 0-wheel-drive vehicle :)

It always amazes me the spares people buy though.

You could keep a pair and make an off-road trailer to tow behind the CC-01?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I've got loads of fronts, it's the rears I keep breaking!

I've already got 2 fronts and 2 rears spare from the cc01 so plenty of trailer material. I think I'll leave this idea and move on!!!!