Sign in to follow this  
graemevw

Lipo soldering

I started the change to lipo, ordered a pair that looked like they will fit, they didnt.

So, i did the obvious thing and popped the case open to see what could be done. I know that was a little stupid.

So, this is what i find...

nFornOU.jpg

So, i can shorten the case enough to get them to fit, but it would be great to make the leads side exit too.

Im no stranger to electronics, or soldering, and have decent soldering equipment but lipo are all new to me.

I read they often have aluminium tabs and use special solder. Look likely in this case?

What i was hoping though is that i could just melt the solder, rotate the lead and reset the joint. That way i wouldnt need any more solder. If this was a normal solder joint i wouldnt have flinched and would have done it by now.

Any thoughts? Other than buy new batteries.

Closer inspection, the tabs look like copper, so shouldnt be an issue. Apart from not putting too much heat into the battery and not shorting it, anything i should know about this? Ive put together nimh packs before.

Am i being over cautious, or is doing this as stupid as im assuming?

I've never attempted to move the wires.  However, I will say, if you accidentally get any solder to bridge between the positive and negative connections on accident, there will be a loud pop and the battery will be destroyed (I destroyed a battery changing connectors).  You have to make sure to not let the warmed up solder run where it shouldn't go since it looks like the positive wire is underneath (from that angle).

11 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

I've never attempted to move the wires.  However, I will say, if you accidentally get any solder to bridge between the positive and negative connections on accident, there will be a loud pop and the battery will be destroyed (I destroyed a battery changing connectors).  You have to make sure to not let the warmed up solder run where it shouldn't go since it looks like the positive wire is underneath (from that angle).

Yep, positive wire is underneath, but i can stand it up (supported) if need be. Ill probably protect the terminal im not working on. 

The folded up sides you can see, by the terminals, covered in paper tape. Im guessing i cant trim those?

Tbh, all looks pretty straight forward, barring stupid mistakes, i dont see any big issues, but thats why i figured id ask just to make sure.

Next time ill just make sure i get ones that fit lol.

I resoldered the wires, no problems. Cut new holes in the case, just need to shorten it now and all should be well.

Ill check it fits before doing the second one.

• Like 1